Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 5394
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Casting parts

Hi everyone! Not exactly sure where to post up this question, this seems like the most logical place. I've been working on a replacement grill for the Hasbro 1/6th scale Jeeps for a while. I'v been designing, then 3D printing, parts for the project. Once I get a printed part to fit correctly I will make molds off of the part then make copies using a white casting resin. So far, all of the parts turns out really good.

I'm hitting a brick wall with casting the headlight lenses. The Printed parts fit nicely and the molds came out really good, it's just that every time I mix up a batch of the clear casting acrylic, the lenses never come out right. They are always cloudy of filled with tiny air bubbles which usually indicates that the resin was too cool. I always heat up the resins and the mold, before mixing and pouring but the end results are always the same.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone else has any knowledge about using 2 piece molds along with clear casting resins that could offer some pointers to me, or a better product for doing what I'm doing.

I've been using the Easy Cast clear epoxy designed for thin casts.

Last edited by BigSki : 05-26-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Too many ideas not enough time

Member Number: 16005
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

I am not sure about casting but you could make a mould and try vacuum forming with clear lexan, if you are only doing something small like that you could make the vacuum box for only a couple of dollars.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM
In the future GEESE will be rocket powered!!!

Member Number: 88

You need a degassing chamber for your resin.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 19298

I made tail lamp lenses for the little Bronco II in my avitar using easy cast. The few tips I would suggest are a consistent room temp I had the best luck around 70 degrees. Second nice smoothe molds. And finally I used a fair size plastic jar, used a tire valve sem with out the little valve and drew a light vacuum on it with a cheap plastic brake bleader from Harbor freight. It all helped but was still variable. Oh the mixing and stiring makes a huge difference as well. I can hunt up pictures of the vacuum container if needed.