Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 11-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Nylint Michigan-Clark T24 mobile crane 1955-56 cable machine

I didn't find my donor crane until like 3 months after giving up on finding a donor and trying to scratch build something, it takes a while to get going.

-------

I'm not having a lot of luck with finding good looking donor toys, so i thought some printable plans for scratchbuilds might help. I'm thinking scale it up and build from brass.

Cranes
http://papermau.blogspot.com/2015/03...paper.html?m=1
http://www.maesei.co.jp/kids.
http://papermodelers.sk/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=3190

Wheel loader
http://zmk.kvalitne.cz/st-180.html

Last edited by frizzen : 08-13-2017 at 03:22 AM. Reason: title change
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 12-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Another Newbie

I'm thinking i want something like a Unit Crane towable crane chassis. So the Maeda crane body up in the links builds up pretty nice looking, it's 1 7/8" wide cab.

I have 2 of these nylint trucks, a dump and stake bed bed is around 5", current track width around 5.5" so not a lot of axle options. Looks like they'll either need Losi mini crawler or a 1/16 Exceed maxstone.

Plan so far is scale up paper body, cut brass, figure out electronics, make boom, rigging, dragline bucket, wonder why i didn't just buy unit crane or michigan chane in first place...
Convert dump truck to rc, probably convert stake bed to bigger dump truck.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Another Newbie

Scaling up a bit, that size crane house just might work.

Shouldn't have to put wide load flags on it for transport...
[ pic deleted ]

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Photobutt sucks
Old 01-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 15145

This should be cool. Ive have that same dump truck since i was little. Be neat to see it done as a crane.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Another Newbie

I cut a stainless floor, then started in on some brass sheet, got the torch out, and it was going ok...

***TOTAL Thread Derailment***

...But then i happened on what i've now learned is a 1955-56 Nylint #2200, Clark T-24 Michigan Crane in an antique store while I was waiting on a tire repair for my real car... $40 later i've got a crane thats not rigged and doesnt have the clamshell! This has much more room for stuff in the crane house than what i was planning. Also this first model has the best steering and rear suspension setup of the michigan cranes.
http://www.tnttoytrucks.com/NYCONDiggers.html

So I throw a little string, pick up some carriage bolts to replace mismatched outrigger hardwear, that's where we are now. I've seen a guy on youtube with one of these running a dragline

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Photobutt sucks
Old 02-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Another Newbie

Oops, ya broke it

I got the counterweight section lid off, cab roof, crane house seperated from truck... started getting ready to make servo mounts, cable drums.

Straightened some sheetmetal, and stuff.

If anyone follows this build, there's a new screw that shows up on the front of the counterweight section opposite the cab. Drill that hole before taking the lid off the counterweight.

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Photobutt sucks
Old 03-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Another Newbie

Cab roof off, steering wheel and support out.

Started on a drag bucket

Still fighting through making cable drums, wish i still had lathe access.

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Photobutt sucks
Old 03-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Member Number: 12364

The build is looking good your coming right along with , found this site a while back for small pulleys i may be ordering some myself for a project http://www.harbormodels.com/aerblock25.html , using some like this on my dragline they work good 3/8 size
Old 07-15-2016, 01:26 AM
Another Newbie

Copy from my other build thread somhere else. Phone not good at this.

cobble up a bucket out of stuff i had on hand to play around with the mechanics of it. Brass sheet thats too thin, and some electronics solder... BUT it's acting about like it should and once the rigging is done in chain i might be onto something. (I started before i saw the patent drawings to copy, but it should work on soft loose stuff.)

Also started setting up for hoist and crowd drum servo mounts, and working toward getting steering servo in

Then some brass stock turned into a windshield wiper and side mirror.

I really should try to get back to making drums soon so i can get back to servo mounts...

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Photobutt sucks
Old 10-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Another Newbie

After some design discussion, I got some machined pieces in the mail from a friend.

Jim, you are a badass sir.

I hacked 4 hitec HS645mg servos to continious rotation.

I then set to work trying to make brackets and figuring out where pulley rods need to go. Temperarily strung it up with some Spiderwire 65lb fishing line to make sure everything can move correctly. I think i'm on the right path. Boom and hoist are good. Crowd needs another sheeve, as would the calming line if i make a clamshell.

I started repainting Rustoleum 'marigold' yellow for a bit darker more orange Yellow look that should work better on a 1950s cable machine than the really high-viz yellow paints. I'm aiming on a "fairly new, and well cared for" look on this. I haven't picked a boom color yet, that'll be after i finish the boom extension.

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Photobutt sucks
Old 12-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Another Newbie

So finally made it to the hobby shop and got 1/8 steel rod stock held with 1/8 E-clips, 5/32 brass tube as bushing between pulley and rod..
got the boom mounted stuff pinned and e-clipped. Still have to figure out how to run the house side of boom hoist pulleys

Also i realized that the back of my cab roof has seperated spotwelds from the right side of the house so that needs cleaned up and braized.

Picked up the slewing ring gear, an Align trex 500 main gear, 162 teeth, 1/4" tall, 3.986" od. (Thanks again rvjim)

It seems to mesh ok with a servo spline mount gear i picked up several years ago. Hitech hs-645mg use C1 spline, this gear is 18 teeth, 1/8" tall, 0.426" od. I forgot if it's 32 or 48 pitch.
Gear ratio comes in at 9:1.

I got the slew ring mounted up on the truck chassis, need to grab shorter hardwear.

Brought home some aluminum extrusion to make off-side supports for the winch drums.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Another Newbie

Default George is a monkey, he can do things you can't...

I got the slew gear mounted on truck, got my 3 servo mount drilled up and ready, tried to tighten and stripped threads instead of pulling flush, made hardwear bigger, remounted the bracket lower. Then got slew servo mounted, realized 3 servo mount was now in interference, pulled it all back out. Trimmed top ear off top servo and mount so it fit where i originally wanted before i redrilled. Made another bigger mount plate for slew servo out of 0.125" aluminum between bottom of house and servo.

Grabbed a 1/2" chrome hole plug like the truck has for headlights, center drilled it for an LED, mounted that in crane cab. A bruder operator looked too professional for me learning how to run this, so i think i found someone more my speed.

Hey! Who was smokingin my crane? You set the thing on fire!

Ok it had a couple bad spotwelds and needed brazed.

Not sure if i'm going to like the size of white string, or the green fishing line better. Thoughts?

The counterweight lid and cab roof are the color i'm planning when finished. Figuring yellow with black accents and nonskid.

I've been trying to keep from chevy-ing this too badly. But there's always the fun part here's what i've got to work with here... but that's sae, these are metric, that's phillips, these are allen, that's flathead. Atleast i don't have any robertson, nazi-point, hitorque, torx...

This is my first model without an esc. Do you run a bec, or an rx pack, or full stuck pack, or?

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:56 AM
Another Newbie

Default Your build is weird, old, and toy looking

I guess i like talking to myself.

Little more progress to share now that i've got better pics... still need to go pick up more hardwear again.

Swing gear, 3mm hardwear mounted from below with slightly oversize holes so i can center gear zero if needed with house on. It took a little bit of math and dial caliper time to get the hole layout.

Swing servo under house. Installed servo in a 0.125" aluminum plate to get spacing far enough below house ring. Clearanced the servo case around swing gear, bigger spur would have helped. 4mm hardwear, installed from the top so i can adjust gear mesh with cab on.

Cable drum mount and off side support rack. Support pins are ball ends from turnbuckles, 3mm thread that was spares from my 1/16 everest. Racks mount into the window surround with 4mm hardwear. Top servo, top forward mount ear removed for clearance
Old 02-28-2017, 03:11 AM
Another Newbie

I found a RadioHack that hadn't turned into a cellphone shop yet, they thought this was a 110v power available light. Nope!

Amber beacons mean one thing... SAFETY THIRD

Got the rack mounts in, reeved the machine with paracord guts. It seems to spool pretty well.

Should be about time to start knocking rust off and make it look not as bad

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:20 AM
Another Newbie

Rustoleum decided i needed a 20 foot paintjob on the house instead of a good one. So the carrier won't get paint until i get a new can.

Picked up a Rc4wd warn hook. I wanted a hook with a safety gate so i can drop the bucket and play crane without Mr OSHA shaking my monkey-tree. I'm very happy with this. 1/10 crawler winch hook, looks about right for this 1/16-ish 24 ton crane.

Flashy light circuit is built and turns on/off with model power.
Crane house headlight i wimped out and is just switched instead of remote operable.
I may need to do a horn, or servo an operator.

Then i went through like 4 variants of risers for the boom elevation sheeves. I got a height and set of angles i think looks good. It was going to bolt to the bottom and side plates, then smoked a tap and had to mangle the parts more.

Which brings us to here

Any feedback?

Last edited by frizzen : 07-22-2017 at 02:38 AM.