Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM
kame hame haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Member Number: 863
B/S/T Feedback: (18)
Default 1 ton arbor press.

Well I picked this up to help with punching holes in spring steel.. the hand punch sucked pretty bad..
Remove the quill.

First order of business get a hole in here..

the quill would not fit in my drill press, and I had the use of a large lathe lined up but it fell threw.. So I made my lathe do the job..
First cut some metal in the kitchen.

Drill some holes mount it on the lathe

Add a Crappy vice

Drill a pilot hole

Drill a little bigger hole

Test fit the punch looks good..

Add a set screw and reinstall it all.

Test it out yep lots easier

http://nostr.net/forums/
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:50 PM

With the punch and die installed it was on to the next little tweak for the press. if you have ever used a arbor press you know leverage is key and handle position is what makes the leverage.. if the handle is at the top when you are on the work piece not good, if its at the bottom not good. You need it right above mid range..

I saw this cool mod on youtube.. The video really explains what is going on much better then the pics..

seems easy enough looks to work great..
Lower two teeth ground off.. Great

Notice handle position..

Run it up hit a couple clicks on the ratchet. better position..

Couple more clicks and handle is up top..

Only thing I did not allot for and you may notice is my set screw for the punch got bent running it up to ratchet No big deal I will just switch to a recessed set screw..

Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 PM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)

Nice find, useful easy mod.
You like the arbor press? I don't think I've heard of one before, but looks like something I could easily fit in my "shop".
Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Nice find, useful easy mod.
You like the arbor press? I don't think I've heard of one before, but looks like something I could easily fit in my "shop".
O yeah its nice..

Pick up a cheap hand held hole punch set and do the center drill mod. And you have a great punching tool.. things like spring steel are damn hard to drill, this just pops right threw them.. Honestly I would rather use this then a drill press to make holes in sheet metal to.. its fast its accurate and holes are nice and round..

You could also make things like simulated rivets on sheet metal or styrene.

Add a V shaped die and punch and you have a mini brake. (micro mark sell a vice sized brake would be very simple to adapt.)

louvers..

dimple die's..

bearing removal.

press fitting parts.

Really any simple low pressure forming or pressing operations can be done using these.. good shop tool to have..

Get the biggest one you can afford. this one was only 47 bucks at Harbor Freight.. So its not a huge investment..

Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM
The 4rd prize winner!

Damn, Harbor Freight has a 20% off code too, $50 shipped for the 1 ton.

Yeah, I've wanted a press for awhile, ton o stuff I could do with this one a helluva lot easier.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:53 AM

$50 shipped is a deal.. Its a heavy tool.. Shipping cant be cheap.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Cool stuff

I have to admit one of these would be cool in my shop, I've been wondering about weight/capacity though, would a 1 ton be enough? its not too hard to find them up to 3 tons after all(although I dread to think what shipping would be on a 3 ton press that weighs nearly 150lbs)

Oh and I dunno if its the camera or something, but is your bandsaw really pink?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon37 View Post
Cool stuff

I have to admit one of these would be cool in my shop, I've been wondering about weight/capacity though, would a 1 ton be enough? its not too hard to find them up to 3 tons after all(although I dread to think what shipping would be on a 3 ton press that weighs nearly 150lbs)

Oh and I dunno if its the camera or something, but is your bandsaw really pink?

I would rather have a 3 ton I think for most R/C base jobs this will be fine. And I really dont want to carry a 3 ton or move one around(got to be 80lb+ range). If I were to go to a larger press I think I would go with a hydraulic unit 20 ton or more..

The saw is Red.. but its a Rust shade which with the lighting and the flash looks to turn pink in photo's.. I expect over time it will fade to a shade of pink

Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 AM
The 4rd prize winner!

Looks like 1 ton is as big as you can go for arbor styles?
Harbor Freight has this too, a 6 ton "bench" press. But I'm guessing being hydraulic it wouldn't be as quick as the arbor.
I think a 6 ton would more than suffice for anything I'd do with it, even light duty non RC stuff while still easy to move.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a...ress-1666.html
Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Administrator - Professor Spoon! I have Evil Powers, and I teach! Mwuhahaha

Member Number: 16
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

well a supplier of mahcine tools in the UK "Chester UK ltd" offers a range of 1/2 1 2 and 3 ton arbour presses:

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/arbor_press.htm

they are commonly available from most tool suppliers up to 1 ton but not everywhere carries 2 and 3 ton models.

the hydraulic presses seem to be a mite overpriced for basically a bottle jack with a seperate resevoir + a cheap steel frame...so not likely to buy one of those unless I have a job that really needs it...

Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Looks like 1 ton is as big as you can go for arbor styles?
Harbor Freight has this too, a 6 ton "bench" press. But I'm guessing being hydraulic it wouldn't be as quick as the arbor.
I think a 6 ton would more than suffice for anything I'd do with it, even light duty non RC stuff while still easy to move.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a...ress-1666.html
Check out grizzly if you want a larger one.. they have 2 and 3 tons.. http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...%20press&new=1 a 2 ton is 80lbs, a 3ton is a 124.. That 6ton hydraulic press is not really quite that same thing. I dont really know what you plan on doing, but if you want a hydraulic press I would go with a floor model and at least 10 ton.. Honestly they will take up the same space and cost is close..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon37 View Post
well a supplier of mahcine tools in the UK "Chester UK ltd" offers a range of 1/2 1 2 and 3 ton arbour presses:

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/arbor_press.htm

they are commonly available from most tool suppliers up to 1 ton but not everywhere carries 2 and 3 ton models.

the hydraulic presses seem to be a mite overpriced for basically a bottle jack with a seperate resevoir + a cheap steel frame...so not likely to buy one of those unless I have a job that really needs it...

For that little 6 ton you would really need it for a specific purpose. its pretty small honestly its very limited pressure wise for what you would normally use a hydraulic press for..

Cost wise pretty much every hydraulic press is just some simple iron work and a bottle jack. Heck even pump driven ones are still just a bottle jack..

I would have one again in a minute if I had a garage with room for it.. They get allot of use in the automotive field..

Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM
DH Fab

Member Number: 1179
B/S/T Feedback: (20)

That's an awesome mod Sloppy!
I've had an arbor press sitting in the corner for years now. Used to use it for pressing valve seats in power equipment heads. Haven't touched it in years. Actually almost threw it in a yard sale last year.
I have a hand punch i use a lot, but get a headache when i have to punch a bunch of holes.
Great job
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwill View Post
That's an awesome mod Sloppy!
I've had an arbor press sitting in the corner for years now. Used to use it for pressing valve seats in power equipment heads. Haven't touched it in years. Actually almost threw it in a yard sale last year.
I have a hand punch i use a lot, but get a headache when i have to punch a bunch of holes.
Great job
Hey thanks.. I would hate to sell one at garage sale, could probably get more for it at a scrap yard.

I saw on youtube someone makes a combo punch dimple die.. looked like it would be pretty easy to duplicate using a hand punch and die.. that could really speed some things up