Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Big Rigs, Multi axle, & Tracked Vehicles The place for "Semi" talk!
Tamiya and Wedico Tractor trailers!
Tamiya and other brand R/C Tanks and Tracked vehicles. And any vehicle with more than 2 axles; 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc!

Old 09-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Styrene apprentice

Member Number: 5663
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Got the red stripe painted and have started test printing some decals.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 09-19-2019, 01:04 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

That water tank is pretty awesome, i wonder if the lid could use stock from an O-ring repair kit or silicone rod, or fuel tubing for a gasket.
For your vent line, i might come straight up with it, then zigzag many many cm back and forth above the tank so that it won't spill easily when picked up wrong

I do not know Norway ARFF at all. I also didn't go back to look at your prototype pics.

I'm actually not all about that red stripe as it sits, it feels like it'd look more finished if 2nd door leading edge of stripe were raised so it's in line with the front and rear stripes. Maybe go even more height change with connector segment so its more of a Z or N type line. Ideally i'd suggest the cab get a solid line section.

The rest of the decals are looking good. I might size 'Royal Norwegian Air Force' up to height of the small panel its on. I also might shove the large 3 aft, and put the airport identifier code forward of that. Example my airport would make it something like 'IND 3' or 'KIND 3', although i think my real ones have the full 'Indianapolis International Airport' billboards.

It looks great, and i am in no way trying to bash any of it.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Styrene apprentice

Thank you for your thorough constructive criticism. I've been staring at reference images for 3 years and have become quite fond of this design, so it's refreshing to hear from a different perspective. You bring up some interesting points, and I greatly appreciate your input.

First, here's the real thing. My test prints are pretty close to accurate at the moment.
4x4:

6x6:

http://www.egenes.as/news.asp?id=9713&c=178&t=451

I can't speak for the designer of this livery, but I have some thoughts about how it came to be.

Stripe
The standard Scania cab has a wide indented line (there's probably a better word for it) that starts at the front corner, cuts across the door panel and ends just in front of the rear corner. When they make the crew cab, they split the cab and insert an additional door, leaving the line broken. The rear door is also a tiny bit higher up than the front one, which means the two line segments aren't quite equal.
Most Scania fire truck designs seem to fill these indentations with a contrasting color, so I'm very used to seeing them that way, and to me it makes sense to use the body features and curves when designing the livery (my favorite example of this is the Gulf McLaren F1 race car). There are however a few that pull a straight line across the side.

http://www.egenes.as/news.asp?id=14499&c=167&t=425

http://www.egenes-brannteknikk.no/ne...4&c=167&t=425#

Personally I feel that looks a bit messy on Scanias in particular, like coloring outside the lines, so keeping them away from the design seems like a better option in that case. The British emergency vehicles love to dress up in large squares (Battenburg markings) which to me looks better than a straight line.
http://www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number38342

Avinor, the agency owning and operating most civilian airports in Norway, also have a fleet of similar Scanias, but they went with a simpler design incorporating the area around the door handle instead.

http://www.rosenbauer.no/news.asp?id=13363&c=178&t=451

It's worth noting here that the Tamiya body isn't perfectly proportioned in this area. The door handles and indented lines are a bit too high up on the doors. I think it looks more balanced on the real trucks than on this model.

Text
From my trips to google image search, I'd make the claim that air force ARFFs often stick to a basic design, with a large number and maybe a "United States Air Force" or "Royal Air Force" text, without identifying their home base. I assume this helps if you have to move equipment around. Keep the cost low, just basic information. Rip off the number and slap on a new one and ship it somewhere else. I feel these Norwegian trucks fit into that pattern.
I agree the RNoAF text would fit better if it was larger (and I'm considering sizing it up a bit to make it easier to cut), but it looks like they used the same stickers for the 4x4 and 6x6 trucks, so I assume the space on the tank of the 4x4 version is the limiting factor.

Belgian air component Panther 6x6:

USAF:

RAF example:

And I absolutely love this from Finland:

Even though most of the RNoAF and Avinor ARFFs don't feature an airport identifier, the largest commercial airports have their own fleets of Rosenbauer Panthers with airport logos.

I also want to throw an honorary mention to this Scania living in Antarctica on the Troll base.
https://www.scania.com/group/en/a-fi...in-antarctica/

--

About the water tank: Doing a zig zag thing on top is a great idea! The tank ended up a few millimeters too tall, so I'm struggling to fit anything on top, but I'll see if I can use that idea somehow.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028

Thank you. Please disregard 80% of the previous post. I'm not up on military arff at all. I'm used to Oshkosh that don't really have to worry about getting reassigned to other airports until retired.
http://www.indianafiretrucks.com/Sta...?StationId=624
http://www.indianafiretrucks.com/Sta...?StationId=625

Your livery is looking almost spot on to the real one!

On the real 6x6 truck, is the hookup between roller door and first rear axle for loading water into the tank or draining?
Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Styrene apprentice

As I mentioned, I'm making a lot of assumptions, and may be completely wrong about all of them.

About the hookup, I'm not sure. I've always assumed it was for loading, but I don't think I have any photos of it in use. I should add that to my list of questions.
https://www.scania.com/group/en/wp-c...l-720x480.jpeg This photo suggests that the hookup for filling with the internal pump is behind the roller door, so the exposed one might be for direct access to the tank to fill it with external water pressure?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Styrene apprentice

Chest for the roof. Started by making a small table out of 2mm styrene, then wrapped it in Plastruct styrene tread plate. It doesn't open, but it's hollow so it can slide over the water tubing sticking out of the roof.

Started making the ladder. I was going to use precut strips for the sides and rod for the steps until I realised the total length of just the steps are more than 6 feet. Now I'm cutting strips out of 1mm styrene instead. The sides are 1x4x300mm + 2 pieces 1x2x300mm. Steps are 2 pieces of 1x3mm in 30, 36, 41, 36 mm lengths. Ladder itself is 3 elements and it rests on another element that is mounted to the roof and slides+tilts down to ground level.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Styrene apprentice

Thank you!

Ladder progress. I'm not sure how the pulley system works on the real one, so I don't know if I'll make it functional or just glue everything together.

I think I finally found the perfect water tubing for the monitor. 3mm ID, 5mm OD, 1mm wall thickness black silicone tubing. I tried 0.5mm wall thickness too, but that was way too thin and would kink at almost any bend radius. This one doesn't kink but is still very flexible and won't stress the servos.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:25 PM
Styrene apprentice

Finally found the name and enough reference material to figure out how the ladder works.
It's a Wibe Nor-Bas ladder.
http://www.wibeladders.no/globalasse...parts-list.pdf

Old 10-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Styrene apprentice

Got started on the pulley system. Still not sure if it will actually work, as there will probably be too much friction in those tiny pieces. And I'm 99% certain that the rope actually passes through one of the steps to go from the right to the left side at one point, so I might have to simplify that.
It's also one of those fun situations again where I can't paint it until it's finished, but I can't disassemble it to paint it after it's done because of interlocking pieces.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 PM
Styrene apprentice

A lot of friction, but it's working!

The people who designed this ladder are a lot smarter than me. The pulley system for the bottom/middle section has a 2:1 reduction ratio with no loose rope ends. It starts attached to the lower left of the middle section, then loops through a pulley on the upper end of the bottom section, goes down to a pulley on step 2 of the middle section, through the step to the right side, through a pulley there and up to a pulley on the top of the bottom section. Then down to a double pulley on step one of the bottom section, up to a pulley on step 2 of the middle section and back down to the double pulley on step 1 of the bottom section before it ends attached to the middle section right side.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:01 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

I like it, definitely looks the part and functionality is the icing on the cake. Well done mate. No idea how you're going to paint it either, shame you can't dye it by soaking it in something.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Styrene apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2redrovers View Post
shame you can't dye it by soaking it in something.
If it was black, that would probably be the best way of doing it without adding to the thickness and getting full coverage.
-----

Got the stickers from Stickerapp. I expected it to be printed in the US, but I'm not actually sure where they're from. I ordered them from the Scandinavian version of the web store (stickerapp.no). I got a shipping notification from USPS with a tracking number after a few days, but the tracking info only shows that a shipping label was made. Turns out that the very same day they actually arrived at my local post office in what seems like a Norwegian cardboard envelope with a different tracking number.

Quality seems very good. They're printed as a single large sticker on clear vinyl like the Tamiya decals. Neither my vernier caliper nor my digital caliper can tell a difference in thickness (0.1mm), but the Tamiya decals are much more stretchy and somehow feels thinner. The clear vinyl in the Tamiya decals are maybe a very tiny bit more clear, but it's on the order of 97% vs 99% transparency. Print quality is very good. Blacks look about 5% lighter than the Tamiya ones. Colors look like I expected. Most importantly, the size is pretty much exactly as ordered.

What I did to make them: I measured the size of the decals on the truck and on photos. I used Illustrator and made the text and numbers with the type tool, imported logos found on the internet, traced them if they weren't in vector format and modified them if they were not accurate (like adding "austria" to the Rosenbauer logo). I made the artboard 20x25 cm and added a thin border around everything to help mark the exact size. When I was happy with everything I used the stickerapp web store, selected a custom 20x25 size, imported the illustrator file and resized it so the border matched the template.

For info, 3 identical sheets cost me about 30 USD shipped.

Quality example: The smaller of the computer thingy is 14mm wide. The smallest visible text near the knife "BRANNTEKNIKK AS" is 0.7mm tall and looks good.

The Rosenbauer logo is from stickerapp. The Tamiya logo on the right is from the Tamiya decal sheet.

Tried cutting away the clear vinyl around the text.

Used a weak masking tape as transfer tape. This is my first time trying this.

Applied to the truck on the second attempt (Had to scrape off 3 letters very carefully and reattach to the tape after I accidentally touched it to the surface. It's almost straight!

Air force bird logo.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:53 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

Those look great, well worth the effort I'd say.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:51 PM

Member Number: 28889

Saw this today and thought of this build.

Kinda needs context, but I can only assume it was intentionally set up what with the accelerant on the wood. Either they were going for drama or they don't know how to use a fire extinguisher, though -- don't spray on the *flames*, people, but the *base* of the fire. Sheesh.

You may have mentioned it and I forget, but are you just doing water, or water + foam or something? I think the video above is just using soapy water for the visual effect of foam, but maybe there's something else in there.

Anyway, as always I bow to your superior styrene skills and patience. I have neither

-- A
Old 10-25-2019, 09:38 PM
Styrene apprentice

There's a lot of fun videos on that channel!
Some info about some of his builds can be found here: http://www.modellkran.de/

I've been wondering how he does the foam. It looks very nice and thick.
I've only been planning on using water. I've tested a few drops of dish washing liquid to help break up the surface tension to get a better looking stream, but I don't know if that's good for the pump. I don't have a way to add any sort of foaming agent after the pump, but I'm sure it could be done with a venturi thing like in an airbrush or something.