Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/index.php)
-   Car Discussion (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   VW Type 2, Split-window double cab, 1/16 (https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85591)

2redrovers 11-13-2019 04:05 AM

Hmm look familiar

If you're on Facebook, the name on the pic is building a crew cab Kombi car hauler

frizzen 11-13-2019 05:18 PM

Wow! I didn't know i was building a model of their truck, I really need some paint...

I'd forgot about how the side windows opened. I'm not sure how the thermador type swawp cooler was going to work on mine.

2redrovers 11-13-2019 06:50 PM

Kustom glass :rolleyes:

Yeah they could have asked you if they could copy your model, I mean that's just manners isn't it? :D

frizzen 11-14-2019 08:04 PM

Seeing that, I really do like the "bullet" turnsignals better than the "fisheye" ones on that real one.

Does the new suspension adjustment from the bottom of last page now make this a "Mini-Truck", or a "Lowrider", or is it something else entirely?

I *REALLY* should have gotten this truck lifted sooner... It's been a BAD influence!
After seeing my wife actually be interested in an rc car because of hydro and underglow, the lunchbox street van is probably getting hydros and sound. I bought a WPL toyota hilux pickup to be a donor for van, which would be kinda fun to have the body go mini-truckin.
Just had an old droptop 'crazy taxi' delivered.
Plus I was looking at an old RadioShack 67 impala, but they didn't get back to me yet...

2redrovers 11-15-2019 12:54 AM

Is there much difference between mini and lowrider? I'm not sure. A dub is probably not classed as a mini truck at least I doubt it would be over here... It's a veedub and that's about the main tag on it. I like what you did with it. Pretty amazed that you managed to find the space for it all in there.

The van and hilux sound like fun builds. I like a bit of low action and used to look at the hilux mini trucks in magazines. Some were really cool builds although the paint jobs were often a bit over the top.

frizzen 11-18-2019 12:33 AM

Short answer is 'not really'. The long answer starts in on asthetics, styles, wheels...

i guess your right, VW is pretty much a VW no matter what you do to it. However i still don't think anyone should accept them if they make a "volksrod" with the solid axle front end and hairpin links.

I came from much smaller rc, up to 1/10, then down to 1/14. There's often more space if you try hard enough. BUT once i get the rear 'Hydros' together i'll need to build a body lighting harness, stick underglow back on, and see if i can cram the bluetooth speaker back in the truck.

The Tradesman is gonna be cool once i can make / scrounge enough parts.
The 'crazy taxi' was trying to be a 63 impala droptop without paying for licensing, if i build a front end right it should be able to do front, side to side, 3-wheel, hop.
Not really sure what the Hilux would really even try to become, i just thought it looked kinda cool and wasn't much more than buying just axles alone.

2redrovers 11-20-2019 02:48 PM

Yeah volksrods are definitely their own thing. Not really a hot rod any more and used to be a volks. Some are cool.. Most are not.

The hopping hydros are going to be an interesting one. There's a fella on my other forum that's building a real one from an 80s Aussie fairlane. Kinda like a fox body but bigger like a crown Vic. Full hydro set up on 13" wheels. Pretty mad for an Aussie car as we didn't really do that scene much.

frizzen 12-17-2019 07:22 PM

I bought a bunch of 3mm led Lens bezels from Truescale RC back in Sept, probably should start putting them in stuff...

Also got the rear end set up pretty well squared away

Got that crunk, for yo' trunk, goin' gangsta crazy
We some real life hustlers, playin' games in the street
We got that low-ri-der, scrapin', dippin' on three

2redrovers 12-17-2019 08:33 PM

Man, that's as sweet as an everlasting gob stopper!

frizzen 12-24-2019 09:11 PM

Thanks rover, it's coming together a lot more now

It just wouldn't be Christmas without some lights!

Merry Christmas everyone

2redrovers 12-25-2019 05:32 AM

Shine on Brother, shine on

frizzen 02-08-2020 09:32 PM

Had quite a bit of fun out lowriding around the town at a meet.

The great news is i finally have enough lift on the truck to clear all of the bridge approaches and departures. I also didn't have any problems with crossing the taped down cords that were powering conveyers.

I didn't have the dragging sparks installed at any time for this one since i didn't think we'd be doing any Night Drive. We were sharing the building with Lebanon rock crawlers, Russels rc demolition derby barn, and Micro mini pullers.

2redrovers 02-11-2020 05:53 AM

Speed bumps?!.. Ha! I scoff at your speed bumps mwwahahahaha

I like the look of the red dually too, even has my mate's favourite wheels on it.

frizzen 03-25-2020 08:01 PM

Just ran across a site i may need to dig deeper into for this project. They've got a ton of stuff in many scales. 1/16 scale wheels including Fuchs, Swamp Coolers...

https://www.3dscaleparts.com

Also has some parts for the Radio Shack Lowriders. Although i'm still probably going with the jevries True 13" wheels with stretched 5.20s for that project.