Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Tips, Tricks, FAQs
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tips, Tricks, FAQs Painting tips, building tips, How To's, ETC

Old 11-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Member Number: 676
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Acoms techniplus 4 with highlift ????

Here in england i have seen highlifts sold with the above radio as a package deal. I bought one for my highlift and i foundout it cant be used or am i doing something wrong?

The stick used for the throttle has 1 channel which is sprung to return to centre and one channel which isnt sprung so doesnt return to centre which would normally be used for shifting.
The unsprung side is in the position that the throttle would normally be in (up/down) therefore cant be used as throttle. I opened the radio case up to see if it could be turned around but it cant. This would mean using the steering stick as the throttle which is hard to get used to.

I also found that even if you used the throttle stick as steering then any little movement of the unsprung channel stick grinded the gearbox.

I just think it cant be used but why are tamiya dealers selling the highlift with these?

Am i missing something out?

Help is apreciated, i want to run my highlift . thanks.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't have time to work on any of my projects

Member Number: 1161
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

I have a similar issue with a radio i have. You can use a Traxxas TQ3 radio from what I have read They only cost about $20 -35 and you have to do the 3position switch install. This will not allow you to use the MFU thingie though
Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 PM

Member Number: 1196

So you can buy this one for £14.00 plus P&P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRAXXAS-T-MAXX...QQcmdZViewItem

If it's a 3 channel, why do you have to fit the switch?? sorry to be thick!! i understand that the standard controller does 1st and 3rd gear, but why???
But these are really cheap, as the others i've looked at are over hundred quid..
Doesn't look like they come with crystals though..
Thanks Dodge
Old 11-20-2006, 02:36 PM
RCMT'er

Member Number: 806

fitting the 3 position switch gives you 3 gears, otherwise stock it only has 1, and 3rd.

As for your throttle, why not put steering and throttle on the right stick? Shift with the left.

Taken from the radio FAQ at RCMT

I set up a traxxas tq3 for a blazer, and a hilux and they work mint. I've picked them up from e-bay for 33 bucks shipped to my door. Radio, reciever and crystals. There are lots selling without, but look for the whole deal it happens.
I now have done a few of these radios. 1 hour max time to do it.
A switch from radio shack is 4 bucks, Purchase this switch, or one similar.
Must be a center off for shifting, rock crawlers want a momentary for rear steer.

Pull your crystal and batteries out.
Remove the 5 screws from the rear of the radio, #1 philips.
Seprate the 2 halves making sure the entire electronics stay in the front half.
Notice the grey center wire on the traxxas red rocker, this wire must go to the center of your new switch. The black and white go to the 2 outside terminals.
Take your iron, or gun and desolder these wires from the rocker.
I put my spdt switch up in the top of my radio so I need to lengthen the 3 wires.
A good idea if your going to drill is to remove anything close to your hole. I know, wrecked a steering pot and had to steal one from a 2ch radio. :banghead Dull drill bit :banghead

Solder up the switch, and install in either the rocker hole, or the new one you made. If you mount it near the steering remove the extra (second) nut to stick the switch out farther.

Put back half back on carefull not to pinch any wires.
Pop in the crystal, and batteries and test, servo reversing will change top and bottom positions, and there is a (screw driver) trim adjustment up front to center it.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:48 PM

Member Number: 1196

So if we use the Traxxas TQ3 ,what do we need on the crystal side??
As all i have at the moment is the kit and bearing set.?
Sorry to jump in a nick your thread!!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Faster you fool!

Member Number: 311
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Sounds like your radio is set-up for aircraft, where the throttle stick is a ratcheting type that doesn't center. If it's a 4 channel radio, all you really need is a shift gate for your throttle stick, like the old Tamiya Bruisers and Mountaineers used. The throttle stick's other channel, which does self center, was used to shift gears. There was a shift gate that had three slots in it. It looked like a 6 speed plate, found on the Lamborghini cars. Center was 2nd gear, left 1st gear, all the way right, 3rd gear. The stick would naturally stay centered, but pushing it over in a slot would hold it in that gear because the gates prevented the stick from centering when you applied throttle, either forward, or reverse.

It looks like this -

Old 11-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 1227

I have tried useing the traxxas tq3 and hitec lazer 6 and I would go for the tq3 any day. I found it a lot eiseyer to use and I dont have to worry about it sliping into a different gear.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Same name, different avatar

Member Number: 1137

Most stick radios can be modded to allow the throttle to spring-center. Compare the two gimbals to see what the difference is. On the DX-6, some pieces need to be added. On the Laser 6, some pieces are removed.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Faster you fool!

Member Number: 311
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Most stick radios can be modded to allow the throttle to spring-center. Compare the two gimbals to see what the difference is. On the DX-6, some pieces need to be added. On the Laser 6, some pieces are removed.
Very true, and I was going to mention that most manufacturers will sell you the parts you need to make the conversion, but with a self-centering stick, you still will grind gears if you release the tension on the stick. The best is to have a toggle switch, or use a shift gate. The ratcheting mechanism on the throttle stick, will maintain it's last position, and that would keep the other channel (shifting) from centering, once it's slid up into the shift gate.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

Member Number: 676

Quote:
As for your throttle, why not put steering and throttle on the right stick? Shift with the left.
Have you ever tried to do that. Its very difficult to use this setup and would make driving in " crawling conditions" where progressive throttle and steering is needed impossible.

I understand how you could make a shift gate but that still would not work on this transmiter. The up/down throttle channel on the left stick is ratcheted one so when you press the stick up to go forward it would carry on until you centred the stick yourself, which would cause runaways.

Im thinking of returning it to the LHS and opting for a different one.

Does anybody know of a radio with a 3 way toggle switch?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:08 PM

Member Number: 1060

I "think" we have the same radio as I had the same problem. Out of the box I don't think it is suitable it is definately set up for "air" applications. This is the 40mhz version maybe the 27mhz version selfcentres in all directions?

Not for the faint hearted but I did take the transmitter to pieces and set the throttle to return to centre and the shift will stay where it is left (don't think I managed to move the ratchet system)

It involves quite a lot of taking apart and I had to go further into the transmitter than I really felt comfortable with.

On a scale of difficulty it's on par with the highlift gearbox, hooking the little spring up is a right pain. I wasn't far off a full blown tantrum before it just clicked into place.

Today my ham fistedness and impatience managed to shear two M12 bolts on the suspension of my 1:1 Land Rover
Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 AM

Member Number: 10468
Default Acoms techniplus 4

I have just bought an acoms, with a ratchet on the left forward reverse stick, I was going to try and swap the stick control round by 90 degrees, so the ratchet goes left to right, and controls the gear change. Has anyone tried this before?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Member Number: 11834

Quote:
Originally Posted by haich View Post
I have just bought an acoms, with a ratchet on the left forward reverse stick, I was going to try and swap the stick control round by 90 degrees, so the ratchet goes left to right, and controls the gear change. Has anyone tried this before?
hey haich, did you get anywhere with this?

Just finishing my high lift and searching for info on whether this is possible or works satisfactorily if done.

Input from anybody who's done/tried this very much appreciated cos really don't get on with the ratcheted accelerator but think it'd work OK if switched 90 degrees (I've got a gate, just prefer the control of a self centring accelerator...)