Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Micro R/C Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Micro R/C Trux! Anything smaller than 1/12 scale. VMGs, Mini Z's etc!

Old 01-10-2020, 05:04 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

How are the brushfires affecting your area?
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:16 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
How are the brushfires affecting your area?
Last couple days have been OK but there's been some really bad smoke all over. Not good with Mrs being asthmatic. Visibility has been as bad as a kilometre or less at times. Thing is, we're nowhere near any fires directly but not much you can do when the smoke has made it all the way to south America now.

Might give you an idea of scale..

I'm at the pointer in the bottom left of frame, south Eastern Melbourne suburbs, fires are east and north east of Victoria and up in New South Wales. Massive amount of land burning with two huge blazes becoming one even bigger fire spanning two states.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 PM
Wasting Time'r

Smoke is back again and worse than the other day. Visibility down to about 1.2km or less than a mile. Classified as hazardous in our area and Mrs is having a bad time with it. Not supposed to be any better until tomorrow afternoon as there's absolutely no wind right now.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM
Another Newbie

That's pretty hazy.
Any chance you've got a respirator around that might fit her? Even some n95 dust masks might help filter it enough to help her a little.

Stay safe man
Old 01-16-2020, 05:12 AM
Wasting Time'r

Yeah photo doesn't show the full effect, like when you try to get a close up of the moon... never works. Anyway, it's been better, rained a bit yesterday evening but not where the fires are going on. At least it cleared the air somewhat. Best course of action is usually for her to come to the workshop with me because it does a much better job of keeping the smoke out than our drafty house. Otherwise it's at home with the aircon running. Worse case scenario I've got my painting respirator mask for that WW1 look...
Old 06-22-2020, 07:36 AM
Wasting Time'r

It's..... It's.... All for meee??

Dear little munchkin is one year old tomorrow (23rd) and thankfully we'd planned the party for yesterday as the lock down changes would have made it impossible for the family to get together. She was a little nervous and quiet around everyone at the start but her normal show off self by the end... Her favourite present? Hey Duggee of course.. Woof wooooof

I figured I'd post it here because it's becoming my everything thread over here. I haven't done any rc anything for obvious reasons... She's 78cm tall and can reach EVERYTHING... loves books and puzzles, bouncing to the cookie monster's number of the day and of course, hey duggee. Walking a few steps at a time and standing on our own like a big girl.

In other news, I'm turning my 1953 Fargo ute into a 4wd v8 with thanks to the heart and guts from a 1993 landrover discovery.

I just pulled the rear axle out of the disco tonight

Also trying to help out my home forum with some artwork for merchandise
Old 06-22-2020, 04:14 PM
Another Newbie

Good to see you again man. She's a lot more impressive than the ramp truck. Glad everybody is doing great!

4wd fargo should be a fun project, nice to see you getting to work on one of yours.

The falcon under the arch pic, i'm not feeling the Olde English looking font. I'd try to swap it for the script of the badge t-shirt below
Old 06-22-2020, 08:29 PM
Wasting Time'r

Thanks Frizz, I'm always around just nothing relevant to post up. We're all doing well although some of us are more sleep deprived than others haha... Just having a nap now after playing with all her new toys this morning.

It's only taken about 7 years to get the Fargo project really happening. It's been through a few plans and I had started doing some rust repairs when I first got it but running the business and paying the bills always end up first. They've done some things to help with jobs during the covid phase that has been a major help to us and meant that I don't have to worry about how stuff is going to get paid. I had a late model aus falcon as a donor for the "barra the world" motor swap (Australian made 4.0L straight six that's becoming popular in the states now too) but after research on what it was going to cost me to get it running and engineered, it was a lot of money for something that looked great but had no character under the bonnet. Perfect daily driver but missing something..... My favourite engine is in my name, the rover v8, and after some research and tossing around ideas and options, I've bought the donor car in the pic above. I'd originally only planned to use the motor and convert the auto gearbox to 2wd but that involved a second harder to get box plus completely tearing the transmission down to mate the parts together... Not my idea of fun or my area of expertise. So a bit more research and the dimensions aren't too far from matching, about the same in axle width just 200mm longer wheelbase on the Fargo. The real fun will be trying to get the motor/box low enough so that I can keep it as a three seater truck. I'll have to make a hump in the floor pan but hopefully a low one and keep the bench seat. Gotta be able to take munchkin for a drive.

With the designs, I forgot to make that sign part look rusty which will make it fit in better. Was limited to the fonts I had but wanted an old Gothic kinda look. Everything is hand done except the writing and I meant to give it the same rusty brown tones as the archway instead of the straight black font. The finished work is meant to be a tribute to one of the members who has passed away a couple years ago, it's one of his cars. Tried to put it together in a way that made sense to those who knew and just looked good to anyone else.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:09 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557

Congrats on surviving the 1st year! Its all downhill from here, LOL

The Fargo looks like a really fun project! very cool

Have to agree with Frizzen on the Old English font thing.. and honestly, the color has nothing to do with it.
Old English should never be used as all caps like that, it is not meant to be used that way and never was done that way, historically. Only the first letter of a word should be capitalized, the rest should be lower case. You might get away with "OZ" being both caps, but not in Falcon... just my 0.02 cents worth.
Otherwise, very nice artwork!
Old 06-25-2020, 07:20 AM
Wasting Time'r

I'll try and get some time to tweak the logo, I appreciate the feedback (I was starting to wonder as I got zip from my home forum when I posted that pic)

I'm slowly figuring out the details of the swap. Not sure if I have enough clearance between the outside of the leaf springs and the new axle brakes/hubs, 35mm(roughly 1 & 3/8") each end on the rear axle. I'd have to get creative and shift the spring hangers to the inside of the chassis which involves moving cross members as well if I need more room than that. Hopefully it's enough room.

Other general business, I make some custom parts for a local Holden vehicle, LH/LX torana (kinda like a Vega? Monza?) these are chassis extensions that I've developed to extend the front half chassis to join up with the rear suspension mounts and tie the rails to the lower diff mounts.

2mm steel plate, cut bent and welded to conform to the under side of the floor pan so that you don't have to cut through the floor as others have done. They get capping plates welded on the open face once the customer has attached them to their car. This is a set I have put on the car I'm working on, ready for capping.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:39 PM
Another Newbie

I could see the font if it was part of his Avatar and ment more that way. However without knowing the story and thinking just as a backrag or toolbox sticker for the forum, i'm not feeling it.

Those are some really complicated looking subframe connectors. I hope they stiffen up the chassis as much as you're wanting. What about another scab patch on exterior surfaces of both lower-link mounts to further tie old to new, instead of just the butt welds at bottom of existing?
Old 06-25-2020, 09:23 PM
Wasting Time'r

Yeah these rail extensions are just part of the puzzle, I'm taking the hard bit out of it for people to do the simple stuff. They're not intended to be used stand alone, rather as you said with fish plates at the joins or as I'm doing for this car, full box plates over the top of the rail from front radiator support right back to the diff mount. For that I'm using 3mm sheet fabbed to fully enclose the rail and give you a finished result of 4-5mm thick rails.

That's the way I'm going about it. Engineer seemed happy with the plans. That's the problem with aus.. Everything we diy has to be legally certified by a recognised engineer to standards that are more strict than oem designs. I don't really have an issue with it in principle because it makes things safer for all but they go overboard. Plus they keep changing the rules and moving the goal posts so it's hard to keep track and more difficult to get what you want.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:48 AM
Wasting Time'r

If you're interested in what I'm doing in the non-rc world would you like me to start a general thread for it or just carry on here?
Old 06-27-2020, 12:55 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557

lol, well.. it might be more appropriate to start a general thread for it, but whatever. =)
Old 06-28-2020, 02:56 PM
Another Newbie

It'd probably make more sence if you did a thread in the Fullsize project section. But i'm not a Mod, do what ya want.