Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 09-17-2015, 11:56 AM
I have too many Cars.

Member Number: 19724
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Here we go again. V3 is underway. V2, however is mature and will be worked on along side version 3.0 as V2 will retain some important elements of the Hornet that I will never get rid of. This will all make sense when I show what V3 will hold. In the mean time, to stew the pot, I will give you all an idea of what the plan is.

On a side note, the bearing operated cantalevers are all done and I need to upload some images of those. On top of what I have promised are actual operational videos of the car running. I still have none! I really need to have someone record this.

I am going to break down and buy this:

http://shop.soloshot.com/#
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:23 AM
I have too many Cars.

So some updated. The front cantilever is now bearing equipped:

I also got those progressive rate shock setups you see on scalers. It allows the car soft rides over bumps but also soaks up landings. They are not a bad unit for $20 for 4.

What has really surprised me is that the chassis is still in one piece. This is an original Hornet chassis that was cracked at both shock towers. I glued them back together and added little styrene braces but even with dozens of races and countless hard landings there are no signs of stress or cracks anywhere. I attribute this to the cage. The entire chassis feels stiff and there is no flexing anywhere.

The speedo was upgraded for 2 reasons.
1. This car has made a Novak XRS explode and sent a Novak Rooster and a Novak XRS into thermal shutdown. I don't know how this is possible. Is weighs nothing and it is running a upgraded stock motor. All I can figure is I am pushing it too hard and the grip of the clay tires I run is too much for them. This one doesn't break a sweat.
2. The Pit Wizard allows me to set the throttle curve. I can finely detail acceleration, neutral and braking. These are all things that were useless on my RC10. Here however, with a light solid axle car, it made a world of difference.

I also finally found rear shocks for the car that work! Zero 1:10 shock/spring combos work on a Hornet other than the stock ones. They are just too stiff, period. These are from a 1:16 car and the correct 80mm. They are soft and perform amazing. No leaks and again, $20 for 4 on ebay. No idea what car they are from, I just looked up 1:16 RC Car Shock. I did have to print out eyelets that mated the shock to the mount. They look like they at attached crooked but since I used some of the material I had at the office, it was too hard to pop in a ball to allow it to swivel. Instead, the cross section looks like an hour glass so it is allowed to swivel and not have any play. It isn't a great fix but it works.

My shell has held up perfect. It is only 0.75mm thick but even thought it has been tossed around by cars way bigger show no cracking or stress. I love 3D printing. More to follow!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:26 PM
In the future GEESE will be rocket powered!!!

Member Number: 88

Seeing the rollcage gives me major nostalgia for the old Marui Samurai.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:29 PM
Young Street Urchin

Member Number: 23755

VERY similar to the Tamiya Grasshoppers I had in the early 80s. They were a blast. Top of the line, in their day. My nephew had the one model up, the Frog with independent rear suspension. We could run side by side on the road, but he blew me away on the lawn and off road.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:58 PM
I have too many Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
Seeing the rollcage gives me major nostalgia for the old Marui Samurai.
Yes that was a looker.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I have too many Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
VERY similar to the Tamiya Grasshoppers I had in the early 80s. They were a blast. Top of the line, in their day. My nephew had the one model up, the Frog with independent rear suspension. We could run side by side on the road, but he blew me away on the lawn and off road.
Yeah the Hornet and the Grasshopper are nearly identical. That solid axle made for interesting offroad capabilities (or should I say handicaps?) that the Frog, being superior in basically every way, never suffered from.