Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Other R/C and Misc > R/C's For the Sea
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

R/C's For the Sea Ships, Boats, Subs! If it belongs in the water put it here!

Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)
Default Harry builds a boat

Well no, not really. I am re-configuring a boat. First Billy Bob had this boat that he got from someone else. Then 2 Beers got it, pulled out the nitro, dropped a big 550 in it and sunk it when she went into reverse. I got it in a great trade with 2Beers a couple years ago and it has been sitting on and off my shelf until a couple days ago. I'm not a good swimmer, but I like boats, so lets see where this goes.

This is what it looked like minus the electrickity when I got it.

Here is where I take over. Out of penny pinching, I tried to hook up a little 270 motor to it and see what it would do. The drive line was in too much of a bind for the smaller motor to work properly. The flex shaft was not lined up straight as well, not to mention messing with my OCD, so I pulled it out. I found out with a lot of research that this is a Dumas Short Stuff DV-10 KIT in fiberglass. Now that that was discovered, I found out that I could get an electric drive line for it. When I realized what all came with the drive line kit, I figured out I did not need all that stuff. I ordered a new piece of 1/8" brass rod, a piece of 5/32 tubing, an Aquacraft motor coupler , a new prop, and a new Aquacraft 270 motor since it was only $7.

I dropped a new piece of brass tubing in through the modified (and centered) hole and JB welded it in place.

I also removed the propshaft holder and mounted that at the rear of the boat and not in the hull.

I gutted all of the ribs that were in there before and now I have gobs of room to place the electronics. I had just bought a new standard servo a few weeks back and I was going to return it until I found the boat. It now has a new home.

I asked what color my middle son wanted to paint it and he said red and white...

I will have to figure something out.

That's all for now.

Harry
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

So awesome to see this UN-shelfed...
Before it sunk in my hands, it sure looked sexy zooming up the canal in the water, Really had some great lines and a hint of performance.
My down fall was when I was coming back towards me and hit reverse to see what it did.
Instant back wash and flooded , and down she went with the captain at the helm....ahahaha.
Lighter should be tons better.
Eager to see more here Harry, Keep the updates coming.
I like all the changes already to the insides, Makes way more since.
More please.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Long Tall Texan

Thank you Sir! I am looking forward to seeing it scoot along. While I am waiting for the paint to dry, I decided to make an oiler tube so I can keep the shaft properly lubed I was eager to get the shaft tube in the boat, that I did not put one in yet. I am not going to yank the tube out, so I just need to make a slip on piece.

The parts needed are shown below. The left tube is what my shaft will run through. The second from left is what will keep the axle tube centered to the tube in the boat. The right tube will allow the unit to slip over the existing tube. Second from right is the oiler tube.

Drill, drill, and slot.

Solder

You can see the tube in the middle that will slide into the existing tube in the boat. This is the tube that the shaft will ride in.

The damn thing fits

Not bad for 15 minutes of work I think.

Later gator,

Harry
Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 PM
FlatBrokeCustomz

Member Number: 2317
B/S/T Feedback: (11)

I love my dumas DV-10 hulls.
My favorite has an o.s. .10 nitro,about 20-22mph and you better run a calm day.
Was a wild lil ride for sure.Id like to build another.

Don't think Dumas makes those hulls anymore.
Octura use to make tiny lil 2 blades out of beryllium or brass.Best investment ever.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Keep calm and rage quit

Member Number: 23725
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

You're making me want to dust mine off. I started a landing craft a while ago that carries two LWB 1:8 scale trucks. I should probably start a build thread.

Nice going so far!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:58 PM
Long Tall Texan

I admit that I have not been on the site in a long while and I have not touched the boat since the last post. I am hoping that the little motor will let it put around small ponds without sinking, but we will just have to see what happens. It is a really neat boat. I just need to grow the desire to build again.

Harry