Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:57 PM
JOE

Member Number: 1683
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Looking back, it's almost two yrs to the day since I last repaired this bucket cyl... I wonder why it won't hold? It's the only I've ever had trouble with. It started to drip a few days ago, couldn't tell for sure where exactly. This afternoon it was pouring out the crack!

The ol' Mammoth works pretty good as a workbench.

Just giving the cyl a coat of paint, I'll go brush the other half after this post.

If it weren't for the leak, I probably would have been taken it apart soon anyway b/c the bolt that holds the piston to the rod was a few threads loose.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
JOE

I tried to work at the interior of my workshop the last couple wks of warmer weather, but my lower back just won't let me do that kind of heavy work anymore, so I got builder crew to do it this week, 3 guys did it inside of 2 days.

front entry – room is 24 x 30 sq feet. I have a 12’ width roll up door directly left of picture. I do my cutting, grinding, welding in this room.

middle room – 18 x 30 sq feet. There will be a semi circle of sit down workbenches to the left of pic, going around from one door to the other door on other side of room. To the right of pic will be where my manual lathe & mill sits. The room has a closed in roof so it can be heated warmer than rest of building, I can work in a T shirt. Lots of room for new projects & old projects & space to make quick repairs to get equip back in the field asap.

back room – 18 x 30 sq feet. Dirt floor, a place to mess around & test out new equip, painting parts, ect. The 850 will come out here after seeding to move piles of dirt around wall edges to seal up building from outside weather.

back room – I will cut a door opening here to access lean-to structure. Lean-to will be 13 x 40 area, which will give me access to my house via a tunnel.

this pic shows where the lean-to structure to be built this summer, but 1st I need to pour concrete slab in corner of house, northward 15 feet (camera currently pointing south), then lean-to will be placed one foot over north edge of concrete. Then the Lil Giants Constr Co will dig a 15’ x 4’ x 7’ tunnel under the concrete slab over the next few yrs. Approx 15.5 cu yds + additional yardage for elevated ramp to rise to ground level at approx. 12 incline.

In a wk or 2, hopefully it's above 10C, I primer & paint the walls a bright white. Then the electrician will do his thing while I'm planting my crops in May... and sometime this summer I set up shop & start using it! Boy oh Boy do I have a lot of ideas & projects that have stacked up over the last couple of yrs to get started on.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 PM
what are we talking about?

Member Number: 3477

WOW that is one heck of a nice workshop! congrats
Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Member Number: 21561

Hi there I was just wondering about your tamiya mammoth if you like it or not
Old 04-05-2014, 05:57 PM
JOE

Thanx rockpile, I'm looking forward to using it soon.

It works great twistedaxle, a mighty fast & capable hauler.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 PM

Member Number: 21561

I thought they'd be pretty good but I just wasn't sure. Which kind of lift system does it use?
Cheers
Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 PM
JOE

It's a rack & pinion, probably the same parts as the powered legs on trailers. No shortage of power to dump a heaping load of sand!

Not overly warm here this afternoon, but with the wind in the NW, I'm sheltered. Got another couple wheel barrel loads of dirt out! It's been a good 4or5 late afternoons of hauling... I try to get some out now incase it's another wet summer.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Joe you are so smooth with the controls on that excavator, I guess loads of hours behind the remote will get ya that!
Im sure you have answered this somewhere within the 66 pages, but I will ask again do you run your trucks with lockers?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
JOE

I've always enjoyed running the excavator most of all (majority of the vids I make show the use of one) & I've gotten several tips & hints from the pros over the yrs of how to do it better too... lots & lots practice, yes.

The green GL in this vid has Shoe Goo in all 3 diffs for a limited slip & has been working very well without destroying driveshafts & crown/pinions too quickly.

The white GL has the last diff locked with one spider dropped between the other two, and the other two diffs filled with Shoe Goo. This trk pulls more weight & gets probably double the use or more, I blow thru quite a few middle diffs & the driveshaft from the trans to it. Atm there's a clicking sound that sounds like it's coming from the trans... I think I may have worn the dogs off on 2nd gear (that's the gear I always use)... I have no workbench space & no time to tear into it - don't need the trk for summer hauling... on the 'fix-it' list start of next winter.

The KH dump trk, the last diff locked, the front one open with no Shoe Goo... I don't remember how I locked it, might be JB Weld. Being a 6x4, the last axle locked doesn't seem to impede on the steering much, though I peel a steering tire off once in awhile; always the left tire b/c I'm turning right loaded 90% of the time.

Thanx for your interest.

I should be outside broadcasting granular chemical right now, but it's a howling wind & it's starting to snow... turbulent spring weather!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 AM
JOE

I did some dirtwork out in the workshop today, moving some fill out to seal the walls.

Tomorrow the JD850 will come out here to speed things up, get these two piles of dirt dealt with... I don't have a lot of free time left these days & with weather finally warming up I'll be in the field soon, hopefully by May 1st. I'll start to paint some walls this week.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 AM
JOE

This how I finished the 1st pile... I was impressed with how well that small Stahl pushed & packed, when I (205lbs) stepped on the dirt I didn't leave much of a print... of course the dirt is quite moist.

This afternoon I went to work on the other pile flattening it out, did most of it inside of 40mins with the 850.

Then put lil Stahl to work making it smooth & level.

Then what to do...? Idle hands is the Devil's workshop....

I adjusted the tx stick for no spring center, but without the "ratchet arm" in place (I don't know where I put that yrs ago), I was only getting about 2/3 throttle in each direction before the last bit of spring tension interfered.

Amazing what this lil 12lbs dozer was capable of, the two machines working together, pan taking a 1/2 to 3/4 inch cut to pack a heaping load on in the less two feet!!! The dirt would pack in there so tight that the small push cyl struggled at 1st to push the load out!

I even made a movie of it fun fun fun ...enjoy!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:41 AM
JOE

This dirt is so wet! After about 30 push loads, the surface developed a nearly impenetrable crust & the track motors of the lil Stahl dozer were nearly stalling with the tracks having too good of traction, I even tried to rip it with the dozer & either didn't penetrate much or hook deep & stopped the dozer... so time to bring in the muscle to break it all up again.

But then the pile was too narrow & I kept sliding off either side with the pan... so now I just load the pan with JD850 to disperse the last of the dirt pile to the outer edges. I can get it a lot fuller this way & do it less time too!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Member Number: 7067

Joe, its great to see that pan in action! How has it been working for you? its been a while since I've been on this site.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 PM
JOE

Well your ears must have been burning Joe, it's just two weeks ago that I started using the pan & it's been working great! You did a great job engineering the pan.

I need to re-gear one of my dozers to be a stronger push cat... the one in the vid above in geared a bit too high.

Spreading & packing this wet dirt, layer by layer, it's working phenomenal... I've walked on this dirt pad to exit through the door & I don't sink at all!

What have you've been doing with the hobby in recent yrs? Do you still have your collection?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Member Number: 7067

I still have my collection but I haven't built anything new since I built the pans. Once in a great while I'll charge up the batteries and run them on and off for a couple of days. Planting season is starting now so I wont have much time for anything else for a few weeks.