Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Help wanted!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Help wanted! New to the forum? Start here.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 6509
B/S/T Feedback: (2)
Default Dually Fenders

I'm looking for ideas for building my own dually fenders for a Super Duty hard body. How can I make them strong enough to survive some bashing? I wanted to just buy some but I'm not having any luck finding any.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 10274

Fiberglass would be plenty strong you could build the core out of foam and then cover it (green floral foam is pretty easy to work with). You could make them out of styrene but it would have to be pretty thick. Other option would be to make them from wood and seal it with some poly or something like that.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Lost and confused on.... what was I saying?

Member Number: 6114
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

Check with -- Captain Scale -- he is the dually master and makes sets of fenders in a ready to paint version and a rough version. I've used them before and they are a great fit and finish. Definitely a must for a ford dually build. If I remember correctly they are about $30.00 for rough unfinished and $80.00 for a finished set. Shoot him a PM about them. He also makes frame rails specific for the Ford crew cab.

--Dan

Last edited by sickcivic95 : 02-20-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Posts all the Time'r

I've PM'ed him a couple times. Doesn't seem very interested in selling me some fenders though so I thought I'd try making my own instead. I know I can make them look good with styrene, I just thought since his were made out of what looks like fiberglass in the few pics I've found they'd be stronger. Only experience I have with fiberglass is using the resin with strands of fiber already mixed in to repair a cowl hood I bought for one of my full size cars.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 528
B/S/T Feedback: (17)

if you can do em outa styrene but are concerned about strength, do em then back em with fglass on the inside.

ive used the chopped glass/resign on 1:1 in the past. every brand i used was kinda like using playdough with string in it. to go with actual glass cloth and resign is actually VERY EASY. youtube up a video or 2 on how to lay it. i believe you'll be surprised how simple it is. once we ever get the barn cleaned out some we're going to lay up a cab for my yamaha rhino if i ever park it long enough to do so.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Captain Scale

Member Number: 870
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcivic95 View Post
Check with -- Captain Scale -- he is the dually master and makes sets of fenders in a ready to paint version and a rough version. I've used them before and they are a great fit and finish. Definitely a must for a ford dually build. If I remember correctly they are about $30.00 for rough unfinished and $80.00 for a finished set. Shoot him a PM about them. He also makes frame rails specific for the Ford crew cab.

--Dan
Yep, I make all that stuff, just a little inundated with requests for parts right now and need to catch my breath and get caught up! Everything I make is basically hand made and takes time to produce.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Well if you have any fenders made up I'd love to buy an unfinished set from you. Would save me alot of time making them without molds. I don't know what all you make so I don't know what you're behind on and one you have excess of.