Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 4x4 R/C's Top Builds
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x4 R/C's Top Builds Some of our favorite builds!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

Member Number: 12649
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Scratch built Aluminum Series III Land Rover...New Pictures!!

Well after starting this "mini mine" in 1998 and for various reasons, shelving the build in 2002, I've decided it's about time I finished it...!!

This is the real one it's based on....

How far I got when it was shelved....

Before I go on I should point out that the wheels and tires will not be on the finished product. These will be changed for 1.55's on narrower axles so for the time being, please ignore the ones on it at the moment...(thanks )

The chassis is a Tamiya Bruiser, which back in the day was the closest to the real thing that was available. The body is mainly 0.5mm aluminum sheet although the bulkhead is 1mm (part of an old Land Rover door)

Sadly I lost all the plans I had originally drawn so did a couple of quick sketches in order to make some formers for the metal work...

Made up some formers out of MDF...

Bent some metal and cut some holes...

In this pic its all balancing with a finger holding the side on, just to get the Idea

I will assemble the roof soon and then turn my attention to doors and bonnet...

Last edited by MrMunster : 02-19-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 10264

Wow, this is going to be a grat one! Do you have more pictures of the build of the already finished body? Or at least some larger ones of the status!

Michael
Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
metric mind

Member Number: 12860

Yea, please refresh our memories. especially those who start crawl last week
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Built Jeep Tough...Oh wait its built Ford Tough

Member Number: 6790

looking good
Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 9009

I like it! How hard was the MDF part? I swear there are some talented MoFos on here!
Matt
Old 10-16-2010, 05:45 AM
O tuga

Member Number: 9097
B/S/T Feedback: (19)

Wow!!

Subscribed!!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Where i am going and how did i get here

Member Number: 4135
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

WOW very impresive metal work,

BTW those axle are way to wide dude
Old 10-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh hai!

Member Number: 5041
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the heads up on this thread, it's looking good

I'm assuming that you beat the aluminium over the mdf formers. When doing this don't the formers get dented from the blows it gets from the hammer? And does the aluminium not get dented?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I ain't not a dorkus

Member Number: 8206
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKke View Post
I'm assuming that you beat the aluminium over the mdf formers. When doing this don't the formers get dented from the blows it gets from the hammer? And does the aluminium not get dented?
I'm going out on a limb and saying the aluminum was thin enough that it didn't need to be struck to form. It's .5mm

Anyway, this is pure awesome. I can't wait to see more updates
Old 10-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all the good comments guys

I'm gonna try and answer all the questions in order now.....

Sorry, sadly I lost all the early build pics, plans and all but one former in a house fire.... I was gutted....and so was my home!! I will do some more pics of the build so far during the week tho.

This build has never been on any forum before so nobody missed out, even late crawlers... Lol

The MDF is actually really easy and nice to work with, the Land Rover helps by being pretty slab sided too, I cut the rough shape with a jigsaw then sand to the exact shape. Stuff like the bonnet and roof formers are a sandwich of 6mm sheets cut and shaped, takes elbow grease and a bit of time.

As I mentioned in the first post, it will get new wheels and narrower axles later in the build (when I have some spare money!!!)

IKke, it would be rude not to tell you about this thread!! You and pardonmyn00b are both right, the 0.5mm Ali is thin enough just to push over the former but beating does come into it too! Generally I fold the first edge in a vice then tease the piece over larger parts with my hands and tap the other edges over to keep it tight. Corners do get hit quite a bit but the MDF will take a fair amount of tapping and it does mark (not dent) the Ali a little. For the outer front wings I also made a negative mould using milliput and pressed the panels. Will be pressing the bonnet too so will show that more in detail later.

When I started the build I wanted to get all the panel joins visible so I decided to make each panel separately, this simplifies panel making but means I have a lot of bits to bolt together!! There will be a little bit of glue on some of the roof seems and detail parts but it's mostly nuts and bolts......very small ones

Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Heilischer Bimbam! Was is dann hier los?

Member Number: 6424

Sorry to hear from your house fire. Hope, anything sorted out as well as possible for you in the end and no one suffered injuries.

Would you mind making some more pictures of the body as it stands now? Or think of making some if you have to tear it apart for some reasons.

I feel, I shall learn a lot in this thread. One of the very few that I subscribed to.

Well done so far!

:-)

dirchsen
Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the sentiments about the fire. It was two and half years ago now so as sorted as it will ever be, the only injury was a twisted ankle from tripping on a fire hose! that person was an onlooker too!! Not bad considering twelve appartments were burned out.... I'm just glad I managed to get a few models out in the 5mins before smoke prevented me entering the building again this was the morning after....

It was a 30 x 15 meter building and it all looked like that!!

Anyway back to the build....In order for me to fit the roof, the body had to come off so I took these..

The underside

Inside the front wing

Outside of front wing

Those of you who know Land Rovers will notice that I did not angle the inner wing, this was deliberate....why complicate things when I'm not going to detail under the bonnet, or open it much!!

This one shows the rear wing, as you can see the darker grey 1mm ali section (part of a real Landy door) acts as the rear body mount and supports the wings and roof as well as giving me the capping along the tops of the rear bed. I used a real door skin just so it has some genuine parts in it! but 1mm ali gives more inner strength to the whole structure.

This one is the leading edge of the roof sitting in the gutter. The gutter will have a hole cut in the middle leaving me with an edge wide enough to bolt through, joining the sides, gutter and roof top together. you can also see the hammer marks on the leading edge in this pic!! The whole roof top is 4 sections, just like the real thing..

The back of the roof top showing the flange into which the rear section sits, on the real one this join is rivets but mine will be glued along the flange and bolted through the gutter and lower back sections.

I'm now going out to my garage to make the back section of the roof and front window frame

Enjoy

Last edited by MrMunster : 02-06-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 12498
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

What craftsmanship! I love aluminum and metal builds!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Project #52 and counting.....

Member Number: 7439
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

wow nice work, sorry to hear about the home fire, may have been a while ago, but those kind of things take a while to get over.
wtf is wrong with me?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

looks great man! I would like to build one of these models from brass one day! You are lucky to have one near by for the build details..I am sorry to hear of the fire,,