Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > General R/C Banter > Polls
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Polls If you want it voted on, post it here!


View Poll Results: Who should review the Axial Wraith Spawn?
Quigs10.2 4 3.92%
Champy 47 46.08%
Steve28 49 48.04%
1badxj 1 0.98%
Noobsk8r 1 0.98%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Jugg2Driver's Avatar
Jugg2Driver Jugg2Driver is offline
Don Jugglioni: Master of the domain!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14,928
Member Number: 3
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default Scale 4x4 R/C gives away the Axial Wraith Spawn....You decide!

Instead of me simply picking out a winner of the Axial Wraith Spawn I decided that it might be more fitting to let the community decided which of these R/C enthusiast should be reviewing the Axial Wraith Spawn.

Please take the time to watch each video and decide on who you want to see do a review.

Here are the videos

1. Quigs10.2
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=744173425630493

2. Champy

3. Steve28

4. 1badxj

5. Noobsk8r

The poll will be open for 2 weeks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyranosaur View Post
(Brrrrrraaaappffffffsssshhhhhh(squeak)tttthhhhhhhh pppppppt!) Chris
Proud member of MtTABRA (More than Three Axles Big Rig Association)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links


The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
  #2  
Old 01-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Champy's Avatar
Champy Champy is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14
Member Number: 22978
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Congratulations Bailey! We can't wait to see your video. Really loved what you did in the 30 sec entry
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Steve28 Steve28 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Member Number: 23019
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Red face Is it over?

Hi Champy, is it over? We had resigned at our house to a loss here, because you came on so strong today with so many votes today (and actually I was really proud of the way my daughter and son handled it) But I fully expected to go to bed and wake up having been passed up. What a tough couple weeks at the polls!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Champy View Post
Congratulations Bailey! We can't wait to see your video. Really loved what you did in the 30 sec entry
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Champy's Avatar
Champy Champy is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14
Member Number: 22978
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Good morning Steve28!
The polls ended a bit late but Bailey had it all the way. You guys had an awesome 30 second entry video and so deserve the Spawn! Ali and I can't wait to see your videos

....pretty sure we'll be saving our pennies to get our first Axial RC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Quigs10.2 Quigs10.2 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 8
Member Number: 22923
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

congratulations bailey i know you'll make an awesome video cant wait to see it!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2015, 07:30 PM
1badxj's Avatar
1badxj 1badxj is offline
Where i am going and how did i get here
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,176
Member Number: 4135
B/S/T Feedback: (29)
Default

Congrats Bailey your who I voted for. cant wait to see the parachute test
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Steve28 Steve28 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Member Number: 23019
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Smile Thanks!

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement. Bailey and my 8 year old son were super excited yesterday morning. I tell you what, making the video (which took quite a bit of time) was easy compared to the last two weeks. I don't know why, but I don't think that very many (if any at all) existing forum members voted for the videos (just as I was surprised by the fact that only 5 videos were made to win this awesome truck!). Anyway, the kids and I ended up going on a sustained campaign to make new members for Scale 4X4 RC. We walked through our neighborhood passing out flyers, we called relatives and friends, and fellow pastors at the church where I work. Anybody who came to our house was presented with the request to become a member of Scale 4X4 RC and vote. And even then, only a fraction of the people we asked actually voted. Champy, we almost threw in the towel Monday when you surpassed us. But then on Wednesday we thought to take our invitations to the office staff of the church, and then to our Youth Group that night where we hit up more parents and their kids (getting us up to 46 votes). I thought that you'd be done after that Champy, but then you made that run on Saturday and I thought, "Are you serious!" The kids went out into the neighborhood again and we brainstormed more people. We got a few extra votes before the voting closed and since we are on Mountain time, we had I believe 5-10 more people attempt to vote after it closed (I was unclear as to what time zone we were going by and exactly what time the voting ended). My wife on more than one occasion was embarrassed with our shameless campaign! But we were determined. Probably the biggest takeaway for the forum is that the registration is confusing for many people. I think that we probably had another 20-30 people attempt to register but give up after a number of failed attempts. Anyway, it was a good learning and growing experience for the kids especially, to have the courage to talk to friends and especially to walk through a neighborhood talking to adults about the competition and the hobby. Thanks Scale 4X4 R/C for the awesome idea of the giveaway (Scale 4X4 RC and the hobby was introduced to MANY people for the first time, with the result that they can't wait to see Bailey's video and other future R/C videos on the website) and thanks to you guys who made the other videos-you did great!

Last edited by Steve28 : 01-19-2015 at 08:36 AM. Reason: One more comment and edit
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 AM
SomeTexan SomeTexan is offline
Old Time'r
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 672
Member Number: 23185
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement. Bailey and my 8 year old son were super excited yesterday morning. I tell you what, making the video (which took quite a bit of time) was easy compared to the last two weeks. I don't know why, but I don't think that very many (if any at all) existing forum members voted for the videos (just as I was surprised by the fact that only 5 videos were made to win this awesome truck!). Anyway, the kids and I ended up going on a sustained campaign to make new members for Scale 4X4 RC. We walked through our neighborhood passing out flyers, we called relatives and friends, and fellow pastors at the church where I work. Anybody who came to our house was presented with the request to become a member of Scale 4X4 RC and vote. And even then, only a fraction of the people we asked actually voted. Champy, we almost threw in the towel Monday when you surpassed us. But then on Wednesday we thought to take our invitations to the office staff of the church, and then to our Youth Group that night where we hit up more parents and their kids (getting us up to 46 votes). I thought that you'd be done after that Champy, but then you made that run on Saturday and I thought, "Are you serious!" The kids went out into the neighborhood again and we brainstormed more people. We got a few extra votes before the voting closed and since we are on Mountain time, we had I believe 5-10 more people attempt to vote after it closed (I was unclear as to what time zone we were going by and exactly what time the voting ended). My wife on more than one occasion was embarrassed with our shameless campaign! But we were determined. Probably the biggest takeaway for the forum is that the registration is confusing for many people. I think that we probably had another 20-30 people attempt to register but give up after a number of failed attempts. Anyway, it was a good learning and growing experience for the kids especially, to have the courage to talk to friends and especially to walk through a neighborhood talking to adults about the competition and the hobby. Thanks Scale 4X4 R/C for the awesome idea of the giveaway (Scale 4X4 RC and the hobby was introduced to MANY people for the first time, with the result that they can't wait to see Bailey's video and other future R/C videos on the website) and thanks to you guys who made the other videos-you did great!
That type of "win" is allowed here? Instead of having your video chosen because it was the best, you lured what basically amounts to spammers into registering just to vote for you? Most web sites I have been on would swing the ban hammer over that. I thought the active membership would be expected to make that decision, not a bunch of one hit wonder accounts. I am new here, so this may be acceptable, I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Steve28 Steve28 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Member Number: 23019
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeTexan View Post
That type of "win" is allowed here? Instead of having your video chosen because it was the best, you lured what basically amounts to spammers into registering just to vote for you? Most web sites I have been on would swing the ban hammer over that. I thought the active membership would be expected to make that decision, not a bunch of one hit wonder accounts. I am new here, so this may be acceptable, I'm just curious.
SomeTexan: I appreciate your opinion on this, and actually Matt hasn't declared a winner yet. But my response would be as follows: 1. The Wraith Spawn isn't the most important thing to me in something like this, integrity is. Were this to be considered by Matt or the community unacceptable I'd gladly say, give the car to the next guy, Champy in this case or the others who are worthy of it. 2. This was not done in the dark, hence the previous post. I'm not hiding anything here. 3. There were no rules to the contrary, it was simply stated that members of the community would decide by way of vote. All the people who voted became members of the community. 4. It seems that the whole idea of the giveaway was to raise the profile the Axial company as well as Scale 4X4 R/C. We did much to do this for both, so I would say that telling friends and family and neighbors to register and vote was consistent with the purposes of the givaway, but I'm not the final judge of that. 5. The community seemed by and large indifferent to the whole givaway. Champy, did all your votes come by way of the community? I'd be suprised were that to be the case, my assumption after day two of the vote was that this was going to boil down to working hard to gain as many new votes and members of the community as possible to win. By the way, I wish it were the case that more people from the community would have been interested and would have voted! I really thought that we had a good chance of winning with our video. 6. This was not an easy thing to do and working within the parameters of the rules given we worked hard for the most votes. And by the way, we were told time and again by the new members who voted for us that they thought we should definitely win as they really liked our video best. Should their votes be vetoed because of their relationship with us? If so, what about (if there were such votes) other members' votes (which could only have been for Champy) were they motivated by believing Champys video as being the best, or did they know Champy best, and how do we know what their true motivation for voting as they did? 6. It seems unfair to call all of these new members "one hit wonders," to the forum. The first people we contacted were R/C enthusiasts we knew. My hope for them would be to become regulars to the site. Moreover, I feel we generated in many an interest in the hobby and opened their eyes to how cool R/Cs are, and even communities like this. Further, the people who voted for us ate genuinely excited to see bailey do a review of the truck, so they are real people and not just empty "votes." 7. I'm most interested in the other guys' thoughts who actually made videos and participated in the contest. I'm confident we can sort this out! I've been encouraged and have felt a comaraderie of spirit with them throughout this competition. Well, those are my thoughts on the matter, hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM
SomeTexan SomeTexan is offline
Old Time'r
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 672
Member Number: 23185
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

I think my post came out more harsh than I intended, I didn't mean to sound judgmental. I remember when I was an admin on a sportbike forum, and dealing with over 80,0000 accounts that registered just to vote on a chain and sprocket give-away. Of course, this is a much smaller scale (pun intended), and it's been a long time since I've done the admin thing. It may not be the problem that it was 12 years ago. I was going to vote for your video (I'm all for encouraging kids to join in on hobbies like this) but decided to leave that decision to the long term members that share good info on this site.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Steve28 Steve28 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Member Number: 23019
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeTexan View Post
I think my post came out more harsh than I intended, I didn't mean to sound judgmental. I remember when I was an admin on a sportbike forum, and dealing with over 80,0000 accounts that registered just to vote on a chain and sprocket give-away. Of course, this is a much smaller scale (pun intended), and it's been a long time since I've done the admin thing. It may not be the problem that it was 12 years ago. I was going to vote for your video (I'm all for encouraging kids to join in on hobbies like this) but decided to leave that decision to the long term members that share good info on this site.
No problem, I understand.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Champy's Avatar
Champy Champy is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 14
Member Number: 22978
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default

Hey guys! Just got home from work and read the above comments. I'm glad you explained yourself better SomeTexan
My daughter and I did the same thing. Asked fellow RC enthusiasts to join if not already a member and moved onto family and friends. We actually had 15 more potential members to vote for us but for some reason those 15 people never received their confirmation e-mail. I didn't think its was wrong to ask others to join and still don't.
A member, is a member. If you are a member at a golf course but never use the course, do you not get to vote at the annual meeting? They do at my course.
I feel it's a win,win. Bailey and her brother get to bash and review an awesome RCvehicle and the forum may have some new blood that will join in the fun.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Jugg2Driver's Avatar
Jugg2Driver Jugg2Driver is offline
Don Jugglioni: Master of the domain!
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 14,928
Member Number: 3
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default

Well I guess it is time that I chimed in.

First off I want to say thank you to all of you who participated, I have to mention that I was surprised by the lack of participants but limiting it to just the USA (lower 48) probably had some affect on that total.

Be that as it may I was pleased with the efforts made by those of you who did participate.

Now let me touch on the topics above. When I originally set this contest out there, I had intended to choose the winner myself with the idea that I would have to review numerous videos and whittle it down to a few and then select a winner. But when it ended and I only had 5 videos I felt that perhaps letting the community decide was a better option.

When I went that route I didn't really consider whether or not the participants would "campaign" on their own behalf. I didn't really lay in rules down forbidding it, so in that regard it's a non issue.

Ultimately the idea was to bring spotlight to the new truck from Axial as well as this forum. I wanted to continue to bring new eyes and members to this forum. So in some respects the "campaigning" did just that, perhaps some of those people who simply voted might find themselves bitten by the R/C Bug.


So with that being said I guess I should confirm who is actually going to be declared the winner.

The votes will count and our winner is Steve28 and his daughter Bailey!

Congrats, I look forward to the review video you two will produce.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyranosaur View Post
(Brrrrrraaaappffffffsssshhhhhh(squeak)tttthhhhhhhh pppppppt!) Chris
Proud member of MtTABRA (More than Three Axles Big Rig Association)
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, Scale 4x4 R/C