Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Pigpen of Miscellany > Outdoor Pursuits
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Outdoor Pursuits Camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Member Number: 13407
B/S/T Feedback: (3)
Default Need some advice - Hunting & Tactical knives

My brother is standing up in my wedding as my best man. Instead of getting him the typical gift like an engraved flask or something, I'd like to get him something he can/will use.

He's a Staff Sgt in the IL Nat'l Guard and an avid hunter, so a good dependable knife would serve as a pretty useful gift. Only problem is, I have no military or hunting experience and really wouldn't know how to spot a dependable quality knife other than by looking at the price tag.

I'm looking to spend around $150. A folding lock-blade style would probably work best, he doesn't need a Rambo knife. From the research I have done, $150 barely gets me into the high-end knives...but that's all I can afford. I think he'll still appreciate more than a typical mindless/thoughtless gift.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Demo..for short. Semper Fi to all those serving the country

Member Number: 3586
B/S/T Feedback: (9)

Some good names are Benchmade, Kershaw, Schrade, SOG, Ka-Bar to name a few.
Here is a sight with many to chose from, I have never ordered from them myself but do use them foe selection/research. Link will take you to the fixed blade selection 0-$150.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...&max_price=150
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 528
B/S/T Feedback: (17)

my personal preferance is columbia river knive & tool (crkt). I carry a mid size m-16 series everyday and my FULL size m-16 is currently back at the mfg getting repaired. something about a lock blade and 2lb sledge splitting 5inch oak for kindling. i had a sog le/mil switchblade. very nice piece but VERY expensive for what it is. in my experiende kbar and benchmade are both VERY durable knives also.

heres what i carry everyday.
http://www.crkt.com/M16-13-Special-F...rch_id=1108685

heres what is at the mfg getting fixed. carry it when working out on the farm and want a bit more.
http://www.crkt.com/M16-14-Z-Desert-...rch_id=1108685

this is just my opinion is just mine. remember opinions are like a... armpits, yeah thats it, everybodys got 2 and lot of em stink.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Thanks guys! I've checked out the links and it seems I've got plenty of options...luckily I have some time before I need to order something.

I really liked the look of some of the crkt knives, as well as some of the SOG and Benchmades. Seems like there's a new line of crkt knives coming out soon - I've emailed their customer service to see when they are going to be released. The current models that I liked are mostly out of stock, so hopefully the new line will be released soon.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Member Number: 8976
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Check out the Kershaw Spec Bump. My favorite folding knife I've owned.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Lost and confused on.... what was I saying?

Member Number: 6114
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAXXED View Post
Check out the Kershaw Spec Bump. My favorite folding knife I've owned.
Def one of my favorite manufacturers as well. Kershaw blades will never let you down. Here's a great folding knife that is good for everyday use as well as protection hunting etc etc.

http://www.thekershawstore.com/Zero-...p/zt0400st.htm

For more of a tactical knife I love this design.

http://www.thekershawstore.com/Kersh...fe-p/k3200.htm

--Dan

Last edited by sickcivic95 : 02-20-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Thanks guys - I'll have a look through the Kershaw line. I haven't really looked at much of their stuff yet. I did see that the Spec Bump has been discontinued, but I'm sure I can find something similar.

Here's the few that are currently in the running, more will probably be added:
CRKT M16-14ZLEK - its not released yet, and the current model is out of stock.
SOG Flash II Tanto
SOG Trident Tanto
Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Demo..for short. Semper Fi to all those serving the country

Member Number: 3586
B/S/T Feedback: (9)

I carry a Kershaw everyday, 1670 BLKST, quick flick opening lock blade. Love it for a daily carry.

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kersha...S1670BLKST.htm
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Finally made my decision and placed the order this morning.

I went with the Benchmade 520 Presidio with a black combo blade, and am having Benchmade laser engrave the blade. Total cost w/ shipping/tax/engraving and such was about $170. $20 over budget

I consulted two friends of mine and my brother's who are active duty military and they both highly recommended anything Benchmade, and many of the benchmade models have gotten great reviews. Should be a few weeks before it gets here, but I'll post up some actual photos for everyone then.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

The knife showed up today! I'm very pleased, and I know my brother will be too. He's not getting it until next month but I know he'll be very happy and surprised. On to the pics...

Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM
just old and not posting just to post

Member Number: 3380
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

nice knife , looks almost like mine lol
i have the benchmade ATS-34 but i have stopped carrying it and put it away for now .

now i carry a $10 knife that it doesn't matter if you chip the blade or lose it or some friend puts it in his pocket and returns it a month later after a hunting trip that you notice that he is using your $140 knife to throw at lizards in the rocks lol
Old 05-23-2012, 07:34 PM
what are we talking about?

Member Number: 3477

Same here I got a real nice Ka-bar and some expensive case knives but I carry a small knife I found above a drop ceiling last year it seems I can't lose that one. It seems that it is a whole lot harder to lose a cheap knife.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Member Number: 16747

Glad to see you went with benchmade. Im on active duty in the marines, and have already completed six tours to the middle east with a seventh coming up. I have spent my ten year career in elite units, so I'm not just some pencil pusher who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have carried a benchmade of some form or fashion for four out of six of my deployments in some of the most volatile places on earth. I put them through hell and I've never broken one. The blade keeps its edge with a periodic sharpening that isnt labor intensive. they are worth every penny. Lucky for me, the commands I belong to and have belonged to give them to me!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm Ron Burgandy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Glad to see you went with benchmade. Im on active duty in the marines, and have already completed six tours to the middle east with a seventh coming up. I have spent my ten year career in elite units, so I'm not just some pencil pusher who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have carried a benchmade of some form or fashion for four out of six of my deployments in some of the most volatile places on earth. I put them through hell and I've never broken one. The blade keeps its edge with a periodic sharpening that isnt labor intensive. they are worth every penny. Lucky for me, the commands I belong to and have belonged to give them to me!
First of all -- Thank You for your service!

2nd -- thanks for reaffirming my decision to go with benchmade...other military friends of mine had given their recommendation, but your experience is greatly appreciated!

7 tours huh?!?! WOW...a good friend of mine has been on 4 (2 Iraq, 2 Afghanistan) and I thought that was intense! My brother was deployed to Afghanistan in 2003, but a few weeks after his arrival Bush gave the go on Iraq and he found himself teamed with the 101st airborne right in the heart of Baghdad. Scary stuff for sure...I don't know how you guys do it.

I think the knife will serve him well for what he needs it to do. Hopefully he doesn't lose it as others have had happened to them. I do hope he uses it though, otherwise its just a $170 paperweight.