View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Junkyard Obsessive

Member Number: 24499
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Junkyard Stance Sand Scorcher, Cast alloy wing mirrors

We're nearly at the point where I will stop grumbling about Tamiya stock parts and get on to something more exciting, but not quite.

The wing mirrors ! Pretty flimsy and naff looking. What would be cool is a robust, cast metal part that uses the original mirrored plastic and fitting, won't break the first time you put the shell on it's side - and one that looks a bit more, well,,, scale

Here are my plans:

Name:  01_nd_JY-S_SS_ArtWork_Wing-Mirrors_onWhite_A1.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  78.8 KB

And on the 3D Scorcher:

Name:  02_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_WingMirrors_Cam-Front-01a_wLicPlate.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  03_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_WingMirrors_Cam-Back-02_wLicPlate copy.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  78.8 KB

Before trying a cast metal part from Shapeways for the first time - it is 3D printed in a waxy resin material, which is destroyed when it is then used as the cast for the alloy part - I decided to test my prototype in another new print material - Frosted Ultra Detail:

Name:  04_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_IMG_6209.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  74.5 KB

It looked great, with superb detail, but a lot more brittle that the nylon.

The part broke the first time I put the body shell on it's side

It did, however, survive long enough to know the fit was good, and I ordered the cast alloy wing mirror - in what Shapeways call "Polished Black Steel"

Name:  05_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_IMG_7268.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  85.7 KB

The tolerances in the metal part is slightly different, with the minimum thickness going up from .7mm ( on the nylon ) to 1mm on metal parts.
The surface id also slight rough and pitted, meaning the Tamiya mirrored plastic part needed sanding round the edges to fit:

Name:  06_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_IMG_7282.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  91.6 KB

It went in with a little coaxing

Name:  07_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_IMG_7278.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  87.5 KB

I used the original rubber O ring to fasten, and although it would come loose with rough treatment, is pretty firmly fixed in place to the touch

Name:  08_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_IMG_7612.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  78.9 KB

I got quite excited at ths point, happy with the results, so "mirrored" - excuse the pun - the part in the 3D software I use, and ordered the other side !

Name:  09_Junkyard_Stance_Sand_Scorcher_IMG_7274.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  90.9 KB