Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Other R/C and Misc > R/C's for the Sky
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

R/C's for the Sky Planes, Heli's, blimps, if it flies put it here!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:10 PM

Member Number: 1
B/S/T Feedback: (7)
Default New FPV Wing

So I've been busy working on another FPV plane. This time I went with all new quality gear and didn't cut corners. It's a 55" MS Composit Maxi Swift flying wing. I've got 4 flights on it so far, and already pushed to 3 miles out. I put a Dragon OSD+ v2 in it, so if I happen to loose radio or video link, or some other issue comes up, the plane will fly home on it's own. Kind of a backup plan.

I've posted all the specs here - http://www.rcflighttest.com/home/201...dragon-osd-v2/

This is the last two videos from it, one is from the ground recording showing all the OSD info, and the other is the onboard recording from the GoPro.

I love this thing!

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Waiting for my free magic pen!!

Member Number: 2692
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

That thing flew a heck of a long way! Nice video Keith, do you still have my address? Speaking of, lets see just how far it will fly. If you set it off now with a few solar panels attached and post me the homing device

Great flight though mate, it seemed nice and stable in the sky, does this mean you have a few planes going spare?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Not spare, it means my beloved Easy Star is on the work bench getting some upgrades... lol

By the way, I've flown it farther since this post, new record is 3.8 miles out. Total flight was 9.14 miles (including a big turn to loose some altitude after gliding home) The cool part is I've got the GPS logging sorted out. Here's a log of my last flight:

Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM

So how far do you think it will fly? First off, how long will the battery last?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 PM

It's hard to say for sure as I haven't really pushed it, but the 3.8 miles out and back burned up about half the battery, so lets say 7-8 miles out.

I did remove the GoPro to save weight and drag, as well as finished burying the wires in the foam once everything was tested and working which also cut a little bit of drag. So it's a little "cleaner" now and should be more efficient.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:47 PM

What's the range on your radio and FPV?

I was thinking, maybe if you have a battery on each wing and a remote way of flicking from one to the other? Then really push it further afield.

Can i make a request? On your next video, can you take it far out but tree line lower? I want to nosey in peoples gardens
Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 3754
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

That's amazing! Way out of my comfort zone though, I'm happy if my little UM Champ makes it all the way around the ball field without crashing, LOL!
Broke MoFo club member#23,
If only I had known I would lived this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM

I still fly my regular planes too, long range FPV gets too stressful and I need a break!

Range... For the radio I'm using a Dragon Link UHF system that is probably good for more range than I'll ever need, no worries there. For the FPV gear, right now I have a 2.4GHz 500mW transmitter onboard, and using an 8dbi patch on the ground. In theory I should be good for ~5 miles or so. I just bought a 14dbi patch antenna though, that should do around 15 miles on a good day. I doubt I'll ever got that far though. If I can do 5 or 6 I'll be happy and leave it alone before I loose a plane... lol

I also like flying low and checking out the scenery, it's my favorite thing to do with FPV... lol Problem with long range is that with 2.4GHz you have the "fresnal zone" to worry about, and need to keep the ground out of it for maximum range. That means that you need about 500ft of altitude per mile of distance, which is a bit conservative but it's a good number to shoot for. Right now my autopilot is set to cruise at 400', and if it's turned on it will climb up to 400' and hold it, but if it's already over 400 it doesn't bother with the altitude and just stays where it's at. One day I'll leave out flying 100-150' and keep going until the video dies, then kick in the AP and let it climb and turn for home until I get the video back... lol