Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.55's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.55's Scale trucks that use 1.55" fitting tires and similar. Approx 1/10th scalers with wheels smaller than 1.9".

Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Member Number: 19766
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Project: 78' Chevy K20 Long Bed

Hey tiny truck lovers.

After losing inspiration for my Bruticus build, my girlfriend suggested I put it aside for a while and start something else. I was surprised. This is the woman who told me I could start another project until I finish Bruticus. There was two stipulation. First since I had Blazer body parts left, it has to be a Chevy. Second the paint job had to be her favorite color. Blue. NO PROBLEM!!! What I've had in my mind to build was a Chevy anyway. Just a little more factory than Bruticus. A 78' Chevy K20 long bed.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Got the rolling chassis together. Parts are:
Boom Racing LWB Trial Finder 2 chassis
Rc4wd Trail Finder 2 leaf springs
Rear leaf spring shackle mount from Shapeways
Rc4wd scale shocks 90mm front, 80mm rear
Gmade u bolt kit
Yota 2 axles
Rc4wd 1.55 Stamped Steel Beadlocks with scale hardware
SSD scale front and rear lock hubs
Rc4wd 1.55 Rock Stompers

Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

I'm liking the start! Square bodies rule!

Harry
Old 03-10-2018, 11:21 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I'm liking the start! Square bodies rule!

Harry
Thanks.

If u like square body Chevys like I do check out my Twitter page "Squarebody Central". All square bodies all the time.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Posts all the Time'r

Found a very useful YouTube video by Everyday RC on lengthening a TF2 chassis. His method worked out pretty good for me. I made the cut between the last two holes that are on top of the frame rail. Then attached the frame to the battery tray plate using the holes on either side of the cut. This lengthened the frame perfectly. I cut some pieces of brass I had laying around and used JB Weld to fill in the gap. Then I let it cure and sanded down the JB Weld. A little paint and you won't even know is there. Hopefully lol. The wheelbase is 13.59 inches. Close enough to the scaled down length of a 1:1 Chevy long bed. I'm happy with it.

Started the body. Cut it in half and added a section to the bed. Still need to be lengthened a little more but that's all for today. Mounted the body to the chassis to Chevy the ride height. Looks good to me. What do you think?
Old 03-12-2018, 05:38 AM

Member Number: 22829

Following!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Received some goodies from the mailman yesterday.

Rc4wd V8 and accessories.

Rc4wd R4 transmission

Rc4wd 35t crawler motor

Rc Channel aluminum heim joints

Rc Channel aluminum rod ends with rubber bushings

Yota 2 front axle. Needed a new one because the one I had was defective and didn't have the holes drilled all the way though to add a scale diff cover and hardware.

Put the motor and trans together and added the accessories. Added a little detail with a Sharpie pen and I put the Chevrolet emblems from the 2 kits I have on the valve covers. I'm liking it.

What you think?
Old 03-14-2018, 05:44 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 9078

Where did you get stuck on Bruticus? This will be a nice companion truck. All them shiny new parts this one will need to be a shiny blue!
The valve cover script is cool

You really need to upgrade to the K44's for a square body...if they ever come back into stock that is . I'm waiting to start on Dooley's companion Blazer but I've only got the rear diff. Oh well, eventually!
Old 03-14-2018, 05:47 AM
Wasting Time'r

...and, oh yes, subscribed!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:49 AM
Wasting Time'r

Oh boy, all these after thoughts! Don't forget to add about 1/4" in length to the bed behind the rear wheel well so it all stays in proportion!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25aniv View Post
Where did you get stuck on Bruticus? This will be a nice companion truck. All them shiny new parts this one will need to be a shiny blue!
The valve cover script is cool

You really need to upgrade to the K44's for a square body...if they ever come back into stock that is . I'm waiting to start on Dooley's companion Blazer but I've only got the rear diff. Oh well, eventually!
Quote:
...and, oh yes, subscribed!
Quote:
Oh boy, all these after thoughts! Don't forget to add about 1/4" in length to the bed behind the rear wheel well so it all stays in proportion!
Thanks for following. Didn't really get stuck on Bruticus. Just burnt out. Been working on that truck for almost 2 years with no end in sight. Especially with all I wanted to do to it. I was losing inspiration. But believe me Bruticus is not gone.

I would love to get some K44's but that's not in the budget right now. Eventually. Hopefully. If not I'm happy with the Yota 2s.

I noticed that the rear portion of the long bed is longer than the Blazer rear. I'll tackle that in the near future.

Last edited by leodcj95 : 03-17-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Not a lot of time to work on my K20 lately. Made a little progress this morning. Installed the new front axle and steering components. I really like the heim joints from RcChannel.com. Hope they perform as good as they look.

Had to find a different mounting position for the servo because of the V8 motor and I want to install a scale radiator in the future. The stock steering rod was now too long, I thought I had another steering rod in my spare part but I couldn't find it. But I stumbled across a price of threaded rod that was actually the perfect length and thread count. Whew... Life saver lol.

It's a tight fit but the body just barely fits over the servo in its new position. The only problem now is the motor sits too far back with the pulleys installed on it. I think purchasing a low profile servo and using spacers between the servo and the servo mount to push it forward more will solve that problem.

Was messing around and put one of the rubber bushing rod ends on the shock. I liked how it looked so much I going to run them like that. I want to run dual shocks up front but I'm not going to pay the price they want for the tf2 dual shock hoops. I going to make my own.

Flex is not that great but that ok because this isn't going to be a extreme rock crawler anyway. Did find one issue. Even with the limited flex I still have fender to tire contact. To fix the problem I'm just going to round out the corner of the fenders to help clearance the tire. If you notice closely they had the same problem on the 1:1 K20 in my inspiration pic.

That's all I have time for right now. So watcha think?
Old 03-18-2018, 02:51 PM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Looking good. I like the old wagon wheel and swamper combo. I would just call it a K10 though with 6 lugs lol
Old 03-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Looking good. I like the old wagon wheel and swamper combo. I would just call it a K10 though with 6 lugs lol
Rather than me changing all the K20s to K10s, I'll just say the truck has a 8 to 6 lug conversion lol. Yeah that'll work.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Posts all the Time'r

Made very small headway on the K20 today. Want to run dual 90mm shocks up front so that called for a little metal work. Fabbed up some dual shock hoops. They're ugly but functional lol. That's all for now on this slow build. Til next time. Thanks for looking.