Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Other R/C and Misc > R/C's For the Sea
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

R/C's For the Sea Ships, Boats, Subs! If it belongs in the water put it here!

Old 08-21-2010, 04:01 PM
FlatBrokeCustomz

Member Number: 2317
B/S/T Feedback: (11)
Default Bristol Bay re-do

stright from aquacraft she is nowhere near a seaworthy vessel.The prop is way too small,esc only offers about 20% reverse throttle which aint enough for a boat half its size.The transmitter is the biggest piece of Futaba made crap ever.Most of the electrical issues I had stock was from the Tx/Rx.As far as the cheesy deck planks(pencil marks)and poor rigging set up,its something that can be accepted due to the extremely high craftsmanship of the fiberglass hull,Vert tough and well finished.

So heres my mods so far
First was the deck planks,I wanted real staggered planks so I bought $12 of balsa 1/32"x1/4" planks and cut them in 6" planks and laid them down after removing all the cheesy deck equipment.
Next was to install a 50mm prop from my Boothbay Lobster Yatch and a modified Hpi GRU that I converted to 2:1 rather than the 7:1
Mounting a gru is a pain,the Bristol Bay has almost no hand room,Im willing to be aquacraft installs the deck last.
I replaced all the rope with Kite string,rolled up the sails and made use of the pulleys that serve as a function now.All my rigging will be replaced when work picks up.
Next was ballast and battery weight
Im running twin 6 volt 5 amp powerwheels batteries in series for 12 volts going thru an axial esc.I added about 6lbs of batteries and 2-3lbs of 1/4"x1"x6" steel flatbar.Adjusted the servo and rudder horns to get maxim steering plus added a Traxxas TQ tx/rx cause that radio will turn a servo a bit more than others will

more pics comming
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
FlatBrokeCustomz

Oh yea and shes way too fast stock and bobs arround like a toy and the smallest breeze will push her arround with sails up or down.With the new mods shes 3 times as heavy,just as fast as stock but better esc control and a huge power improvement.Plus the steering is better
I plan for a 3:1 reduction a 45mm 4 blade prop,correct rigging and staining and sealing the deck after I make winches for the sails
Old 08-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Member Number: 1
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Cool project! I wanted one of these, just never got one... lol I've never really been into boats all that much, but there's just something about scale work boats that I like.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 PM
FlatBrokeCustomz

For the price the BB cant be beat,Id recommend a used one cause your gonna toss out all the electronics anyway,lol
Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Member Number: 13266
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

is it possible to take out the original deck? or did you just glue the balsawood on the original deck
Old 10-31-2010, 04:04 PM
FlatBrokeCustomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyggi View Post
is it possible to take out the original deck? or did you just glue the balsawood on the original deck
Man I just laid my decking ontop the original deck,Its thick and tough so I seen no reason to rip it out.

theres a couple guys on rcgroups forum that ripped the deck out and they say its a pain and its not reuseable once you rip it out
Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
I've been here so long my banana's turned purple!

Member Number: 3180
B/S/T Feedback: (29)

go over to rcgroups,in the boat section,in dock talk.....look at kmot's bristol bay conversion.....its pretty sick.

heres the link!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074914
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
Man I just laid my decking ontop the original deck,Its thick and tough so I seen no reason to rip it out.

theres a couple guys on rcgroups forum that ripped the deck out and they say its a pain and its not reuseable once you rip it out
i like what you did... im planing to rebuild mine since a swan sank it a week ago lol.. ill lay down a new deck get rid of the dinky deck equipment thro in a 500motor with gears possibly new cabin and possibly a smoke generator for effect.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
FlatBrokeCustomz

Quote:
Originally Posted by twyggi View Post
i like what you did... im planing to rebuild mine since a swan sank it a week ago lol.. ill lay down a new deck get rid of the dinky deck equipment thro in a 500motor with gears possibly new cabin and possibly a smoke generator for effect.
I'm running a 2:7:1 modded hpi gear reduction unit and a 50mm 3 blade plastic prop,same stock speed but more low speed control and power,change that esc also it doesn't have enough reverse power
I also run twin 6 volt power wheels batteries for the weight,I added about 7-8 lbs of battery and steel
Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
I'm running a 2:7:1 modded hpi gear reduction unit and a 50mm 3 blade plastic prop,same stock speed but more low speed control and power,change that esc also it doesn't have enough reverse power
I also run twin 6 volt power wheels batteries for the weight,I added about 7-8 lbs of battery and steel
thats a good idea ill take a look at that i have started the rebuild today since i got bored. i started with riping everything off and sanded down/chiseled off the wood deck right down to the fiberglass i took pics of it i'll load them up more into the project.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Official Senior Citizen - Where's My Discount?

Member Number: 258

ou812: Nice job on the conversion!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:48 PM
if its clean keep it inside the box

Member Number: 22979

Bristolbay is a nice boat to modify
Im currently modifying my bb

Cut it outfor easy access and i plan on using 12v12ah gelcell battery
Old 05-28-2015, 07:44 PM

I have ou812s bb on my garage,im doing keel work for him.slowly reshaping to look like a 1900s steam tug.

Nice work on your bb too....i run 12v sla in my atlantic tug with a 3:1 50 mm 4 blade 55t motor.plenty power and speed.pulls a 500 lb payload 2 mph for 3 hours.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Do a burnout!

Member Number: 22160

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit View Post
I have ou812s bb on my garage,im doing keel work for him.slowly reshaping to look like a 1900s steam tug.

Nice work on your bb too....i run 12v sla in my atlantic tug with a 3:1 50 mm 4 blade 55t motor.plenty power and speed.pulls a 500 lb payload 2 mph for 3 hours.
I don't know boat talk but your talking a scale 500 lbs right?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duellym View Post
I don't know boat talk but your talking a scale 500 lbs right?
True 500 lbs.
My 8ft pelican bass raider,loaded with troll motor,80lb battery,my 200lb butt,and my 13 year old daughter comes to 496 lbs....roughly.