Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 PM
In the future GEESE will be rocket powered!!!

Member Number: 88
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

I've been thinking what kind of tools I'll need that I don't have currently, and while it doesn't amount to much, it will still be vital. I need a good jigsaw for cutting out anything with a contour like the router mount collars (the jigsaw we currently have has been dropped a few too many times to be used for anything precision) and a fairly precise drill press (my personal one is set for drilling barrel hinges, and I hate changing it over to anything else). Probably get some variation of Bosch for the jigsaw, like the JS572EN (in my opinion, this is something worth spending money on for quality), and something basic, 8 to 12 inches, and less than $200 for my drill, along with a good vice. These are tools I need irrespective of this project anyway.

I'm thinking that I may do the V-rail thing when I build my Momus. I haven't decided which way I'll go: MakerRail, OpenRail or just ordinary V-rail. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the last two, just how they're processed. The nice thing about the MakerRail is that the V profile is part of the extrusion. I just cut it to size and I'm done. However, the nice thing about the others is I can bolt them up to whatever material I want to use for my structures, like angle or channel stock, and worn rail can be replaced without a complete teardown of the machine. Plus the OpenRail is available with a hardcoat which would be nice if I used steel V-bearing sleeves. With the MakerRail I may be limited to Delrin sleeves, which may be just fine. I dunno.

The most rugged way would be to use steel plate that has the V-profile ground on the edges, but I can't do that myself, nor do I have a way of cutting the steel to length if I had it done by someone else.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
The outcast: "modern day anti-hero"

Member Number: 200
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

I am really thinking that a momus design with an aluminum 2" box chassis might be the way to go for myself.

Proud member of MtTABRA (More than Three Axles Big Rig Association)
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 AM

I am well on my way to building a modified Momus now. With the end goal of hopefully a machine that cuts aluminum (with mist cooling) more often than not with the odd wood and plastic thrown in. I am a little worried about the design not being strong enough, so I have been trying to think of ways to beef things up.

Still working on what I want my work space size to be, it's either going to be a 16x32 or 24x36. I've drawn up both options but I'll have to lock down the size pretty quick as I am ready to start cutting as all my material has come in. Wooden frames getting replaced with a welded aluminum box frame. Aluminum t-slot bed with cutting board slats. Just picked up a deWalt DW618 2.25HP router for it.

Still have to order all the bolts I'll need, and the Z screw, belts and pullleys. Drivers and motors will be the last thing I order, as I am still bouncing between Mach control or Arduino control. Mach's prolly going to win as I have a few people in town running it so I'll have support.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Sounds good. Unfortunately for me, I'm at the same place I was the last time I posted here, which is nowhere.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Theres only a couple small cuts in steel so you could just use a hacksaw. I have a buddy with a portable metal bandsaw so I am cutting mine that way. I've been told to avoid cutting them with an angle grinder running a cut off wheel.

I picked up a 80 tooth 10" saw blade for aluminum for 20 bucks, that will handle all the aluminum cuts I need to do.

If everything goes according to plan I'll be ordering everything I need to complete this project this weekend. Had a few stars align...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
I'm thinking that I may do the V-rail thing when I build my Momus. I haven't decided which way I'll go: MakerRail, OpenRail or just ordinary V-rail. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the last two, just how they're processed. The nice thing about the MakerRail is that the V profile is part of the extrusion. I just cut it to size and I'm done. However, the nice thing about the others is I can bolt them up to whatever material I want to use for my structures, like angle or channel stock, and worn rail can be replaced without a complete teardown of the machine. Plus the OpenRail is available with a hardcoat which would be nice if I used steel V-bearing sleeves. With the MakerRail I may be limited to Delrin sleeves, which may be just fine. I dunno.

The most rugged way would be to use steel plate that has the V-profile ground on the edges, but I can't do that myself, nor do I have a way of cutting the steel to length if I had it done by someone else.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 AM

Well, I'm almost back into "CNC think-about mode" again, and I may try to build my little fiddly aluminum parts in my free time between now and Thanksgiving. I need to review my plans again and see where I want to make changes, or simply just pick up the necessary materials for one phase and start building. Hoping to have a little to show in the next 30 to 45 days.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm almost back into "CNC think-about mode" again, and I may try to build my little fiddly aluminum parts in my free time between now and Thanksgiving. I need to review my plans again and see where I want to make changes, or simply just pick up the necessary materials for one phase and start building. Hoping to have a little to show in the next 30 to 45 days.
Awesome news! Can't wait to see what you accomplish...

I am just about ready to start putting the mill back together. Then I can focus on the router... I went with a 2x3 table. Material is all cut and waiting for the mill to do final drilling and cleanup. I think the only thing I still have to purchase is the material to do a t slot table.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Sounds cool. Go head and post up pics of your router when you're able.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:20 PM

Nearly a year later and nothing. 2013 proved to be a difficult year on every level and this year has matched or exceeded it, so nothing has happened on this front at all. However, this project isn't dead, just sleeping.

I've been busy with other things, one of which will fund this project. I'm purchasing a full round of ink so I can print off my plans and take them to work with me and study them. Nearly 200 pages should be quite a workout for my printer. Might have a little to show before the end of the year or beginning of the next. Here's hoping.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Nearly a year later and nothing. 2013 proved to be a difficult year on every level and this year has matched or exceeded it, so nothing has happened on this front at all. However, this project isn't dead, just sleeping.

I've been busy with other things, one of which will fund this project. I'm purchasing a full round of ink so I can print off my plans and take them to work with me and study them. Nearly 200 pages should be quite a workout for my printer. Might have a little to show before the end of the year or beginning of the next. Here's hoping.
Big projects like this have a way of taking forever and costing a fortune. Seems this year has been a rough one for everyone. But if you keep it in the back of your mind the time will come. It will just mean more when you get there...

Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM
I WILL Hijack & De-Rail your thread into uselessness!

Member Number: 128
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

I can't even imagine trying to build a CNC anything, Damn. You guys are DEDICATED for not giving up yet, I salute you!

Found a magazine & subbed to it called 'Make', it is quite the thought-provokerizing 'zine. CAUTION: "I-already-knew-that" warning! So if'n youse heard about this, solly for wastin' yer time & all.

It is all about the new 'maker' movement, i.e. people re-discovering they can do things themselves but with a big techy edge. They have articles on lots of home manufacturing stuff, & this month they mention a 6-axis CNC controller called TinyG that might be worth scoping out. https://www.synthetos.com/project/tinyg/ Even if not, the MakerShed is a phenomenal resource of parts, tuorials, atricles etc. on doing many cool things and is well worth a look if you have a few minutes. Thought this might be of interest to you Gents? Chris REC
Old 09-23-2014, 09:48 PM

^ MAKE magazine is a little tough to find up here, but I manage to get one on occasion. I totally endorse subscribing to it! It puts a lot of emphasis on 3D printing and programming more than subtractive work like a 3-axis router, but it hits that point every so often too. All of it is useful. This country needs a bit more self-reliance.

There's a woodworking magazine that has a CNC column in it every month too, and I can't remember which one it is. The place I usually get my mags quit carrying it sometime last year.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
I WILL Hijack & De-Rail your thread into uselessness!

Member Number: 128
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Make is awesome indeed, but I have problems with it. One, when I was a young spalp, 'Make' was code for 'Turds', so the title is....amusing. The other prob is that it becomes a de facto misnomer: I start looking at 1 vid online, then that links to more interesting vids, & the next thing ya know I haven't made anything that day (That's why the current wheels are taking so long. :wink: )

I'm stunned at the rapid progression of all the asst. technologies. The tool list is getting bigger- Injection molder, SLA 3D printer, CNC lathe & router, et. al. If I got 'em all today the list would simply start again. How unjust that we must make a living & that interferes with all the 'amazing' time we should be spending on fun/important stuff.... Chris REC