Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 12-23-2015, 08:04 AM

Member Number: 12246
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Quicksilver 2WD puller

I've been long-time lurker on the forums, but have not posted much.

Thought I would share the 2WD pulling truck I built way back in 1987. It's not quite up to the standards of most of the builds here today, but was ahead of it's time back then.

The frame was scratchbuilt as were the wheelie bars, front dropped axle and exhaust zoomies. Rear axle is narrowed Bruiser. Front wheels/tires from Tamyia with CRP chrome outers. Rear wheels and tires from a Marui Big Bear. Detailed engine is Parma Hemi model kit. Body is slightly modified Clodbuster. Custom details included LED headlights, parking lights, tail lights and front side marker lights.

Power was supplied by twin 6-cell NiCad batteries wired in series (14.4V) to a Black Magic pulling motor driving a modified Kyosho Ultima transmission. Speed control was a servo-operated Tamiya 3-step wiper arm (anyone remember those?).

The body was hinged at the rear and automatically raised/lowered by a homebuilt winch/pulley system via 3rd channel . The lights also were operated from the TX.

Quicksilver was featured in Radio Control Car Action magazine in April 1988, if I remember correctly. The truck still exists as shown in the photos, but I no longer own it. It was sold to a collector in Canada a couple years ago.

I'd love to do another scale build someday (which is why I lurk on the forum regularly), but I have too many full-scale projects taking all my time and $$$ at the moment.

Dave
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 12-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Screamapillar

Member Number: 13559
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

This is very nice. Looking at it, I can most definitely see it being a real game changer at the time...
Old 04-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

I don't know why I am just replying to this post. This was one of the coolest rc trucks I had ever seen, especially when I saw it in my April '88 of RCCA magazine. I had a clod buster, a bruiser, and no build skills and wanted to build this very truck. Luckily I didn't attempt it, but have wanted to ever since. Thanks for sharing the pictures because despite what you say, it still a very nice build in today's world as well.

Harry
Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Thanks Harry!

Quicksilver went to a very good home a couple years back. A guy in Canada tracked me down and asked if I would build him a replica or sell him plans (which don't exist). It turns out he was 10 years old when the April '88 RCCA magazine came out. He told me he had drooled over and re-read that article for years and still has the old worn and dog-eared magazine.

I had been contemplating listing Quicksilver on ebay to see if anyone remembered it and might actually want to buy it. However, after hearing his story and getting to know him, I decided he would be the perfect caretaker. So we agreed on a price and off to Canada it went.

He also bought my original pulling sled (that was also shown in the article) and the Mini Rod tractor I had built around that same time. He has all three on display at his house along with the old article. Pretty cool.

He has also acquired some Hilux parts that was my nephew's 4WD modified puller that was also featuered in RCCA back in the day. Somebody had pirated all of the good Hilux parts for a restoration project leaving only the puller-specific parts left. He plans to use those to built a replica "tribute" of that truck as well.

I also put him in contact with an old buddy of mine that built the Midnight Madness Bruiser 4WD modified puller (also featured in RCCA). He is planning on adding that to his collection someday if they can agree on terms. Fortunately it still remains with it's original builder and is in pristine condition.

Anyway....sorry for the trip down memory lane...!

Fun times back then. I wish I had more time now to work on another scale RC build. I did start a Tamiya Knight Hauler wrecker project a few years ago, but sold it unfinished to a friend who completed it as a stretched semi.

I've got a couple ideas I'd like to build...one of which is a scale diesel pusher motorhome. Maybe after I retire.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 1818
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

COOL! I remember this truck, it was mind blowing in '88. This was one of the first scale builds.

I might still have the magazine in storage somewhere.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

I guess the only question I have is how well did it pull?

Harry
Old 04-07-2016, 07:46 AM

Well...not all that great actually!

It did OK on dirt, but not so good on the carpet tracks that were popular back then. Blew out the pot metal gears in the Bruiser rear end. I bought some strong helical-cut steel gears to replace them but never did.

So, it was mostly a show queen until it retired as a shelf queen in the man cave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I guess the only question I have is how well did it pull?

Harry