Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.55's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.55's Scale trucks that use 1.55" fitting tires and similar. Approx 1/10th scalers with wheels smaller than 1.9".

Old 02-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 10576
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
Looking good.
Scratched up leafs too..
This is such an awesome build. Loving the extra efforts in it.
Seriously giving me the bug and inspiration to get to scratching something up again..or finish what I have started ahahaha.
Shackles were a great Idea using chain links.
I think you would have been ok with them too as long as the chassis is.
Should provide plenty of flex from the length is my thoughts.
As for cross members.
Maybe Axail ones. You can purchase them separate I believe.

When I did the 63 GMC I custom made mine "Cross Members" I spaced out the leafs farther apart on the SawBack axles, It made for a lot better stable plat form and reduced the chances of roll over significantly.
Just an Idea...

More please.
I think I'll get some better suspension action out of those longer shackles, we'll see. Yeah Im trying to space out my leafs a bit my making mounts for them to stick out wider than the stock position on the T-Rex 60 axles. I'm really not feeling these axles right now, but I'll deal with them for the time being.

I couldnt leave good enough alone with my chassis and was trying to re-bend part of it, and ended up snapping one of them. So I just bought some aluminum bars of the same dimension and they bend very well without any heat, so I think Ill just use those instead. My drill press finally arrived, so I can start drilling/mounting things as well.

Is it better for the shackle movement to mount the shackles/hangers on the outside of the chassis instead of underneath? That way there's no chance of them hitting the bottom of the rails. It looks like, from what I can tell, at least some of the 1:1 'burbans do it like this.

Last edited by JoeThePro : 02-10-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 15933

the front leafs are under the frame on 1-1s and the rear is outside the frame
Old 02-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
the front leafs are under the frame on 1-1s and the rear is outside the frame
OK thanks, and is the frame straight, or more narrow at front? I can't find any clear pics but it seems like it's straight?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeThePro View Post
OK thanks, and is the frame straight, or more narrow at front? I can't find any clear pics but it seems like it's straight?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
it is narrower at the front
Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Wasting Time'r

http://pecks-customs.blogspot.com/20...4-project.html
there are some pics here but not real good ones
Old 02-10-2017, 09:09 PM
Wasting Time'r

the front of the frame is not a lot narrower then the rear but just a little
Old 02-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Wasting Time'r

Thanks walter. So... if the leafs are under the front and outside the rear, and the front is narrower, then the front leafs are mounted drastically narrower than the rear leafs? Is that correct? I guess to give the wheels clearance to turn?
Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Thanks walter. So... if the leafs are under the front and outside the rear, and the front is narrower, then the front leafs are mounted drastically narrower than the rear leafs? Is that correct? I guess to give the wheels clearance to turn?
yes thats about it ,I will try and get some pics of my chevy
Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Wasting Time'r

got some pics
left front leaf at front of leaf ,leaf mount just outside frame

left front leaf looking to rear ,centered under frame, from the rear of the front leaf to the front end of the frame is tapering inward

right rear leaf looking forward mounts about two inches outside frame

I hope this help some
Old 02-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Wasting Time'r

Thanks, Walter! Is this actually a suburban, or is it a truck with a similar/same chassis?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Thanks, Walter! Is this actually a suburban, or is it a truck with a similar/same chassis?
its a 1975 long bed, the suburban has the same frame as trucks just the length is different
the frame stayed the same from 73 to 90 for the suburban
Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Wasting Time'r

Finally made some progress worth sharing. Since I snapped one of the steel rails I just remade them both out of aluminum. Cut and bent up some C channel to use as cross members, made some mounts for the leaf springs on the axle (not sure exactly how it will work with the screws since there is literally no clearance under the mount, but Ill figure something out), and made some spring hangers.

Got the Tamiya High Lift leafs in, and holy $#!+ they are stiff. Mind bogglingly stiff. Here they are next to a homemade one I did, you can see they are thicker and wider. Doubt they will work for what I want. Ill either go with super soft RC4WD springs, or keep working on these homemade suckers and make some accessory leafs for them. My only concern is they are pretty narrow, so Id probably have to use like M2 screws to not totally compromise the steel, and Im not sure how I feel about that.

The 10" drill press also recently arrived, so nice to finally have.

Hoping to get the leaf mounts situated next, bend the front of the chassis in a bit so the wheels dont hit the leafs when turning, and get the drivetrain/electronics mounted. Could be next week, could be next month. I can never tell how these things will go. Im always having to do things 3 times because I designed poorly the first 2 or messed something up!

Oh, and my wife got me a little 66 'burban as a valentine.

Last edited by JoeThePro : 02-15-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 9078

Now that's a nice valentine! Much better than chocolate and all that other stuff.

Keep up the good work on the 'Burban. Lots of us eager to see what happens next!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25aniv View Post
Now that's a nice valentine! Much better than chocolate and all that other stuff.

Keep up the good work on the 'Burban. Lots of us eager to see what happens next!
I agree! I'm tryin'.

Got some more done during a few way-too-late nights. More cutting, drilling, and filing, then scrapping and re-cutting, re-drilling, and re-filing... But I had some help from Jack swagger and Jax.

Got the front springs bent up (after about 3 failed attempts and incorrect length cuts, good thing I have lots of springs steel), really hoping these work out when its all said and done. They will all need at least one helper spring which I've cut to size as well.

Cutting the plastic spring loop bushings.

Jax ended up just shooting holes in the aluminum.

Hangin' the hangers. If you look closely you can see the 2 holes where they mount to the chassis are uneven, that was a fun surprise. They were actually off more than it shows here. I guess the drill bit... er.. bullet... drifted when I... uh I mean Jax... was making the holes. It took alot of control not to break the chassis over my knee, but it ended up not really being a problem. Just annoying!

Jack, overseeing the work. Its hard to tell here, but I narrowed the front of the chassis for the wheels to clear the leafs at full turn. This is also why the hangers/shackles are in line with the rails and not offset to the side like they are in the rear.

The springs are not mounted to the axles yet, gotta make those mounts, and Im also waiting on my M2.5 screws/nuts to arrive. REALLY hoping that my holes are perfectly aligned to the axles sit straight. I'm going to expect them not to, but I'm not sure how to fix it at this point if they are off a little bit.

I think I need a break. I'll probably take a few days off and just let it sit and clear my head for the next round of building. It's getting close to roller status!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 9078

"I think I need a break. I'll probably take a few days off and just let it sit and clear my head for the next round of building"

Sometimes that does wonders for the direction of a project. Hang with it though and it'll just start to click. I've gotten frustrated with my dually a few times (as I'm sure many have along the way with their projects). Even stepping away for just a few minutes can help refocus.