Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Micro R/C Trux! (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   1/43 Fiat 125P 4x4 (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87835)

stub 12-12-2019 11:11 AM

1/43 Fiat 125P 4x4

9 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! Its been a long time.... Over ten years I think, since I have posted on the site.
I kind of fell out of the hobby there for awhile, but I still have all my old stuff.
I've been lurking around here and there checking out everyone's awesome builds and I've got to say, the talent around here sure has grown! You guys are building some pretty sweet rigs! Keep up the great work!

I've always wanted to have a matchbox sized 4x4, but I've never had the guts or the means to pull it off. Well, I've changed careers over the years and I am now a Journeyman Moldmaker. This has given me a ton of access and knowledge to run some pretty cool machines to make plastic injection molds.

So, needless to say that my snooping has given me the bug again to start a new project. I'm starting off with the axles since I didn"t even know if I could pull it off. Seeing all of the stuff that Sam has brought to the table has really given me some inspiration. So, using the Das87 u-joints and some small gears I found, I began designing. And, Well..... This is what I came up with..... Enjoy!

heartless 12-12-2019 04:33 PM

wow, that is pretty sweet!

mgcrawler 12-12-2019 05:54 PM

Heck ya it is! Waiting to see what your plans are for them, well done!

frizzen 12-13-2019 01:28 AM

*stares in disbelief with my jaw open*

Those look killer!!! So i'm guessing from center lug and screws they'll eventually have options to go either 3-link or leaf?

Uh, let me know if they become available. I can probably find something ZZ or Slotcar body that might need built.

I was going to mention the das87 / dasmikro stuff, but you're already aware. So thanks for not hyping everybody up about it, then saying you wanted to mold them with solder and playdough...

stub 12-13-2019 04:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:facepalm: Oh , the solder and play dough......
Unfortunately, I just don"t have the means to do any production on these. the machine time took way longer than expected and I did them over about a month in just spare time at work. Probably 4 hours of machine time total which isn't worth production at all...

They're more of a prototype/ proof of concept for my own satisfaction, however, I could really use some help finding a suitable body for them as they are slightly too big to use a hotwheels or matchbox body.

Oh, and yes, I was planning on 3-link, but a leaf setup wouldn't be out of the question.

Thought I'd throw these out there too...

Thorsteenster 12-13-2019 08:55 AM

TON and his solder Play-Doh axles was the first thing that popped to mind reading the title of this thread!
However, the urge subsided to reference when I saw the legit axles.
Nice work!
See, real materials can be used to make decent axles!

Frederik 12-13-2019 08:30 PM

Wow your axles look awesome! Crazy how small they are, yet very nicely detailed. Nice job!

stomperxj 12-14-2019 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizzen (Post 1071148)
...saying you wanted to mold them with solder and playdough...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorsteenster (Post 1071154)
TON and his solder Play-Doh axles...

TLTCRAWLER06 jokes will never die :)

Stub - Those look amazing. You might consider some 1/43 bodies as those are plentiful and have a ton of brand options. I'd love a set of those for a 1/43 Chevy Tahoe build-

frizzen 12-14-2019 05:21 PM

I'll have to pull out a dial caliper and hit some bodies to before making too many suggestions, but i think i've got some those would fit. Are you thinking more like Crawler, scale Trail, scale Stock?

stub 12-16-2019 04:29 AM

Stomper- After some research on scale sizes, I believe 1/43 would be the way to go to keep a nice scale look for such a small vehicle. I would love to do a tahoe/ suburban build, being that I drive an 08' suburban personally.
However, I have always had an interest in the more boxy style suv's. I dont want to go very conventional, like land rover, or a typical jeep. I'd want to do something a little more "out there" ..... I've been considering like a 55' jeep willys station wagon/ pickup, or like a VW "thing"... I'm too undecided right now and just trying to find "The One".

Frizzen- I'm looking to do a more scale/ trail crawler with capability. I don't want the wheels to be stupidly over sized, but I don't want it to turn out looking like a stock vehicle. I'd Like to get as true to scale as possible, but I'm not going to lie... Working in this scale is very frustrating yet satisfying all in the same. I also don't have electronics yet, which could change the whole game on body style, considering the size.

BTW... Could someone tell me how to change the title of my thread once I start an actual "build"?

jaymillz517 01-19-2020 09:10 AM

Well done, those little buggers are very nice. I had a good laugh remembering the playdoh and solder, great jokes never die.:)

stub 01-21-2020 09:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out if I want to go with leaf springs or links and shock setup with these things. I've tried making a few mounts for both applications using brass and just trying to manufacture them by hand, but have been painfully unsuccessful. Just about the time I was getting somewhere, I would hit another snag that would put me back to square one.

So, Back to the drawing board... I've never made a vehicle with leafs before, so I started checking out some pics of real, and RC trucks. I think it is going to be the easiest route, since ball ends this small just don't exist and making a suspension functional would be a p.i.t.a... so I grabbed some scrap aluminum and scrap delrin and came up with these... oh, I also made a new tierod for the steering.

Think this will work ok?

stub 01-24-2020 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I've come this far. I may as well keep going!
Chassis rails shackles and hangers...

JerryCan 01-25-2020 09:20 PM

I must say that is quite the motivator, and you have the perfect career to play.

pep

danielk 01-26-2020 05:32 PM

Jesus.