Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Help wanted!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Help wanted! New to the forum? Start here.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
n00b

Member Number: 13441
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Question Tamiya CC01 and CR01 good for first timer?

Looking to get into scale R/C with my 8 year old son (no more Wally World crap for us!).

I really like the Tamiya CC-01 Land Cruiser, the CC-01 Unimog, and the CR-01 Cruiser and CR-01 Unimog.

Would either/both these be good for a first timer? I really like how they look from a scale POV. We won't be doing any serious modifications, etc. as most of my $$$ goes into doing the real thing with our full-size Jeep and Land Cruiser.

Thoughts as beginner vehicles?

Thanks!
Andy
Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Im a workin on the railroad all the live long freakin day!

Member Number: 3471
B/S/T Feedback: (12)

Well I dont really consider 2.2 scale, but they do make really nice starter rigs, you might also check out the axial rigs aswell. they are great. The SCX10 is the one for scale, comes in a variety of bodies and tire sizes 1.9 2.2

Welcome to the board!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted77 View Post
Well I dont really consider 2.2 scale, but they do make really nice starter rigs, you might also check out the axial rigs aswell. they are great. The SCX10 is the one for scale, comes in a variety of bodies and tire sizes 1.9 2.2

Welcome to the board!
Thanks for the reply.

Why do you say 2.2 isn't really scale? I have a lot to learn about these things, that's for sure!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
n00b

You mentioned the SCX10, does that have more options for bodies than the CC/CR-01s?
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Im a workin on the railroad all the live long freakin day!

Member Number: 3471
B/S/T Feedback: (12)

Well I think the wheel base is the same you will have to check. 2.2 1.9 and 1.55 are rim sizes, and 2.2 is the biggest and uses the biggest tires. most people are going to the 1.9 and 1.55 tires now. they look more scale.check out some of the thread in eaach section and find out what you like. there are separate sections for each tire sized rigs. The scx10 offers more upgrade and there is a lot of bodies that can fit on that chassis when you want to start upgrading and building your own 1 off truck.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted77 View Post
Well I think the wheel base is the same you will have to check. 2.2 1.9 and 1.55 are rim sizes, and 2.2 is the biggest and uses the biggest tires. most people are going to the 1.9 and 1.55 tires now. they look more scale.check out some of the thread in eaach section and find out what you like. there are separate sections for each tire sized rigs. The scx10 offers more upgrade and there is a lot of bodies that can fit on that chassis when you want to start upgrading and building your own 1 off truck.
Cool, thanks for the info. I want something that's "easy" to modify (i.e. lots of body options).

I'll look into those more!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 PM
So much for driving it like an old lady...

Member Number: 6518
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

So, just to clarify, technically you can put any body on any chassis. As an example, the SCX10 comes stock with 3 different bodies, but there are probably at least 10 or more that can be fit to that chassis. So, there are many options and many different chassis to choose from. For bodies, look around at companies like Proline. Tamiya makes a few bodies that are popular to put on SCX10's. There are seemingly endless possibilites out there. So, have fun and try not to go broke!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkman View Post
So, just to clarify, technically you can put any body on any chassis. As an example, the SCX10 comes stock with 3 different bodies, but there are probably at least 10 or more that can be fit to that chassis. So, there are many options and many different chassis to choose from. For bodies, look around at companies like Proline. Tamiya makes a few bodies that are popular to put on SCX10's. There are seemingly endless possibilites out there. So, have fun and try not to go broke!
So where would your vote go? SCX10 or CC/CR-01?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Member Number: 11477

scx10 everytime for me.

out of the box there very strong and have a good spares back up.

plus there very capable and easy to modify down the line too.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:49 AM
bent stick shoot straight stick, sometimes hit target

Member Number: 3635
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

i would recommend a cc01 to a beginner every time, they are more than capable on the trail, there's lots of mods for them, parts are easy to get, they are simple to build and fix, buy a cc01, throw a 35 turn in it, and have fun
Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Well the CC01 is nice for a beginner and its cheaper than a CR01, it also has suspension mounting points for two different wheelbases(by moving the rear axle back approx 1") but the standard tamiya driveshafts dont extend that much so you need an alternative part or else conversion to traxxas sliding driveshafts(called half shafts when you buy them, buy ones for smaller vehicles like the stampede/bandit/rustler) + yokes which is pretty simple and much cheaper.

The CR01 is to many eyes not very scale, the axles are far below the chassis/body, the wheels/tyres are huge(see many RL rigs running 53" tyres that are 30" wide?) and the amount of flex(articulation) is much more than would be normal - but thats means it can be more fun to 'bash' with and go places that even a modified CC01 wont. That said a few have been made to look more scale and its a good starter platform but they arent very cheap to begin with.

The axial SCX10 is a good compromise somewhere between the two it has a fairly realistic chassis + axles out of the box and is pretty capable box stock too, its pretty flexible for body options and is hugely popular on these forums as a result. Axial make a more crawler oriented model called the Ax10 which is a bit more like the CR01 but even less realistic bodyshells are used for maximum performance.

I quite like the CC01 myself, it is pretty basic can be very scale and doesnt need a huge amount of mods, but I can understand SCX10 recommendations too.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
n00b

Thanks for all the insight, I really appreciate it!!!

I think we'll go for the CC-01 Unimog. Have always loved the 'mogs!

Happy Thanksgiving!