Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Monsters of R/C (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mad Dog II (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82208)

Tomi_A 08-20-2016 04:30 AM

Mad Dog II

So, this is my current build that I started about 4-5 months ago. This time I wanted to make something old school with leaf springs and huge amount of shocks. I wanted something that wasn't so common and Mad Dog II would fit that category. I have seen only one Clod with a Blazer body.

About parts... Chassis halves are from Tamiya Bruiser and I have straightened those to suit my plans. Leafs are from Tamiya Mammoth Dump Truck. They were slightly too short so I needed to reverse rear shackles and I'll need to drill new holes in the front to get the action better. There will be 3 shocks in each corner and they are some cheap Chinese pogos from ebay. Axle cases, transfer case and gear box are 3d printed by myself and I also have designed those pieces. They are based on real and rc stuff. This will be a twin brushed motor MT just for the sake of it.

To summarize:

Body: RC4WD Blazer
Chassis: Tamiya Bruiser
Axles: 3d printed cases, axial inside
Leafs: Tamiya
Shocks: 12x Chinese cheapo
Gearbox: 3d printed case, RC4WD R3 inside
Transfer case: 3d printed, RC4WD Triton inside
Tires: Clod (will get JConcept Firestorms onc they're out)
Wheels: Pro Line Brawlers +17,5 (Also will get the Jconcept Tribute wheels)
Motors: 2x Tamiya torque tuned
ESC: Hobbywing Quicrun 860

Pile of pics

hairba11 08-20-2016 05:25 PM

That's awesome! Wondering how hard it would be to have the axial pinion point straight up with a bevel gear on it and another bevel gear and shaft for top loader axles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hairba11 08-20-2016 05:37 PM

Or even just coming out at an angle to get the drive shaft closer to the right position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullitt 08-20-2016 09:17 PM

The blazer body looks great sitting on top of the clod tires. I'd like to have an old school monster truck as well someday. I would probably go the King Krunch direction if I do.

Harry

Looneybin 08-20-2016 09:50 PM

Thats cool but why not use txt/jugg axles?

Tomi_A 08-21-2016 02:11 AM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairba11 (Post 1048185)
Wondering how hard it would be to have the axial pinion point straight up with a bevel gear on it and another bevel gear and shaft for top loader axles

Hmm, never really thought about that or just using a different angle with the pinion. To get them straight up I'd need to make a custom input shaft. It could be done, I'll think about it. It would definately improve the looks.

Quote:

Thats cool but why not use txt/jugg axles?
I don't really like the look of those and I think my own axles gives me more freedom with attachments. There will be wire steering...

Tomi_A 09-06-2016 01:33 PM

I have made some progress with this build. I have now all the shocks on and made a new gearbox support. Shock towers and gearbox support are made of 1,5mm steel plate. Next I'll start fabricating all necessary parts for the wire steering. It's gonna be a bit tricky but I think it will work.

Chevelle 09-06-2016 05:04 PM

WOW, what a beastie :) I like it, Nice work!

Tomi_A 09-07-2016 10:09 AM

Thanks, Chevelle!

Dominick Shauntee 09-08-2016 10:01 PM

Very Nice !! Just my style I considered doing something similar but moved on to another project

Tomi_A 10-14-2016 03:02 PM

Thanks, Dominick!

I have worked with the steering this week and I'm about ready to start testing. I hope it works.

In the rear there's wire system and the front is traditional for now.

Dominick Shauntee 10-14-2016 09:44 PM

Thanks for update keep us posted !

Tomi_A 10-16-2016 08:23 AM

Steering testing done and it was a success.

I will change the front to wire system also. I think wires works better in the back than the rod in the front. So rod goes to trash and in comes wires.

markturbo 11-04-2016 06:03 PM

Nice build, I like the old school look.

Tomi_A 11-09-2016 11:35 AM

Thanks markturbo! Yeah old scholl, it's something different.

Front is now wired too.

Next, I'll begin to mount the body onto the chassis. I think the body will need some kind of support frame and chassis attachments. Perhaps tube work of some sort...