Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 01-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Hate RTR cars, these should be banned!!!!

Member Number: 448
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Awesome

Out of 1.8 mill + production numbers of Capri (Mk1,2&3), 513.000 came to America, infact the most sold import car at some point in US, Ford US did not like that as they sold more than their own Mustang..

But yes as I understand, rare to see a Capri today in US.
But I know several Capri owners in USA :-)

Nice cars you have
Underrated cars, as they do look good with a few changes
And one time I stumbled over your Pangra in a google search.
Think it was for the guess the car thread on this forum :-)

Keep up the good work sir

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:23 PM
I have too many Cars.

Member Number: 19724

There is nothing better than a box from Shapeways. They are always full of everything that I could ever want! I would assume that one day the boxes will be larger but that is another thread.

Anyway, My Super Hornet inspired rear lower rear shock mounts came in!

The outside:

The inside:

The super hornet ones are designed to work with the geometry of the Super Hornet chassis upper shock mounts which are wider apart than the Hornet.
Installation was very simple as you would expect from a part that is essentially a Tamiya (re) engineered part. They just slide over the axle tubes and screw in. If you have or have seen a super hornet, there is no difference.

The real changes start to come in here. the Super hornet mounts the shocks on the outside of the supports. Due to the requirement that i needed them a tad narrower, i mounted mine to the inside (that's why the look of the supports is basically reversed when compared to the S. Hornet).

Here is a comparison of the stock Super Hornet and my version. Please excuse the state of the Super Hornet. Is is next on my list of restorations.

Both complete rears:

Mount close up:

AMPro mount close up:

Rear width comparison:

The shock mounting is nicer than anything Tamiya ever did on the Hornet family, in my arrogant opinion. The Hornet at least had a ball end on the end of the shock but the Super Hornet relied on slop to allow for the floating solid axle's articulation. These are vintage You-G units that I added a through ball end to. I was going to put the stock Hornet shocks on but noticed that I needed to make a smaller collar to let the spring seat properly.

Once installed, everything was playing nicely. I changed the light units out since the new rear end is in the way of the buckets. Purely cosmetic but hey, it's fun.

From above:

I also installed my battery tray modification. This was a simple bracket I made to emulate the Super Hornet style. This one requires two holes drilled into the chassis and then is held in with two self tapping screws that lock it to the chassis. So far, with a lipo battery, landings off a 4 foot jump have not bothered anything though I suspect that the stresses of a 5000 MAh NiMh may be too great for the little posts.

This is one of my race packs. This gives about 30 min of run time to the car and fits with its buzzer.

Here is a battery door I made out of polystyrene. Works great. I just copied the stock one save for the little tab on the trailing edge that slots into the chassis.

A couple of body clips and we are all set. You know how nice it is not to have to tape you battery tray onto your RACE car? Feels nice.

I will posted some completed shots of the car shortly. Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:06 PM
I have too many Cars.

Just took some pictures. I seem to have forgotten what this car once was. Oh well, after driving it, I'm pretty blown away by how good it is.

This bumper is for show. I won't race with this. I have added these to a bunch of my other Hornets.

Honestly, the stock lamps are way prettier than those that light up but I dig lights and plus, I don't run with those on the car at the track.

SAG!! It finally has SAG!

The front double wishbone front end. There is where this whole crazy project started.

Battery tray:

Rear end:

Lamps:

I have some more testing before these are made availible but so far, I am blown away by the durability of the plastics.

Be back soon!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Back in 5 minutes.

Member Number: 20830

Nice mate I'd love to see a vid of her running
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
I have too many Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle View Post
Nice mate I'd love to see a vid of her running
Haha! Yeah I know. I need to have someone record the car as I drive it. With my gopro on my head at the track, all you see is a red dot. I'll make it happen.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 12778

This build is so awesome great work
Old 01-27-2015, 04:18 PM
I have too many Cars.

Thanks Nickyb11996!

Well since there were quite a few people that asked me to get some running videos of super fly, I decided to head out to the track and make it happen. It was a new track layout that had been only finished for one day so the surface was pretty darn good. Problem is this track is designed for modern buggies and it's a very grippy clay surface that the drivers perpetually bag the owners of the track to water down. Personally I like to reminisce about how when tracks had loose sandy surfaces that would allow the The buggy to drift a-la "initial D" around every turn. That was driving. Nevertheless I was very excited about tossing super fly on this new track. There were no ridiculously high jumps for once so the track surface seem to almost be made for a vintage car. After about 10 feet I forgot what car I was driving. This was no hornet. Well I mean it did have a solid rear axle so there was some hornet there but overall the car landed jumps like the surface beneath was a fluffy cloud. Fine, fine, fine. I didn't exactly launch the car 50 feet through the air but a three or 4 foot high jump you did in the car that landed and was relatively composed.

Here it is after depleting a 4500 mAh Lipo. With a stock 540, that makes it nearly a 1hr run time. My arm was starting to hurt holding the radio.

Still meet telling you all this is useless, I'm sure everybody wants to see the video. Well how shall I begin? After three straight battery packs the car was performing beautifully. Then I asked one of my friends to take a nice vantage spot while most of the cars are off the track to take a video. As he began to walk to the corner of the track my remote control started beeping at me. Apparently the batteries were dying in it so I walked off the track, grab the hornet, and went to change the batteries. I flicked the switch to the off position on my brand spanking new Novak XRS speed control and was confused as to why the lights on the speed control we're still on. What was even more puzzling is why the speed control burst into flames. Yes, it burst into flames. I grabbed the car, flipped it over, cursed at my new high quality battery retainer the system which forced me to snag my pliers to pull the clips out to yank the lipo out of the car assuming that it was the battery that was causing the flames. The speed control then simply started to smoke profusely. I ran outside because I was in the process of suffocating all of the patrons of Norcal hobbies. Needless to say by the time I was done the speed control was a mass of melted plastic and a fried circuitboard. None of the wires had any burn marks in them so I find it very unlikely that the wire shorted however all of the solder points on the wires got so hot that they melted off of the units. Needless to say, that was the end of my day. So I still owe a video.

This was a heart breaker:

The underside stayed untouched so the chassis of Super Fly stayed untouched.

On the plus side, super fly was unharmed. It does however reek of burnt electronics so I can't even bring it into the house right now. It's currently sitting in a box in the back of my truck where I can smell of nature.

As soon as it's all put back together I will take a video. Does anybody know what Novak speed controls are lipo compatible, by which I mean have lipo cut off, have reverse, and will run a brushed motor? Before you say I can buy some $30 unit please know that Novak and I go way back. They are made in the US from start to finish and follow all stringent California environmental codes for manufacturing and waste disposal. Out of my 40 some cars, other than the a few Tamiya units, they all have Novaks.

Thanks and sorry for the lack of video.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Hate RTR cars, these should be banned!!!!

Member Number: 448

Sorry to hear that, but glad you car made it safe.

Regarding ESC, I don't know much about them so I can't help.

But happy to hear your Hornet works great on the track
Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

Wow - been running Novak's for 20 years and have never had one go up like that. Cooked a Super Duty with a 3S, but it didn't melt down, just quit (and took out 2 servos and the receiver too) Most if not all of the newer ones are lipo compatible.

Glad Super fly didn't melt!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 PM
I have too many Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprinut View Post
Sorry to hear that, but glad you car made it safe.

Regarding ESC, I don't know much about them so I can't help.

But happy to hear your Hornet works great on the track
Thanks, I agree I'm happy that the car survived it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRC1 View Post
Wow - been running Novak's for 20 years and have never had one go up like that. Cooked a Super Duty with a 3S, but it didn't melt down, just quit (and took out 2 servos and the receiver too) Most if not all of the newer ones are lipo compatible.

Glad Super fly didn't melt!
I hear you, I have had Novaks since 1989 that are in perfect operating order. I have never had anything even remotely this bad happen to one.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:29 PM
I have too many Cars.

After endless aggressive driving and jumping, SuperFly has proven to be amazing. Now that I know the cantilever front end is staying, it is time to make it right! I modified the arm to accept ball bearings. This will dramatically play and reduce friction, something that is very important with cantilevers. Everything is on order so I am waiting for the bits to come in.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:38 PM
In the future GEESE will be rocket powered!!!

Member Number: 88

This is absolutely nuts! <--- Anxious for updates when ready.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Awesome work on this project! Are you an engineer? Is Novak still made in the US? I have not had such good luck with Novak the last couple years it seems the quality control may be lacking.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:21 AM

Member Number: 24006

Just read through the whole thread.

Amazing work there. Just amazing.

This is somewhat close to my heart as the Hornet was my first 1/10 RC car.

I have been working on ideas about how to re-design it yet keep it same-ish myself.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 AM
I have too many Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo668 View Post
Just read through the whole thread.

Amazing work there. Just amazing.

This is somewhat close to my heart as the Hornet was my first 1/10 RC car.

I have been working on ideas about how to re-design it yet keep it same-ish myself.
I am glad you liked it. It has been a labor of love.