Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Other R/C and Misc > Static Models
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Static Models This for you static display modelers. 1/24, 1/25, 1/18, 1/43, etc static display models, kits, pre-builts, whatever. If you got it, here's your forum.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Wow! Nice! Can't wait to see the cab painted now !
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Idiot of the Month, July 2016 - Won a giveaway completely by accident!

Member Number: 20650
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

It's looking great! Chassis looks new, hard to believe the age it really is. Looking forward to seeing the cab finished.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 11517
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

beautyful model
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 19510

Hi all,

Metal working, is not the same as working polystyrene. I had to provide me with tools, welder, etc..,. to work in minimum conditions and that means time testing failures .... I confess that I have been tempted to build polystyrene new parts, I even got to do a calender with this material, but in the end, I thought that to be in line with the rest of the truck had to be metal. To do this I have provided me with a piece of galvanized iron of 0.5 mm and have begun testing.

I started with the frame of the radiator, ie the nose. I had to repeat it because of my little experience in welding. So this first phase, the construction of the engine assembly cubicle, took me several hours. Complicating the situation has entertained me another problem has appeared, which is the chassis I was the tallest of the rear axis to the front axle (13 mm), as you can see on the following pictures:

I do not know exactly which is due, because you do not remember this originally happened, but I'm talking about my memories of 60 years ago, based on the perception of a child 5 years, happy with his perfect truck.

Well, the fact is that I wanted to correct this problem and I have done down the forward attachment point of the spring on the front axle. To do this I had to build 2 pieces with saw and file it has taken me quite some time.

initial position

The new bracket is already constructed (two units). I know you will think that the hole is not properly centered. I have already noticed, but I am left with the piece as it is because I do not have the strength to give more to the file and drill and build a better one. Once in place is not bad, ha ha ha. Now I cover the hole left anterior fixation.

New fixation

Once resolved this issue I started making the engine compartment. Here shows 4 parts: The frame radiator grille and the "back" and the two side covers. Using scissors, "manual" bending, hammer and edge of the table, I managed to come up with something usable. The abbreviated process, without going through the details of making and breaking parts and repeat, this is, for lack of polishing, shaping, adjust, paint, etc, etc..

Drawing and first attempt radiator frame

The radiator frame

Manual bender table -hammer

The four pieces making up the hood

A first test I made with cardboard to check the measurements and proportions liked

The radiator frame placed

The hood itself

And the two side

Side view

I may look like a truck with a long "nose" (ha ha ha) but this is how were the L6500. See the attached plan but. Once the fenders, bumper and headlights will see how the shifting aesthetic, and will be less prominent.

Looking at the issue of the front axle, not quite like. It is better than before but the crossbow is tilted forward.

o
So I decided to build a new parts pivot point of the spring (after fixation) longer. Current Swing (short) and new (long)

Once placed everything seems correct since the spring is nearly horizontal

New rocker

Now the chassis is level

Well folks, that's it for now. I still have mine, I'll get another phase.

Greetings to all.

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-19-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 PM

Wow.....! Good job...you got a lot of patience my friend!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:37 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
Wow.....! Good job...you got a lot of patience my friend!
Thanks "Trini2DBone". Indeed, a lot of patience, but mostly because I love this job. Especially because it has a lot of sentimental value.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Hi everyone,

I know I have very abandoned the project, and took a long time without posting anything. The truth is I do not have much time, but some little thing I've done and I can not wait to tell thee.

After building the frame of the radiator, as I commented earlier, I've been looking at me and I do not just like it, and since I'm very non-conformist, I've bundled to build another more in tune with reality, drawing on the experience that I will acquiring in Metalworking.

I've also dedicated to building the Mercedes Benz star logo for both the front of the radiator as the radiator filler cap. It has taken a lot of work because, despite being small pieces, and precisely why it has been an almost precision work. I've done with rigid electrical conductor copper and also copper sheet 0.2 mm, all tin soldier. Can you see the results.

I am currently working in the cabin: giving putty so it can be painted. Then I will try to mess with the fenders, but just thinking about me coming fever, ha ha ha!.

Here are some pictures

The current frame (left) and the new frame (right)

Building the Mercedes star on the front

And now the radiator cap

The two stars together

Exploded view of the whole front of the radiator

Overviews

For now that's all. Greetings and see you soon. I hope!

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-19-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Updates! Yes!!

Looking great! Nice job on the new radiator and the star logo!

Old 09-12-2014, 06:03 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Hi all,

As you can see I took some time off work truck for various reasons. Still, something I've done and, although not much, I'll explain. Specifically, I started working the front fenders. In the process I've had many questions about how to build them: material, method, etc., and I've done several tests before deciding the final solution. In the end I decided on an aluminum sheet of 0.8 mm, which sought a corner, first giving the curvature of the wheel, after doing the "warped" side and finally giving a layer of body filler that disguises me hammering necessary to give the overall curvature and warping.

To fix the chassis I built some small appendages that fixed on the supports of the front leaf springs. I put pictures of the process. To see what you think, I hope your comments.

I have also begun to putty into the cabin after removal of old paint, as will remember, was in very poor condition

First failed attempts

In phase "hammering"

Making the peripheral bending

First results with the left fender.

The right even in flat

The left fender provisionally placed

The appendages fixing

The two fenders with mounting appendages

The fenders, fixed

Greetings and see you soon

Last edited by Rangeman : 05-19-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Member Number: 10477

Nice restoration with custom hand made parts!! Love the mercedes emblems...
Can you make me one too?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Member Number: 7246

The workmanship that went into making this originally so many year ago along with the work you are putting into the restoration is incredible. Felicidades! (congratulations) I Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Nice restoration with custom hand made parts!! Love the mercedes emblems...
Thanks for your comments "Brewster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Can you make me one too?
Ha, ha, ha!!. I would really like, but I think it would be unable to reproduce the immense work that held my father
Old 10-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos View Post
The workmanship that went into making this originally so many year ago along with the work you are putting into the restoration is incredible. Felicidades! (congratulations) I Can't wait to see it finished.
Gracias (Thanks) "Karlos". I also cant wait to finish it but I think I still have much work ahead. But with patience and perseverance everything gets
Old 10-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Member Number: 22687

Wonderfull work. I'm very surprise of how accurate you can be. And it doesn't matter the material you use it always look great. Keep going rangeman. I'll be following your progress.

Regards!
Old 05-16-2016, 05:36 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Hello everyone

After many months of inactivity (almost 2 years !!!) I have decided to reactivate the Mercedes truck project. Today I'll post the latest works, but first, I must say that I built a few months ago stirrups rise to the cabin, but not put them in the thread. So before explaining recent work, I show this part of the project.

I have to tell you that the stirrups not just like me and surely modificare attaches to the body. Later I estimate it to do.

The two guards in the process of putty. Although missing some sanding, the finish is already more regular.

Greetings and see you soon

Last edited by Rangeman : 06-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.