Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Member Number: 14651
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Cool To Drag Line or Not to Drag Line, that is the question.

Hello to everyone, I am new to the site, but not to modeling or R/C. But I am new to construction rc and certainly new to all of you. None of my experience is recent and should absolutely be considered a novice at best. I am happy to be here and able to view and read about all of the wonderful works you all have created. Thank you for that.

I have had the bug for a while to create a scale r/c vehicle. I also have debated with myself about what I should do with my budget, time, and experience/knowledge level. I am leaned toward a conversion in the construction/agriculture area. I was hoping I could get some feed back from some or all of you about my current thoughts.

I have noticed two builds that were by THE STUFF and SMALL HAUL/Scott?, I believe on pressed metal Unit Crane conversions. These appeal a great deal to me. I was wondering with my limited experienced, what would the difficulty level be in your opinion? Is this a build a novice should attempt?

What attracted me to this type of conversion is it does not require hydro., there is no need to start from scratch, the basic sheet metal work is done, and the primary functions are servo controlled.

I was also thinking that I have seen draglines that utilizes a large chain drive for the tracks. While the tonka example does not have a suitable track/drive carriage, but a Frankenstein of several different currently existing models might help satisfy the ability of the end product to have a greater amount of self functionality/self propelled. If I used the tracks and drive carriage from the Bruder Excavator, and rather than mounting a motor on the inside of each track, that it might be possible to mount a sprocket to the inside or outside for that matter, of the track sprocket and then mount the motor in the center underside of the carriage, reducing it's visibility and perhaps making the model more believably correct. Thoughts? Advice? Opinions? Any and all would be appreciated.

Below are some of the examples; the first is a elder tonka drag line.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Member Number: 13407
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

First things first...Welcome to Scale 4x4!!

Do you have access to milling and/or lathe equipment? From what I've seen, it makes both conversions and scratch built rigs a LOT easier to complete. But, with a little imagination it can be done w/ re-purposed parts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboTX View Post
If I used the tracks and drive carriage from the Bruder Excavator, and rather than mounting a motor on the inside of each track, that it might be possible to mount a sprocket to the inside or outside for that matter, of the track sprocket and then mount the motor in the center underside of the carriage, reducing it's visibility and perhaps making the model more believably correct.
I have no experience in building the unit cranes, but I would think the best approach (and probably the most satisfying in the end, visually and functionally) would be to try and build your own tracked drive system. Small Haul has a thread on this somewhere, and I think he's been able to put it together with mostly re-purposed parts. Of course, the time involved in self-built would be much greater...and perhaps the money spent...but that's 1/2 the fun!

Whichever build you choose, and whichever way you choose to undertake it...be sure to post plenty of pictures!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siuvinson View Post
First things first...Welcome to Scale 4x4!!

Do you have access to milling and/or lathe equipment? From what I've seen, it makes both conversions and scratch built rigs a LOT easier to complete. But, with a little imagination it can be done w/ re-purposed parts as well.

I have no experience in building the unit cranes, but I would think the best approach (and probably the most satisfying in the end, visually and functionally) would be to try and build your own tracked drive system. Small Haul has a thread on this somewhere, and I think he's been able to put it together with mostly re-purposed parts. Of course, the time involved in self-built would be much greater...and perhaps the money spent...but that's 1/2 the fun!

Whichever build you choose, and whichever way you choose to undertake it...be sure to post plenty of pictures!

Thank you for the welcome.

I do not have a mill or a lathe, but most everything else I should need, I would think I have. I do plan to check my tap and die set to see how small they go.

Re-purposing was what I primarily had in mind to avoid having to reinvent the wheel. I will admit, many of the builds I have looked through here that have custom milled or lathed part have been the most impressive.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 7833
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

RoboTx when looking at Small Haul build and how he dies it remember he has a mill and a lathe. Ed
Old 03-09-2011, 03:25 PM

Member Number: 12364

Good looking dragline model you have there,I saw a model like that on ebay the other day.
Frankensteining the model with the bruder excavator carriage could possibly work. I show a spur gear on my thread for the bruder excavator, I found that works great for the 360 spin.
Then you would have to build a wheeled excavator from the leftover parts,lol

Last edited by pumptech : 03-09-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptech View Post
Frankensteining the model with the bruder excavator carriage could possibly work. I show a spur gear on my thread for the bruder excavator, I found that works great for the 360 spin.
The you would have build a wheeled excavator from the leftover parts,lol
I actually was looking at your thread on that earlier today and looked that part up. Thanks for the suggestion I am sure that will be what I do.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
"No load too small"

Member Number: 8761

Welcome to the forums.

Draglines are fun to operate and are low maintenance. That tonka dragline looks nice and wouldn't be as pricey as the Doepke ones.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Well, I bought a tonka dragline off of eBay. Okay so I actually bought two, one was produced as a drag line the other, which was much cheaper, was produced as a shovel. Both of the dog houses are the same model, and have the same running gear. They should arrive next week.

As I mentioned, I plan to Frankenstein the running gear. I also plan to lengthen the boom. Of course to make it look the same could be difficult. Any suggestions on how to best cut and bend the metal? Cutting the over all piece of metal should be easy, but making a truss out of it is not. I have a dremel tool, I figure that would help. Any other thoughts?

What type of string are yall using for cable?

And pulleys, any idea where I can find pulleys that small?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
"No load too small"

Member Number: 8761

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboTX View Post
Well, I bought a tonka dragline off of eBay. Okay so I actually bought two, one was produced as a drag line the other, which was much cheaper, was produced as a shovel. Both of the dog houses are the same model, and have the same running gear. They should arrive next week.

As I mentioned, I plan to Frankenstein the running gear. I also plan to lengthen the boom. Of course to make it look the same could be difficult. Any suggestions on how to best cut and bend the metal? Cutting the over all piece of metal should be easy, but making a truss out of it is not. I have a dremel tool, I figure that would help. Any other thoughts?

What type of string are yall using for cable?

And pulleys, any idea where I can find pulleys that small?
For cable I use 2mm black nylon cord and for pulleys I use meccano pulleys purchased from ebay.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks Scott
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Thinking Big

Member Number: 1490

Welcome aboard! like Scott said so far its been alot of off the shelf parts that are working nicely. only real Fabbing that Mog and I have done is to make the mounts for the servos and cut the hole to put them in.

I looked at the tonka dragline to but i wanted the wheeled chassis of the unit crane. So far its workable but im waiting and waiting for parts to come in. I got a brass bucket off ebay but i think its a bit too small lol.

as for string i bought 18ft of that stuff off of the guy on ebay thats selling restring and instructions for the unit crane. i only really got it just so i had the instructions to be sure. the cable is very similar to the venetian blinds. its braided and coated. should be tough stuff!

for spur gear i got the large VEX gear set coming from robot market place. just hope its big enough. other option is to get the VEX chain set and do it that way.

-Dean
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks Dean, I appreciate the tips. I am looking forward to seeing more of your dragline build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
Welcome aboard! like Scott said so far its been alot of off the shelf parts that are working nicely. only real Fabbing that Mog and I have done is to make the mounts for the servos and cut the hole to put them in.

I looked at the tonka dragline to but i wanted the wheeled chassis of the unit crane. So far its workable but im waiting and waiting for parts to come in. I got a brass bucket off ebay but i think its a bit too small lol.

as for string i bought 18ft of that stuff off of the guy on ebay thats selling restring and instructions for the unit crane. i only really got it just so i had the instructions to be sure. the cable is very similar to the venetian blinds. its braided and coated. should be tough stuff!

for spur gear i got the large VEX gear set coming from robot market place. just hope its big enough. other option is to get the VEX chain set and do it that way.

-Dean
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM

It arrived today. I do not know the exact scale but I think it is going to turn out well. The curves and construction is great. The boom is damaged but I knew that when I bought it. A few repairs and the build can begin once more parts arrive.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Last edited by RoboTX : 03-15-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 PM

Member Number: 13252

RoboTx,
can't view the pictures you posted.

Cheers

Paul