Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale On-road R/C > Car Discussion
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Car Discussion Touring cars, Rally Cars, Drifters, whatever!
Talk among yourselves!

Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default 1957 Chevrolet / National Landau Hearse

This build kinda fell into my lap, it's taking on a life of its own and was taking over another thread. We now join a build already in progress...

This could work as a period correct speeder for Adam-12 to catch...

What, where'd that come from? Vhs cassette rewinder? Nobody got time for that.
--

On the VHS-rewinder body, keep it the classic Shoebox 2-door 1957 Chevy everybody already knows and loves, or go coach-build professional car in a National Body Manufacturing Company kinda way?

https://jalopnik.com/1957-chevrolet-...35-000-5209282
https://hearseforsale.org/chevrolet/...ulance-hearse/

I like the look of them as a Landau style hearse. Maybe paint up a goth girl driving it, or to lean on the fender. Maybe some hotrod or lowrider touches have been added since it's been retired out of service...
Or is that too weird, and i should not have set this on top of the boxed (out-of-scale) Ecto-1? Black, GM, lots of chrome, fins...

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2redrovers View Post
I say go the Goth.. But I like that sorta thing. Does it sound strange that I like the looks of this body type

But with the less bling look of the second
--

Oh crap, the girl who didn't fit in the beach theme with the vw bus when it has surfboards found her calling. Redo makeup & hair, maybe repaint corset, add stockings or miniskirt later. She's got the look and attitude to handle this.

Thinking about 2.5" stretch to add back door, roofs going to be flat/satin for vinyl, landau style with some full-view kinda windows next to the load door. Probably some torque-thrust wheels if i can find a 1/16 f&f charger for a donor chassis.

The girls take it out for 1 last party at the graveyard.

Send it!

--

Take a 2 piece junk body, make it 1 piece and set aside until inspiration hits...

Make the perfectly good body 3 pieces, make them not touch or touch weird. Grab solvent weld, make it 2 pieces. Grab soldering iron, make D-pillar connections stronger. Grab solvent weld and scrap, make it 1 piece. Grab brass and epoxy putty, make the roof sorta touch like it thinks the world sucks.

Grab some masking tape and a sharpie, so the insanity shows up better. But *don't* actually look at any of the source pictures you've spent the weekend looking up, the phone's in the other room and you're somehow that lazy?

I know there's a lot of Superior, M&M, Eureka... sneaking in there, however I'm already feeling that a lot more than a normal shoebox chevy.

--

Is that stock roof heights "chop-top look" working, or should i really hate myself and try to go for a high roof with commercial glass? If i chop in a little more at D-pillar window area it might give me the rake without fully hating myself, but it's still adds lots of loathing in probably adding even more compound cuves. Or maybe it was once a high-top, but she had it chopped during the restoration?

If i keep the drip-molding area line on the roof, it'd be building it like a Combination car (ambulance or limo style hearse with removable landau panels) instead of landau (no window, just steel with the irons).

Looks like National built these as end-loaders, no 3-ways, so i shouldn't suicide the back doors. Their rear loading door opened toward 'street side' for some reason, i'd rather it be 'curb side' even if it's not true to form.

http://www.hearseclub.com/members/larry/larry.htm
fairly close to what i was thinking for end goal.

--

If it started as an ambulance or coach, i'd want the high top for the medic to have some room to work or adjusting bier pins around casket without cracking their head.
If it was a first-call car, stock roof works, bag on a cot serviced in the rear, but those are mostly just wagons, trucks, sedan deliveries, or vans.

--
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/n/national/national.htm

I'm not a rivet counter. I don't have access to a real one to check anything. I'm going to try for mostly correct, hopefully where it counts. It will be a 'custom' not only because much cooler, but absolutely everything that's 'Stock chevy and/or national' actually would have to be scratch build custom instead of using any available donor parts. If that offends anyone into Professional Cars or Societies which enjoy them, please build a better radio-control hearse and i will gladly have my funeral coach go park in the row of misfits somewhere off behind you.

There's even an old 1980s box-style Chevy Caprice police car (cord remote) from NewBright which would be a faster and easier conversion to Cadillac and a Hearse, i suggest you start with to show me up if you feel the need. It will probably be something 'Accubuilt' and there's plenty of reference material on them. The time you save on bodywork can be used to build all kinds of perfect details. That was my original plan, but a 57 appeared. I will drool all over your car, and be highly impressed.

I AM ABSOLUTELY OPEN TO CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM AND SUGGUSTIONS.

So you know what i'm gonna say, right?
So come on, LETS GO!

Last edited by frizzen : 03-03-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Party in the row of misfit hearses!
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 AM
Another Newbie

So come on, let's go!

Oops, ya broke it.

I don't even know how many parts the body has been now.

Tack it together, and get the masking tape again

That's about as high as the windshield can easily go, and that rake keeps the vent windows from needing completely reworked.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Haaaaa
Sweet.
Stretch that critter.

Going to be a hoot watching this come together.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

I like the revision, the lift in the back gives the coach built impression even if you don't round over the roof like some 1:1 seemed to do. Once you get done with the details, the Landau top will make it unmistakable as a hearse.

Good idea to give it it's own thread... I heard a couple of the officers muttering in the hall.....

"Man this place gives me the creeps lately... Yeah I know what you mean, I thought I'd taken a wrong turn and ended up in the morgue"

..sheesh calm down fellas, bit of formaldehyde never hurt anyone
Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Another Newbie

Its gonna be fun burning the pillars back together and getting it smooth enough for chrome, but i think thats got the roof rake looking about right. National didn't seem to go too crazy with the fwd/aft roof arch, but it's a little noticeable so i'll need to do that.

Now it's got the damn ''commercial glass", break a window and they'll want to total the whole car.

Thanks 2beers, it should at least be interesting.

Some of the new guys over there are just squeamish. I think they're afraid of their own shadow. Unlike the guy getting transported in the police car, ya don't have to worry about someone in the back of this doing something stupid.

This is about the only car where i'll have to pick out curtains...
Old 02-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Wasting Time'r

Yeah if you're drivin this around and the guy in the back starts complaining or movin about...well I reckon you've got real problems then..... Hey did you hear that?? Wait, there it is again...

The construction takes more brain than I have right now (which is why you're making it and I'm just makin jokes) but I'm enjoying the ride along... Anime goth chick in a fifties hearse, what's not to like?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Another Newbie

I like the jokes and interaction, i'm here to share stuff. I can talk to myself at home, and its less work.

Black on black hearse, anime gothic chick, a skeleton, mag wheels, side pipes, ground effect lights matching the curtains, maybe a casket...
Old 02-12-2019, 01:05 AM
Wasting Time'r

I'd love to have more actual content to share on my builds but life happens, instead I bring popcorn and bad jokes to add to the shenanigans. I did actually test drive the truck the other weekend but the steering sucked and the front end was all wobbly... Meh, too hard basket for now until I rebuild things.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:01 AM
Wasting Time'r

Couldn't help but laugh when I scrolled past this one..
Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Well, if we're posting random hearse pics:

Name:  superior.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  43.9 KB

This is my old Superior. Bought it from a friend who was using it as a shed. I remember single-digit fuel economy. This was 20+ years ago.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Another Newbie

Cool 70s superior 3-way! Ouch, that's some bad gas milage, big block and a 3 speed? I'm good with random hearses too. I'll have to recreate one of my favorite hearse joke pics

The hearse still looks like the last pic, but the A & D pillars touch again. Burning in lots more connections between body parts...

Also i picked up a 1/16 fast furious charger donor chassis. The wheels look killer, the design is great to change wheelbases, but it's kinda narrow.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 AM
Another Newbie

What were you whining about last time you wanted a hearse?

And this time?

Another mockup with the pipes

Also you were making jokes, it's my turn.

Jada 1/16 fast furious chassis, gutted, stretched out. Needs wheels widened

--
Also saw the coach at the bottom of this page
http://www.graveyardhaulerz.com/Hearse.html
...uh...no.
If that were the only option, this would not be a build.

Last edited by frizzen : 03-03-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Another Newbie

Most custom bodies will at some point enter into the 'Hammered Turd' stage before they go back to looking good.

Melt some plastic, file some plastic, melt some plastic, file some plastic...

It's on its way out of Hammered Turd, but i need to pick up a heatgun to get roof taken care of. I lost some arch, still needed more anyway, and it preloaded an A-pillar that's wanting to pop.

I kinda like showing some of the BAD to help when people see the pretty good at the end. Too many just go Good, broken, offscreen magic, beautiful car. It's not too intimidating doing body work, and even if you think it needs Malletized, it can grow out of it

Little rough file work and some sandpaper

Relax i never liked zoomies! But it is getting chrome lake pipes with a downturn like the straw up above.

Last edited by frizzen : 03-03-2019 at 04:53 AM.