Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Car Discussion (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   VW Type 2, Split-window double cab, 1/16 (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85591)

frizzen 09-17-2018 05:18 PM

Sorry i got it mixed up. It looks sweet! Nice job!

Any chance you might be able to get a couple mesurements on the split? Decklid width, height from hinge to center of light, and width from lid gap to center of light?

Or i can just eyeball it, 5mm leds should work great for me..

2redrovers 09-17-2018 10:15 PM

Thanks, came up alright in the end considering I'm a beater not a painter. That was my first 2pac paint job.

Can't get any measurements off that bus sorry (its not located close by) but I can give you a couple reference marks to work with.
The section between the upper hatch and lower engine cover is about 43mm, I think this is fairly consistent with a split window bus as well as the bay.

The louvers on in the vent panel are 40mm spacing. This is a vent for a spilt installed on the camper to allow heat escape from fridge etc.

Hopefully that helps you eyeball what you need.

frizzen 09-18-2018 05:53 AM

In the city it's a pity, cause we just can't hide,
Tinted windows don't mean nothin' , they know who's inside.

Stripped that limo tint off!

So i made another concession to Kustom and kept the 1966-up big back window. It will show off an interior better, it already had the window trim step-down, and i'm not going to get all the Lowrider back out of the truck anyway. Small window is cuter, but i'd rather drive something with more rear visibility.

2redrovers 09-18-2018 07:14 AM

That's a big, big improvement.. looks good and I don't think the big back window is a problem. Like you said, visibility is a plus when you're drivin the block

frizzen 09-20-2018 10:05 PM

Googlie Eyes for the win!
So we're getting lights now! Bullet turnsignals are 3mm leds. Headlights will get a filler plate and take 5mm leds. Taillights are getting shaved, redone as 61-earlier round with 5mm leds.

Headlight lens is front of a googlie eyeball, then i made a couple more bigger ones into Baby Moons to make my wheels look a little better.

2redrovers 09-21-2018 04:57 AM

That's looking really good. Amazing the difference just adding the moons and headlights make, looks like a real car now and less like a toy.

frizzen 09-21-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2redrovers (Post 1064827)
The split 56 I restored for a mate has small round lights

Ok, using a dial caliper i scaled that pic on my phone to actual size on the truck, then figured out light center and step drilled to a snug fit on 5mm leds.

I think this looks better

2redrovers 09-21-2018 11:33 PM

Bam! And its done.
*4 thumbs up*

frizzen 10-13-2018 01:26 AM

Thanks!
She's not gonna make it back to stock, so let's roll with it.

Looks like i need to either rough up the LEDs on my Underglow, or take a file and knock the 'lenses' off to help even out the pattern a little more. Looks much better in person, as my phone is certainly not a DSLR.

2redrovers 10-15-2018 04:53 AM

I like it.. rig it up with a flashing doof-doof sound system and go the whole hog.

I came across this the other day too, just love the colour combo

frizzen 10-16-2018 08:05 PM

Filling it with Subwoofers and Tvs and Mirrors and Neon...could fit, but not really my style.
If i did any sound, it'd probably just be engine noise, maybe airbag noise on ride height change. Dunno if anybody even does sound for air-cooled, or turbo air-cooled engine.

That's a slick paint scheme, kind of a kandy Rootbeer. That really shows off the chrome nice, should help a lot once i have paint on.

I had been thinking just do the beltline as solid chrome with the Malitow pen, but that shows pretty distinct paint seperation between 2 stripes. I'm not even sure if i want to go chrome bumpers, make them pearl white, or stay the cream they already are.

2redrovers 10-16-2018 08:42 PM

Yeah the chrome on that one would either be a twin narrow strip or a large with paint in the middle. Pretty sure I've seen the twin strips on a few real buses.

Can't say I've ever heard anybody mention a sound unit with veedub effects. The airbag sound would be cool.

If you're thinking blue/white paint then definitely do the bars in white too. I mean chrome would be fine too but would clash if left cream as is with white involved in the paint scheme.

frizzen 10-16-2018 11:28 PM

Nein! Nicht blau & weiss! Ich habst das auf Erkerfenster.

Planning on VWs Pearl White over Mouse Grey, but it depends on what i can find in rattlebombs at the store. Definately white over gray, looks classy, and not one you constantly see. (Unlike the bay-window, where something like 1/3 of all type 2s seem to be that color)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...sc&st art=420

Looks like a bit of a pain to get the masking right, but looks like either gray or red stripe on the raised part of my chrome, with white stripe under it before gray.

2redrovers 10-17-2018 03:30 AM

The red stripe would give the option of red line tyres if you wanted. The grey stripe would look fine too. Auto paint supplies have a fine line masking tape thats like a vinyl tape, would be perfect for getting your details nice. It masks with a sharp, crisp edge and curves nicely (most times).

Thank god its not blau :p
(I did remember you mentioned mouse grey earlier, just forgot)

2redrovers 10-19-2018 08:30 PM

Mouse grey?