Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
JOE

Member Number: 1683
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

I am hoping the diaelectric grease will virtually eliminate the arcing & slow the wear on the contacts Ed... time will tell the outcome.

Martin, I didn't realise FPV had become so advanced! It doesn't appeal to me enough to ever buy such a thing, but maybe someday along my travels I may have a chance to try some one else's.

JTS's lowbed is a mechanical disconnect neck, right? Does it work similar to this?

Maybe you just need to add a winch, servo operated locks & an infra red light kit to your trk.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 10691

Talking of trailers

This guy has managed to build a perfect remote gooseneck...

Old 12-20-2011, 03:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/marhund

Member Number: 9547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
I am hoping the diaelectric grease will virtually eliminate the arcing & slow the wear on the contacts Ed... time will tell the outcome.

Martin, I didn't realise FPV had become so advanced! It doesn't appeal to me enough to ever buy such a thing, but maybe someday along my travels I may have a chance to try some one else's.

JTS's lowbed is a mechanical disconnect neck, right? Does it work similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8EAGjh_D4Q

Maybe you just need to add a winch, servo operated locks & an infra red light kit to your trk.
Thats Right. Its exactly like that. Great vid.. Thanks.. Only differece is that the locking is not in the front. But by a bolt on the backside. This makes it impossible to disconnect without removing what ever you have on the trailer. Im working on a new piece that will make it easyer to disconnet and to make a engine do the disconnecting
With a dolly like that you would probably solve a lot of the difficulties I have with the trailer. But it is very few trailers like that in Norway.. We dont have the roads for that kind of lenght :-)
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM
JOE

WOW! That's using his noodle, quite ingenius! Thanx for sharing Elliot. Got a link to the build thread?

You wouldn't need a jeep to simulate the same result Martin. Canadian trks have tapered rear frame rails with a bearing'd roller the full width of trk frame & with the aid of the winch line, they can pick up float trls or scissor necks that are flat on the ground.

Seeing the repeated mistakes/shortcuts in mechanical engineering JTS makes with his trk builds, it doesn't surprise me to hear that the shortcommings spill over into trls as well.

Good luck with the repair and I'll check it out on your forum.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/marhund

Member Number: 9547

That was just a great trl.

Think I found the building thread here;
http://www.modell-baustelle.de/index...&threadID=5091

Looks awsome...
Anyone knows if he makes the trls for sale and how to contact the guy??
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
JOE

Thanx Martin... some of the info is missing.

With the xmas/ny's holidays the last few wks, I haven't accomplished much digging. But I did do some rain dancing.

A slow dribble, maybe a gallon an hour for eight hrs last Friday, got a nice even soak over a large area. It made for sweet digging tonite! Peeled the dirt away like cheese grader.

I had to dig on three sides before popping this boulder out... I just luv the power this model has!

And a vid of tonite's digging fun.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 AM
JOE

Continuing to make good headway on the wall, pulling up alot of big boulders as well as lots of little rocks too. The "rock saw" idea likely wouldn't have worked too well.

This rock is near the wall and there is a much larger rock just in front that I can't budge yet after digging down 3 inches around it. The 850 will pop it out eventually.

Gonna have to start screening soon, running out of room down below.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 AM

Member Number: 12364

Hey Joe
Looks like your making good progress,always enjoy your vids,watching your equipment work.This may be a dumb question,are the hours of run time with the noise of machines rough on your hearing?About all my bruders could do to help is load the loose dirt.lol
Keep the pics and vids coming
Tommy
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 AM
JOE

The mic on the camera makes it sound much louder than it really is... doesn't bother me at all. My hearing is damaged somewhat anyway from the overly powerful car stereo I had as a teenager, I have trouble hearing some one speak clearly if there's much background noise.

As with your Bruders, the Stahl equip is limited to working in loose soil too. If I stepped on that moist dirt to compact it, the Stahl hoe wouldn't break the crust. After so many yrs with the lightweight models, this heavy weight 850 is such a treat!

Thanx for your kind compliment Tommy.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 PM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

I've never asked this question before, and maybe it was covered, but the amount of dirt you're excavating, is it the backfill up against your foundation walls? do the foundation walls go down about 4 feet to a footing? It's hard to see from the pics...I see some plywood walls and they throw me off. Also, you mentioned leaving the house soon? Do you rent? Own? What's the plan? Let us know. As usual...great vids.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
JOE

double post

Last edited by Lil Giants : 01-09-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM
JOE

The house was built in 1929. The cement wall you see in the pics, that's it. No footings. That cement wall sits on the ground alone. The house is only 20' x 30' with two small porches on either end. I would assume the hole in the ground was dug prior to building the house over it.

The PWS wood walls you see, I built those to support the dirt walls from caving in, being that I cut the dirt to within a foot of the cement's edge. I built 8 feet of crib wall at a time as I moved across the east wall 1st. And again down the south wall that I am working at now. And I backfill as much as I can as I go along. The east wall is done (per earlier pics/vids in this thread) and some of the south wall has been backfilled too, till the dirt started running out the lower corner of the edge I am working at now.

Jan 9, '09 was when this Ag & Industrial forum was created by Keith & Matt per my request, (thanx guys, it's been a great success ) and two days later I get a call from my parents vacationing in Az that they discovered my father was full of cancer of the liver & pancreas (he'd only been sick for a wk prior)... two wks later he passed... never made it back to the farm.

I bought my own farm yard in 2000, which is where I live now (my great uncle built this house). My mother is a city girl, no interest in the farm and didn't stick around long afterward. My dad's farm is the main yard where everything is. I did manage to rent the house to a nice young family, somebody I know and trust well to respect the place, they could have been long time renters... but an opportunity presented itself for them last Spring to buy an acreage much closer to his father's farm, much better location for him and his family... now the house/yard sits empty again & I'm not gonna let just anyone live there.

The only real tie to my own farm is my convient all weather playground & basement excavation project, and the house is also just the right size for little ol bachelor me. My yard is fairly wide open, very little trees, good neighbor directly across the road, I have a machinery shed, few grain bins & some corrals... the security hazzard for this place is relatively low. It'll be fine left vacant & I'll continue to heat it every winter & keep it up. I'll come back here when my farming career is finnished @55-60.

Last winter was the winter from HELL!!! It about killed me to try to look after the 120 cow herd, infact I lost about 20% of my herd in extreme weather last Spring during calving. I don't even like cows, I just tolerated them all these yrs b/c my father wanted them around. Since BSE in May '03, cattle market has been poor and I was only making a few thousand annually from all that aggravation. I'm done with them now, herd dispersal a month ago... finally enjoying a little freedom for the 1st time in four yrs.

So, last paragraph I have a 10yr old barn that's 36x78 with a heated calving parlor (12x24) & upstairs sleeping quarters (12x30) which I can now turn into the new Lil Giants construction site. Upstairs will be the workshop, the ol calving parlor my winter hide out, unheated area - lots of possibilities during the summer warmth and my farmshop with all my metal working tools just a few hundred yards away. Move into my parents' house, it's a very nice home, just way too big for me, but I'll have the pleasure of just walking out the door to go to work everyday instead of commuting 3miles two three times a day.

I'll move there either before seeding in May or mid summer.

Last nite's entertainment...I popped that boulder out finally, it was a lil bigger than the bucket. Got lots of loose soil tore up & stacked atop the wall, push it off later with the dozer or wheel loader... makings for another movie.

This wet clay is gumming up my track pads so they don't articulate properly. Hoping they clean out when the dirt dries. Motors sure have lots of torque to muscle thru the binding and no problems with loosing a track either.

I saved this 3 minute video in high definition (80mb/minute), much better clarity than any previous vid I've made. But a ten minute video would be a huge file to upload, it'd turn my 4G into peddle internet again.

Last edited by Lil Giants : 02-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 6911
Thumbs up

Nice Story Joe ! I enjoyed reading it. On the model side you are still one of the best operator on any RC videos I've seen, congrats !

All the best for 2012 !

Dimitri.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 PM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Thanks Joe for the writeup! I've got a varied background, but no farm experience...only friends that owned farms in wisconsin and rhode island. Every time I see your landscape in the background of your videos, it makes me wonder what you're up to out there. Thanks for letting us in on that. My last house was built in '25 and the one before that was probably around 1910. Plenty of interesting things to find in the crawl space once I started renovating. I had the opportunity to check out a renovation of a house built in the 1700s. They found pewter spoons, knives and now that I'm away from the scene...a couple of sculls and human bones buried under the house. Really interesting...especially the construction techniques used back then. Keep digging...and we'll keep watching. My plan of watching your vids with my two year old worked flawlessly! I love them, he loves them, and he runs to get his tonka dump truck and payloader when I put them on. So cool. Win win all around.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:35 PM

Member Number: 7029

Joe,

I've read through much of this thread, and watched all of your videos. I have to tell you I'm extremely impressed with everything that you're doing...what an enormous undertaking!

What part of Saskatchewan are you in? I'm in Regina, and enjoy building scale trucks, however it seems to be a bit of a wasteland in terms of other builders. I've only been here about 16 months, but I've yet to meet another scale builder...heck I've only met a few people into R.C. at all!