Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 1.55's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 1.55's Scale trucks that use 1.55" fitting tires and similar. Approx 1/10th scalers with wheels smaller than 1.9".

Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default 1967 F250 build

I just want to apologize about the missing pictures through most of this thread... it is due to Photobucket deciding they no longer wanted to host pictures for 3rd party use unless one pays them an outrageous sum of money... because of that decision on their part, I decided to remove my content from their site & delete my account. I refuse to be blackmailed.

Hi all - introduced myself elsewhere - here so wont bother will that again.

Being inspired by several very talented folks here, I decided to attempt a replica of a truck I used to own - 1967 F250 - first year for the body that would last more or less thru the seventies (minor changes), last year for the motor it had in the F-series line - the 352 V8.

here is a pic of the real truck...

So anyway...the builder that inspired me most was Headquake, with his fantastic wooden creations - his 77 Ford build video is what really got the wheels turning for me.

While not a true scaler, all I had was a Redcat RS10 crawler - and planned on making the body fit that

I started by finding some good clear shots of the side and front of the right model truck and printed them out as large as I could. My printed picture wasnt quite big enough, it measured about 10-1/2 inches ctr of axle to ctr of axle - I needed 13-1/2 inches...so I scaled them up to the appropriate size by using the good old grid method, after figuring out how much bigger I needed to go - grid on the printed pic was 1" squares - the scale up size was 1-1/8" squares to get me to the right wheel base.

I then dug out some old foamcore I had laying around and made a basic mockup of the body out of that to get a feel for the size. Needless to say the big soft crawler tires looked way out of place, so after doing a little digging thru spare parts boxes, I found a set of ProLine 2.2's with tires meant for the mini revos we have...Looks much better, but still not right.

foamcore mockup with scale drawing...

After a trip to the local home improvemnt store, I came home with some 1/4 inch by 4 inch wide aspen boards and got to work.

the two side panels cut out, and beginning to add a little dimension...

and a little further...

Last edited by heartless : 07-14-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:35 PM

I also had some left over 1/4" plywood lying around, so that got used to build the hood...

Hood blank...

and the bottom side...

and starting to take shape...

Got the body glued up, and with the hood on it, it is starting to look like a truck...

A bit more progress - hood has been added to, and a grill made of styrene (temporarily taped in place)

And the beginnings of the cab...

Last edited by heartless : 01-27-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Awesome, your on your way, no going back now lol
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 PM

as you can tell, I have been working on this thing for a few days - ok, for almost 2 weeks now - lol

During that time, the other half (madkow007 - also a newbie here) found and purchased a used set of Axial scx10 axles, trans & some driveshafts for this project...WhooHoo! it wont be going on the redcat after all!

I am still going to need (and looking for...) LEAF SPRINGS! (and mounting shackles of course)
Frame/chassis I think I can handle making - nothing special, but it should work - but all that will have to wait until I can get my poor broke ($) hands on some springs...

and here is where it was at the last picture taking - cab roof mostly shaped, A-pillars in place, and really starting to look like the real thing.

Last edited by heartless : 01-27-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: (oops, forgot the last pic!)
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Tell me about it ha... waiting on taxes.... Did make a couple of scratch built ones. but its all the the little brackets and what not. better just to buy i think.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Scania Vabis:Not only a truck.. Its a way of life

Member Number: 17410

It looks really good so far;-) mounting shackles you can easily make of a 3 mm threaded rod, and the brackets you can do out of a 2mm alloy plate
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
POWERHOUSE OFFROAD

Member Number: 10058
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

If you're using a cell phone to take pictures, that's not going to work well. It looks like you're using photobucket, but the image size norm is to post in 600x800. If you aren't using a cell phone, resize your pics. We don't like to have to click on each picture to see the fullsize. Occasionally, PB glitches and the photos come through as thumbnails. Maybe that's the case. But tonight, they are super little.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 AM

I have never had a problem with the thumbnail pics. I use them for faster loading, but if you all would prefer the full size ones, I can do that.

There, all fixed.

not using the cell phone for pics, but it is an older digital camera - sometimes the come out really ice, sometimes they dont.
actually - I take that back - the first pic - the mockup one - was taken with an iphone...

Last edited by heartless : 01-27-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM

More better and great job sanding. Looking good.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 5747

looking good so far
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

First off, welcome to the board You're getting right into the spirit of things.

For leaf springs, we have some vendors that sell them, depending on how stiff you want, either RC4WD reds (soft) or Tamiya (not so much). I've also seen people make their own out of pull-start recoil springs or rake tines.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Lost in the Woods

Member Number: 10133

Nice work so far man. Glad i could inspire you to make one.
I love this era Ford for sure, i almost made the 67 grill on mine.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headquake View Post
Nice work so far man. Glad i could inspire you to make one.
I love this era Ford for sure, i almost made the 67 grill on mine.
Cool! My "inspiration" likes my work! Hi, Headquake. =)

the bump (67-72) grill would not have looked right on your dent (73-up), - you did a great job with the correct grill - the one shot of it sitting next to the little shed, it looks real.

Old Busted Hotness - thanks for the tips on spring materials. Haven't got any old metal leaf rakes around here, but I might be able to come up with a pull start recoil spring, hehehe.

Unfortunately, this project is going to be slowing down a great deal starting tomorrow evening. I have classes starting again - 5 days a week this time around (49 yr old college student - LOL) About the only free time I will have to work on it will be the weekends, and only if I don't have a ton of homework to get done...

haven't done a whole lot in the last couple of days, just a few minor things, like getting the bed rails in, and building up for the back window. Trying to work out a pattern for the windshield...that is kind of kicking my butt - good thing I have lots of card stock to play with.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
is awesome

Member Number: 15622
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Looking at it and being semi-familar with these older fords, I would have to say your wheel wells are a little small. Nice job though.:thumbsup:
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Styrene Dust

Member Number: 12146
B/S/T Feedback: (10)

Great looking build sir. Wood really suits these old trucks. Interested to see your chassis once you get to it!