Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.9's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.9's Scale trucks that use 1.9" tires. Discuss your XC and similar type trucks.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 AM
Junkyard Stance's Avatar
Junkyard Stance Junkyard Stance is offline
Junkyard Obsessive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 169
Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default The Junkyard Stance Land Rover Challenge Truck, Pan-hard Mounts

Many thanks to hairba11 and marzo for some guidance on how to achieve a properly setup front pan-hard mount early in this build, this resulted in designs for some custom mounts, one for the front axle, and one for the chassis

Name:  01_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Pan_Hard.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  80.1 KB

Here's the printed parts, they are first printed in a waxy resin which becomes the mould for the cast metal, here there finished in "Polished Nickel", which is the brightest cast metal Shapeways currently offer

Name:  02_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A1990.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  96.3 KB

Here's the axle mount, in-situ

Name:  03_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3365.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  82.8 KB

and at the other end, the chassis mount

Name:  04_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3367.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  95.3 KB

This has resulted in the pan-hard link rod being almost horizontal at rest

Name:  05_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3371.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  95.6 KB

It all aligns nice and tight when at full compression, and horizontal movement is all gone ! Thanks for the advice guys

On a slight aside - I'm never keen on seeing the M4 wheels bolts on a build,

Name:  06_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3382.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  91.1 KB

So, thought I'd hide these with a high def wheel hub print - which also added 2mm to the track on each side

Name:  07_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3383.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  98.3 KB

Now to take a wheel off, I have 6 really fiddly bolts to remove, instead of one M4 nut ! - the joys of RC !

Here's a few more of the current state of play, these will be the last pics for a while as I now need to go do some building !, thanks for reading this far

Name:  08_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3297.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  09_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3330.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  10_Junkyard_Stance_Land_Rover_D90_Defender_Challenge_Truck_Gelande_RC_Build_284A3315.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  90.4 KB
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-16-2017, 05:32 AM
hairba11's Avatar
hairba11 hairba11 is offline
Rollin' in the winnie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St. Louis (high ridge)
Posts: 2,296
Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)
Default

It's looking great! I love the details you get in on your builds.
As for the front, I'd almost think getting a stock front end would get more hits on shapeways, but on the other hand, between hpi, gelande, and the new traxxas there are lots of scale clean front ends available.
Give it the true Junkyard Stance.
Cut down panels bolted to cage.
Or dove nosed.
Maybe an air cleaner poking through the hood, or a fender mounted Venturi style if diesel.
Model in some dents. Round off the corners a little.
Some trick exhaust port out the side of the fender or through the hood.
Or a stack with a tractor flap on top with a pushrod that runs to a micro servo wyed into the throttle channel so when you're on throttle the flap is up.

And while you're at it, I'd like a recessed gas filler with cap, or opening bedside flap, with a barrel jack the same size as the one in transmitters, so I can use my radio charger plug to charge my truck so it looks like I'm fueling it up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 18 seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Junkyard Stance's Avatar
Junkyard Stance Junkyard Stance is offline
Junkyard Obsessive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 169
Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
It's looking great! I love the details you get in on your builds.
As for the front, I'd almost think getting a stock front end would get more hits on shapeways, but on the other hand, between hpi, gelande, and the new traxxas there are lots of scale clean front ends available.
Give it the true Junkyard Stance.
Cut down panels bolted to cage.
Or dove nosed.
Maybe an air cleaner poking through the hood, or a fender mounted Venturi style if diesel.
Model in some dents. Round off the corners a little.
Some trick exhaust port out the side of the fender or through the hood.
Or a stack with a tractor flap on top with a pushrod that runs to a micro servo wyed into the throttle channel so when you're on throttle the flap is up.

And while you're at it, I'd like a recessed gas filler with cap, or opening bedside flap, with a barrel jack the same size as the one in transmitters, so I can use my radio charger plug to charge my truck so it looks like I'm fueling it up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks hairba11, You and I think alike, plenty of standard Defender bodies out there, and I want this to stand out - this was always meant to be a junkyard fest, so I'll be building a cage that defines the Landy shape, and then filling the holes with whatever scrap feels appropriate

I don't really want to build what I think others might want from Shapeways - it's more like, build what I think looks cool, and if others like it, I'm happy, and it can be available.

I love your idea of a tractor flap, I was thinking of some kind of vertical exhaust from behind the cab, but through the hood or fender could also look way cool

I was planning perhaps an old school style snorkel, not like the modern moulded ones, more like a tubular chimney bolted to the windscreen edge

I'll definitely be designing some kind of custom bonnet/hood, a bit like on the last Defenders, but on steroids - huge air intake with space to slide in some scale grill, like on the vents in the bulkhead

So, I think next up will be the design of a full roll-cage, I'm planning on 3D printing all the complicated junctions where to tubes would meet and any curved parts, then cutting straight lengths of either 4, 5 or 6mm aluminium tube and piecing the whole cage together.

I've never built a full roll cage before, by hand, 3D printed or otherwise, so it will be a new challenge !

Thanks for checking in with the build

N
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 PM
hairba11's Avatar
hairba11 hairba11 is offline
Rollin' in the winnie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St. Louis (high ridge)
Posts: 2,296
Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)
Default

Printing the cage bits would look awesome. I'm hand building one in the 2.2 section and if you look close you can see how crooked it is. Symmetry is hard to get without a jig.
The home made snorkels I see around here are pvc pipe or corrugated flexible black drain pipe screwed to the body with hardware strap.
A defender was a jeep with manners. I might be worth checking out some "mud truck" pics of jeeps for some inspiration


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 18 seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-17-2017, 07:31 PM
Frederik Frederik is offline
Do you ever leave the board?
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,285
Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default

Wow very nice finish on the hi res print pieces, nylon vs hi def steering wheel is night and day. Wonder what shapeways will have to say about the slight imperfections in it. Last set of pictures is very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-18-2017, 11:18 AM
Junkyard Stance's Avatar
Junkyard Stance Junkyard Stance is offline
Junkyard Obsessive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 169
Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
Printing the cage bits would look awesome. I'm hand building one in the 2.2 section and if you look close you can see how crooked it is. Symmetry is hard to get without a jig.
The home made snorkels I see around here are pvc pipe or corrugated flexible black drain pipe screwed to the body with hardware strap.
A defender was a jeep with manners. I might be worth checking out some "mud truck" pics of jeeps for some inspiration


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks hairba11
FYI - Your hand build cage is looking top-notch, symmetric or not !
Thanks for the tip on the Jeep Mud Trucks, I grabbed some great reference from that search
"A defender was a jeep with manners" - LOL - Ever driven a 1:1 Defender ? I've never driven a Jeep, but I don't believe it could be any more "agricultural" than a Land Rover - it's pretty grim,,,
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Junkyard Stance's Avatar
Junkyard Stance Junkyard Stance is offline
Junkyard Obsessive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 169
Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
Wow very nice finish on the hi res print pieces, nylon vs hi def steering wheel is night and day. Wonder what shapeways will have to say about the slight imperfections in it. Last set of pictures is very cool!
Hi Frederik, Thanks for checking in with the build.
I've sent in my "complaint" to Shapeways, and I await their response, I'll post their answer here, when I have it -
FYI, your Escort MKii build is possibly the most awesome thread on this whole Forum ( IMHO ) - I've got an Old-School-Ford collection of my own going on, all solid axle RWD

When time allows, I plan start a thread with a new RWD chassis build for the Capri Turbo Gr5 shell I've got waiting !
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Squidger's Avatar
Squidger Squidger is offline
Still got a lot of learning to do
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Weybridge, Surrey
Posts: 151
Member Number: 2259
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

This is Absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see whats coming next!
__________________
Current collection : D90 custom chassis, D90 Wild Dagger Chassis, Hilux CC01, Bronco 3SPD highlift, TL01B Wild Dagger Monster truck and many tamiya touring cars
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 AM
Junkyard Stance's Avatar
Junkyard Stance Junkyard Stance is offline
Junkyard Obsessive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 169
Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidger View Post
This is Absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see whats coming next!
Thanks Squidger ! , very glad you're enjoying my Land Rover build thread, currently I'm working on the front end, the roll cage and how that fits with all the front end panels - wings, grill, bonnet and headlamps etc

More to come when I've got something worth showing !
Thanks
N
__________________
It's not the age - it's the milage
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Frederik Frederik is offline
Do you ever leave the board?
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,285
Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Stance View Post
Hi Frederik, Thanks for checking in with the build.
I've sent in my "complaint" to Shapeways, and I await their response, I'll post their answer here, when I have it -
FYI, your Escort MKii build is possibly the most awesome thread on this whole Forum ( IMHO ) - I've got an Old-School-Ford collection of my own going on, all solid axle RWD

When time allows, I plan start a thread with a new RWD chassis build for the Capri Turbo Gr5 shell I've got waiting !
Wow thanks for the props about the Escort! I guess everyone has their own soft spots as far as car/truck choice for builds, I guess since you are a 1:1 scale Ford gearhead my mostly mechanical build falls in what you like haha Or do you mean your old school ford collection is RC?

So what are your chassis plans for the Capri, custom or modded existing chassis? From the look of the body it looks like those have little in common with the road or rally cars, but I just googled it and saw it was still the original configuration, front macpherson and rear 4-linked solid axle, but in a very extreme way, cool! I'll be keeping an eye on the onroad sub forum for your upcoming Capri build then

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/...ltimate-capri/

What about doing 3D prints of different on-road solid rear axles for car builds, based off of existing axle components? Could buy SDI or other small components and fit them in scale looking axle printed by shapeways. Even better would be find a commonly available working open diff that has a locking options, so you can decide to build locked or open diff axle for on-road builds. But now I'm just daydreaming, maybe that would not sell enough to justify the design
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Coolaid202's Avatar
Coolaid202 Coolaid202 is offline
Sudbury Valley School is a place where people decide for themselves
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 562
Member Number: 2391
B/S/T Feedback: (5)
Default

.

I have no words for the amazing work of this build.

Where did you get the chassis mounts for the lower links, are they from the Gelande? Just what I need.

.
__________________
-Never trouble trouble, till trouble troubles you.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Junkyard Stance's Avatar
Junkyard Stance Junkyard Stance is offline
Junkyard Obsessive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 169
Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
Wow thanks for the props about the Escort! I guess everyone has their own soft spots as far as car/truck choice for builds, I guess since you are a 1:1 scale Ford gearhead my mostly mechanical build falls in what you like haha Or do you mean your old school ford collection is RC?

So what are your chassis plans for the Capri, custom or modded existing chassis? From the look of the body it looks like those have little in common with the road or rally cars, but I just googled it and saw it was still the original configuration, front macpherson and rear 4-linked solid axle, but in a very extreme way, cool! I'll be keeping an eye on the onroad sub forum for your upcoming Capri build then

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/...ltimate-capri/

What about doing 3D prints of different on-road solid rear axles for car builds, based off of existing axle components? Could buy SDI or other small components and fit them in scale looking axle printed by shapeways. Even better would be find a commonly available working open diff that has a locking options, so you can decide to build locked or open diff axle for on-road builds. But now I'm just daydreaming, maybe that would not sell enough to justify the design
Hi Frederik,

Both happily and sadly, my Old school Ford collection only exists in the 1:10 RC world (at the mo!)

Treat this as a little teaser of what's coming up next after this Land Rover build thread - it all started with an Escort MkI shell, and me wanting to do a RWD chassis up build, using a solid rear axle, and leaf-springs

Name:  01_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Escort_mki_mk1_01.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  86.2 KB

I've got some 3D printed bumpers, light buckets, and other detail parts at various stages of design, and another blank Mk1 shell, which will get the full Junkyard paint job

Name:  02_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Escort_mki_mk1_02.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  98.0 KB

Here's what lies underneath - this is about the third version of this chassis that I've made, though this one is still "PG" - Pre-Glasses ( middle-age ! )

Name:  03_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Escort_mki_mk1_03.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  94.9 KB

And from the top and bottom

Name:  04_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Escort_mki_mk1_04.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  86.4 KB

Next up is the Escort Mk2 shell I've been planning - A full Ken Block style body kit perhaps ?

Name:  05_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Escort_mkii_mk2_01.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  90.6 KB

It will need some kind of arch extensions, as the 200mm wide chassis for the Mk2 Escort is well underway - Each time I build it, it gets a little sleeker, lower and straighter ! - This is the first version after purchasing some reading glasses - there was a whole world of millimeters that I was blissfully unaware of !

Name:  06_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Escort_mkii_mk2_02.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  94.2 KB

This version of the chassis for the MK2 Escort includes a custom gearbox that I've design and build myself - Getting the final drive ratio right, using a solid rear axle, has proved to be tricky !

Name:  07_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Escort_mkii_mk2_03.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  98.4 KB

My plan for the my Old Skool Ford Build thread is to show the Escorts - hopefully complete, or at least nearly finished - and then fully detail one more rebuild the chassis - this time for the Capri Turbo Gr5 - dropping the leaf springs, and going for something a little more like the 1:1

Thanks of the Speed Hunters link - this is absolutely fantastic reference - you could spend five years working in that much detail !

Here's how the Capri looks at the mo - I like latexing the inside to cut my stencils

Name:  08_Junkyard_Stance_Old_School_Ford_Capri_Turbo_gr5_01.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  84.3 KB

More Escort details, and the full Capri Turbo build coming up at some point this year in my "Old School Ford" thread, sometime in the summer, I guess

I love the idea of detailed scale axle housings (though I'm addicted to the RC Channel's metal items at the mo) - Do you think SDI4x4 components would be a wise choice to base a test design on ?

Nick
Junkyard Stance
__________________
It's not the age - it's the milage
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Junkyard Stance's Avatar
Junkyard Stance Junkyard Stance is offline
Junkyard Obsessive
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 169
Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolaid202 View Post
.

I have no words for the amazing work of this build.

Where did you get the chassis mounts for the lower links, are they from the Gelande? Just what I need.

.
Thanks Coolaid202 ! Very happy you're being entertained by the build

The chassis mounts for the lower links are indeed from the original Gelande kit - Though I'm using the Gelande 1 chassis in this build, the current Gelande 2 kit may be different.

Thanks for the interest in the build
__________________
It's not the age - it's the milage
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Frederik Frederik is offline
Do you ever leave the board?
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,285
Member Number: 20276
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default

Wow Nick this post is totally full of awesome! Thanks for the preview but now I don't know how I'm going to wait until summer to see more!! I can relate to your fabrication style. I like how in the MK1 pics you can see the front lower control arms slightly, looks mean. Very exciting stuff you have going there. Have you tried it yet with the double battery? I am guessing the higher CG might help handle more realistically. I also looked at RC Channel parts a good while ago but they were pretty expensive, they do look awesome in there. And front suspension fits perfect too.

As for wise axle components choice for designing housings, I do not know at the moment... I really like how small the SDI components, they make it possible to have a correctly sized looking axle for cars, and are not too expensive, and simple to mod (I fit Axial axles shafts on mine). But you get stuck with a spool (locked axle) with no direct swap open diff. For on-road cars I would rather have a choice of open diff and lock it if needed...

I would research to find the ideal diff, and start designing from there:

1) diff is small enough to fit in a scale looking housing
2) has a locked diff option that can drop in
3) readily available (to be sure they stay available long enough for your design to stay). Maybe some Tamiya diffs? They tend to make the same model forever haha
4) not too expensive, so we can buy your housings and the internals separately and end up with a nice scale set not too expensive

That would be the most versatile choice, I just don't know of enough models to tell which...

I have a Tamiya TB-01 rally and the diffs seems pretty stout, metal gears. It has splined gears so it would take splined shafts, not sure which model to source them from though. And being quite old I'm not sure they can be found that easily... I'll keep thinking about that a bit and let you know if I have some ideas! I think once you find a nice set of diff internals you could design a few axles styles around it, that would be totally awesome. Like sort out the inside dimensions so the diff, pinion and bearings are all at the right places, and the play with the axle's outside looks to get different axles reproduced.

Fred
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM
DougJ's Avatar
DougJ DougJ is offline
Idiot of the Month, July 2016 - Entered a giveaway completely by accident!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 1,185
Member Number: 20650
B/S/T Feedback: (2)
Default

Maybe a CC01 rear diff? They're a little chunky but not that big considering they use the same spider gears as almost every other Tamiya diff. They also can be locked with a part that's included on the CC01 gear parts tree.

EDIT: Do the RCChannel axles fit the full diff or just a spool? I was under the impression that there's only a spool in there, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, Scale 4x4 R/C