Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles The place for "Semi" talk!
Tamiya and Wedico Tractor trailers!
Tamiya and other brand R/C Tanks and Tracked vehicles. And any vehicle with more than 2 axles; 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc!

Old 01-21-2020, 05:39 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

hahaha - yeah, i hear ya on the crashing bit.. I have both a plane and a small quad - the other half has a few flying things. holy cow are they a challenge.. we also have a rather large collection of wheeled RCs.

Acetone is great for gluing two ABS parts together - it melts them together, making a very strong bond - kind of like the liquid styrene glues (bondene, etc) do... the joint will end up stronger than the rest of the piece.

I am with you on the CA glues, tho.. don't use them unless i have to, lol

I am also curious as to what CAD program you are using.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:53 AM
Born FREE hyped too DEATH

Member Number: 29004

A few things:

1 Killer build, the engineering that hook took to fit the scale world is fantastic. Sure does speak volumes to the affect a computer and newer hardware. Has made for the model builder, and a scale reproduction of the full size copied.

2Thanks for the tip & link for the glue, going to use it.

3 LMAO, flying and crashes, only happens 50% of the time ...LANDING

I also like the Cross product line, just finishing up the PG4A. The kit is magnificent, did not notice when I purchased it. That it lacked an interior, NP made my own.

Very nice work & interesting
pep
Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 PM
I like to make things.

Member Number: 28889

In no particular order...

I found the same thing with the Cross stuff. Mechanically intricate, beautiful, but short on interior. Which for me was fine. I'm more into mechanical functionality guy than tremendously detail-oriented modelling (though I occasionally have fun with the little stuff, as we see.)

I found that flying led to more than 50% landings, or at least UNCOMMANDED landings. Also lots of bouncing and flopping over.

Heartless, I'm using OpenSCAD. It's not your typical draw-with-your-mouse CAD, but uses what's basically a structured programming language to describe the part(s) in question. Weird way of doing things, but for those comfortable with coding it can work really well.

This one, for instance

looks like this unrendered:

You describe the green cube as something like

color("green") cube(size=[30,87,18], center=true);

and then above and below are the thinner cubes

color("red") translate(v=[-7.5,0,-10]) cube(size=[30,66,2], center=true);
color("red") translate(v=[-7.5,0,10]) cube(size=[30,66,2], center=true);

It's actually more complicated due to the holes through the cubes. I could have made the green cube larger and just cut cube notches for the frame rails on the corners. No difference in the end result, just a matter of how to build it.

Without going into the whole thing (whole? get it?) holes or cutouts are done thus:

difference()
{
color("blue") cylinder(d=15, h=44, center=true);
cylinder(d=M4thread, h=44, center=true);
}

That's a simplified version of the blue cylinder at the top, right, 15mm dia x 44mm long cylinder with a hole down the middle to be tapped for M4. The sizing is actually unitless until it gets exported to the printer software.

Anyway, as with any CAD, if you wanna move pieces around, you just change things, in this case the code. This whole unit is called as a module from the main program (== the truck) like

translate(v=[-237,0,52]) aframecrossmember();

so shifting it back and forth along the frame is just a matter of changing the -237. 52 is the height from the ground, so all of the crossmembers are at that level to fit inside the framerails.

Obviously more intricate pieces are LOTS more complicated; Frank is a few thousand lines of code. And you have to be able to describe them as 2D or 3D geometric shapes (square/cube, circle/cylinder) or extruded ones like a torus. With patience, however, you can do quite a bit:

That took a bunch of time, but I'm fortunate to have the real Sceptre cans in my garage so I had good measurements to work from. Doing those accurately from interweb pix would have been impossible. I still fudged them, but I think they're close enough that you know what they are even though you can't read the "FUEL 20L" or "WATER 20L" labels

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 01-21-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:13 PM

thanks for the quick tutorial on OpenSCAD. =) have never tried that one, maybe I should for some things.

at least I now know who to bug if I do try it and have questions!

and yes, the cans are perfectly recognizable so nice job!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:33 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

You explained that really well. I was thinking, hey I could do that.... Until you mentioned "1000s of lines of code" lol
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Very awesome truck!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 PM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2redrovers View Post
You explained that really well. I was thinking, hey I could do that.... Until you mentioned "1000s of lines of code" lol
Well, one, I do some code by profession, so I have my own way of doing things and have learned TO COMMENT MY CODE!! just for my own sanity, so that when *I* go back and look at it, I know what I was doing. They say you should comment for the next guy to work on your code, but when the next guy is you, and you say "What was I thinking??"

Also, remember the big number is the ENTIRE truck, all the pieces you see, wheels and tires and frame and cab and all the moving bits and all the trig to make them move. I'd hate to count, but it's over a hundred parts exported to the printer because I can't / won't fab them ... but that's just my way of dealing with it. And it's the result of some years of experience. As with anything, you start small and work your way up to the more complex / larger.

Printing has its uses outside the hobbies too. We needed new hangers for the bathroom mirror, couldn't find what we wanted in the right color at the hardware store, and I think

There are various "metal" (colored plastic) filaments, so I found a copper-ish one that went with the bathroom tones (so deemed by She Who Must Be Obeyed), printed up the appropriate shape, et voila.

She also had a problem with the soapdishes sliding around. Threw together a design for a holder in OpenSCAD, let her see what it would look like, rotated it all around on the screen, and once it met with approval, printed that out too.

There's spacers on the laundry folding doors, magnetic door stops, all kinds of little fastener hardware items all over the house, done up on the printer.

Point being those are usually relatively simple geometric shapes, so they're fairly easy to design if you have a set of calipers.

There's also tons of stuff on http://www.thingiverse.com, both finished things and code to build them, give you a jump start.

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 01-26-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:56 PM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Very awesome truck!
Thanks. There's other folks here to put me to shame on the realism front, as Frank certainly isn't 100% accurate. But I'm having fun and learning both CAD and styrene skills, and hopefully it'll stimulate some good discussion here, give folks (including me!) ideas for future work.

-- A
Old 01-22-2020, 01:51 AM

Member Number: 25863

Hi Dremu,

i am from germany und from time to time i check this forum for new interested scratch builds. And this is very interesting for me, because i bulid up a Oshkosh MKR 16 with a trailer in 1:10. Sorry i don,t know how i put a picture here, but if you like here ist a link to our forum to my Oshkosh...

https://www.rockcrawler.de/thread/36...747-auflieger/

regards Markus
Old 01-22-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Printing has its uses outside the hobbies too.
oh yeah.. i have fixed several things around the house with the printers.. an articulating lamp - the swivel at the lamp head broke, also printed a new wall mount for it... hand held shower head mount... digital tv antenna mount - that one was fun to do..

I have also made parts for various things at work as well.. the possibilities are pretty much endless.

there are actual metal infused filaments as well, not just metal colored - ones that can be fired in a kiln to produce an actual metal piece. They are not exactly cheap, but the option is there. check out The Virtual Foundry for more info on that.

but back to the truck - need to see more of Frank!
Old 01-22-2020, 07:07 PM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erolan View Post
Hi Dremu,

i am from germany und from time to time i check this forum for new interested scratch builds. And this is very interesting for me, because i bulid up a Oshkosh MKR 16 with a trailer in 1:10. Sorry i don,t know how i put a picture here, but if you like here ist a link to our forum to my Oshkosh...

https://www.rockcrawler.de/thread/36...747-auflieger/

regards Markus
How did I miss yours when I was Googling for builds of Oshkosh trucks? Your work is infinitely more detailed than mine, just, wow. It's beautiful. I'm jealous of your patience and skill!

I am pleased to see that at least I had many of the same ideas you did independently, means I'm doing something right.

-- A

Last edited by dremu : 01-22-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 PM
I like to make things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartless View Post
oh yeah.. i have fixed several things around the house with the printers.. an articulating lamp - the swivel at the lamp head broke, also printed a new wall mount for it... hand held shower head mount... digital tv antenna mount - that one was fun to do..

I have also made parts for various things at work as well.. the possibilities are pretty much endless.

there are actual metal infused filaments as well, not just metal colored - ones that can be fired in a kiln to produce an actual metal piece. They are not exactly cheap, but the option is there. check out The Virtual Foundry for more info on that.

but back to the truck - need to see more of Frank!
Hmm. "Prints on any 3D printer" (as long as you switch to a stainless nozzle, prolly metal tube rather than PTFE, etc) ... although come to think, I have a spare head for the Qidi, set up for high-temp, which might be all of those things. More to read up on.

Frank's coming along, this last weekend was a 3-day holiday for me, so he got torn down for paint. Sadly he's not very photogenic in this state, looks like a naked featherless chicken, albeit in OD green.

-- A
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremu View Post
Hmm. "Prints on any 3D printer" (as long as you switch to a stainless nozzle, prolly metal tube rather than PTFE, etc) ... although come to think, I have a spare head for the Qidi, set up for high-temp, which might be all of those things. More to read up on.
print temps are basically the same as for PLA, but yeah, you would probably want at least a hardened nozzle - it could eat up a standard brass one in no time.

I got a sample of the copper (their first offering) at a Maker Faire a few years ago and tried it out (did not get it sintered, however) and it was basically pretty easy to print with, altho kind of brittle, so no hard bends going into the hotend, unless you use a warmer to preheat it a little to make it more flexible. Had to slow the speed down just a little, too - kind of like using PETG - a bit more viscous than standard PLA.

Printed a chess piece just cause.. it didnt come out too bad. Pic is straight off the printer.

My setups use an overhead spool holder, so it was no problem for me on the open frame printer, but could be for those that hang the spool off the side, or sit it next to the printer.

Quote:
Frank's coming along, this last weekend was a 3-day holiday for me, so he got torn down for paint. Sadly he's not very photogenic in this state, looks like a naked featherless chicken, albeit in OD green.

-- A

quite the imagery, lol
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2020, 09:01 AM
Hate RTR cars, these should be banned!!!!

Member Number: 448

Speaking of printers..

Which can print nylon, or what do you need to change to be able to print nylon?
Thinking of making suspension parts etc..
Old 01-23-2020, 11:51 AM

Member Number: 25863

Quote:
How did I miss yours when I was Googling for builds of Oshkosh trucks? Your work is infinitely more detailed than mine, just, wow. It's beautiful. I'm jealous of your patience and skill!

I am pleased to see that at least I had many of the same ideas you did independently, means I'm doing something right.

-- A
Hi Dremu,

yes, for me it was the same...i found only a few pictures from the Oshkosh MKR16 but a very good vektor drawing by "the blueprints database" If you like i have a few videos of the Oshkosh and my other builds on youtube... search for "erolan rc" and you will find my small channel...

bye, markus