Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Member Number: 14689
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Losi Micro Crawler vs. Trail Trekker

So, I am trying to figure out which of these go to with. Would like to use it to learn about scale work as well as enjoying it with my little 3 year old buddy. Trying to figure out if after all the "necessary" modifications I will have regretted getting the lmc and just paid the extra 60 bucks and gone with the Trail Trekker. What say ye?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

Member Number: 14269
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

if you want ''scale'' then you've already made your first mistake with the micro crawler, as, its NOT. the trekker is the one with the more scale chassis and proportions to it. the micro is a slab of aluminum with some axles attached to it.

granted a rather capable slab of aluminum, but in no way,shape or form can it be considered scale.

so if thats what your after you only have one choice and thats the trekker.
NOW...if you are handy with some shop tools and can make your own chassis, etc...you will save a few bucks with the micro. but the trekeer is wider so its more stable.

you can get aftermarket chassis for the micro, but they are about 30 dollars, and honestly, i have one and am NOT impressed with it.

go with the trekker is what i say.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Junglist 4 Lyfe!

Member Number: 3708

i wouldn't call the trekker truly scale either, just very slightly more scale than the McRC micro crawler.
the trail trekker or as losi calls it ( MC4x4 ) isn't very different from the micro crawler ( McRC ). other than being a little wider and longer and the shocks mounted inboard its pretty much the same thing. the chassis is not scale at all. its a similar twin vertical plate but with the front and back extended to fit larger bodies.
but for many people that's good enough.

so in the end it comes down to what the buyers needs and wants are. if you want the extra width and length get the mc4x4. the truck stock should fit many 1/24 scale bodies with some work.

if you want to save some $,the MC4x4 is to long, or you dont need the "new" parts then just get the Mc4x4 and build your own

the only "new" parts are the twin plate chassis, tires,body,longer links & drive shafts,wider hexes and stub shafts.
the servo,electronics,motor,transmission, axles (other than hexes and stub shafts) & wheels are the same.

either way both are great and all the important parts are the same.
if its just a casual toy for light crawling and you dont plan to mod very much at all i would get the MC4x4 trekker just for stability from the extra width and length
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Junglist 4 Lyfe!

also as far as the scale chassis the i really like the looks of the crawler X chassis especially the EX 4.5 and 5.5

also the custom cuts its very nice but i dont know how easy it is to get in the US
Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 AM
When In Doubt, Power Out

Member Number: 14110

go the trail trekker, you would have more oportunities to put a better and more scale body under it
Old 04-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Junglist 4 Lyfe!

I dont think a putting a body UNDER your Mc4x4 would look very scale :P
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 AM
When In Doubt, Power Out

Hahaha, I mea put the body on body post held down by body clips or possibly velcrow.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Junglist 4 Lyfe!

body underneath
FAIL: your doing it wrong haha

Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 AM
When In Doubt, Power Out

Hahaha, were u driving. lol
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Member Number: 14269
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser FJ40 View Post
go the trail trekker, you would have more oportunities to put a better and more scale body under it
awesome! more opportunity for noobs to post ''NICE TRUCK'' in your build thread!!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 PM

just pulled the trigger on a silver trail trekker! Can't wait!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Member Number: 13407
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlRC View Post
awesome! more opportunity for noobs to post ''NICE TRUCK'' in your build thread!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnram View Post
just pulled the trigger on a silver trail trekker! Can't wait!
Hey that's great!!

Nice Tru........wait, not yet.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:16 AM

Member Number: 9044

Hello,

I just found this thread and read it intently, because even I am thinking about which one I should bought.

I am planung to built up an Mercedes Unimog in 1/25. The trekker seams to be a optimal basis from wheelbase side, but seams to be a bit to wide. Ive already learnt, that the McRC is a bit smaler than the MC4x4. Could someone tell me how Losi did this different? Does Losi use a wider Hex? Or is the whole axle of the MC4x4 a bit expanded than the axle of the McRC?

Could someone tell me the diameter of the original wheels?

One last question:
I`m new in this smal scale, could someone give me some links where I can get some mog ups, like rims, wheels, springs, engines, shocks etc.?

Many Thanks

Hoffy
Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
4x4

Member Number: 15200

I was debating between the Trekker or MRC as well. I also have a 3yr old daughter i had to consider when purchasing it. I wanted something i could turn into a scaler, and switch back to stock body quickly for her to drive. IMO the closest to a scale chassis seemed to be the trekker and it seemed a little more capable out the box than the MRC (trekker seemed like it would be easier for her to drive it without it tipping) so i bought the Trekker. So far ive been able to mount my bronco and fj40 body's using the stock body mounts/(4)body clips. I just had to dremel the body's a bit allowing for quick body swaps. Other than the stock losi servo breaking after only 3 days (replaced with hs-65mg, steers way better!) me and my daughter have been happy with the Trekker.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM

Loved the work on the Bronco MicroTrekker! Yeah, trying to share the Trekker between 4 year old sister, 3 year old brother, and 35 year old daddy...whew...it's been challenging. I'm trying to mess with the stock body till I get some other options. I was stripping the chrome off the stock wheels...and think I messed up the tires. Then was gonna clean them off good and boiled the mess out of them...by by tires. Maybe they will work as a nice spare for a scaler. I'm hoping to pick up some new ones this week. It is currently sitting in a box in pieces...