Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 AM
kame hame haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Member Number: 863
B/S/T Feedback: (18)
Default sherline 4000??????

I need to pick up some parts for a sherline 4000. also any problems I may encounter with this thing?? it has stepper motors built in but the wires are cut I also need the tail stock, tool block, and the motor speedcontrol..
I figure I can use a small 110v motor and a router speedcontrol to replace the 12v unit.. any problems with that theory?

I have no idea what I am gonna do with this but the price was right so now I need to know where to go next...

http://nostr.net/forums/
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 285
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

New steppers from Sherline are $75ea.

Part Number 67127

I don't see driver boxes available individually, only as kits.

If nothing else, call Sherline and ask.

http://www.sherline.com/CNCprices.htm

I have a 4000A with vertical milling column and rotary table. CNC would be nice but I didn't bother. Got all my stuff for $700.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 AM
US6 Studebaker

Member Number: 2567

I would check with Sherline for parts first before going with other replacement parts. I have used Sherline tools for many years with lots of success. Their products are not the cheapest but their quality is some of the best for what you pay. I currently have 2 of their lathes- short and long bed- and 2 of their mills-one is cnc- with almost all of their tooling for the machines. Sad to say but the cnc is not seeing much use due to computer problems. I use it more as a manual mill more than anything else right now.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
kame hame haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Member Number: 863
B/S/T Feedback: (18)

thanks guys and yeah for the price it does look like deal with them direct is the best way I will have to wait till after the first of the year to get my parts but no big deal..

http://nostr.net/forums/
Old 02-22-2009, 11:07 PM
RC Junky

Member Number: 6474
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Thumbs up Sherline Products

I have their long bed Lathe and now have 5410A mill on the way. I have always felt that for the money they're among the best. I've been very happy with the products I have gotten from Sherline as well as their service.

Last edited by Radical Rick : 03-11-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 3937

i want to get one of these so bad... a little expensive!! but worth it. lol...
Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 PM
RC Junky

Member Number: 6474
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadaveojr View Post
i want to get one of these so bad... a little expensive!! but worth it. lol...
If you want to be able to produce acurate parts then they're well worth it. In my opinion they are a little steep in price but for what you get, what they'll do and how well they do it you'll know right away where your money went especially if you've ever used a chinese cheapo. Save your money and buy a good one right from the start and you'll be happier in the long run. Now that I have one of their 5400 Mills to go with my 4400 Lathe I stay pretty busy building stuff. I can't think of any other brand that tops them in quality and functionality vs price in their size class. They are a simple design and don't have all the fancy live feeds and stuff like that but their still well worth the money. Sherline all the way for me!

If anyone is looking for Sherline machines, parts or accessories contact Lance at:

http://lineymachine.googlepages.com/

He can get you lower prices than dealing direct with Sherline. I don't know how he does it but he can always save me about 10% and the items are drop shipped quickly directly from Sherline. Liney Machine produce some pretty groovy steam engine kits too. Lance sent me one for free for buying my Mill from him plus I got free shipping on it.

Last edited by Radical Rick : 03-23-2009 at 09:43 PM.