Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 04-07-2016, 11:56 AM

Member Number: 24568
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Building a 1/10 Trophy Truck

Hello all, new to the forum, been lurking for some time...there is a ton of information here. It seems that this site is the "big" one, or main one, pertaining to this hobby.

My goal here, is to build my very own 1/10 trophy truck. I've been into trucks and off roading for years (in real life) and I just recently sold my last rig, and I am itching for more, so I'd like to build a 1/10 trophy truck...because why not? They are awesome.

Now, I have some main questions:

1 - I've found a diy build document ( https://www.docdroid.net/ecwz/cycons...e-pdf.pdf.html ) and love it, but I want to use steel, since I have a MIG welder and not a tig. I am thinking of using solid steel rod for most of the cage/chassis, and a steel plate for the base, and other misc thin sheet steel for various things down the line. Has anyone done this before?

2 - Maybe I could use stainless solid rod instead?

3 - What are some good parts source websites that I could use? Other than the few obvious ones I've come across.

I have a few more, but I think this is enough to start my discussion. All help & suggestions welcome!

P.S. - Undecided on going brushless or nitro.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Welcome to the site!

To answer few of your questions you can use steel but you will be adding more weight for every piece added, if you are set on using steel (which I understand since I also only have a mig welder) I would suggest tube like brake line tubing or the like to keep weight down but have decent strength. Few other benefits is it is avail in different lengths and diameters at almost every auto parts place, can be bent with a very simple tool that is also readily available and finally doesnt cost an arm and a leg. As for parts you can go different directions with that such as mix and matching stock parts off currently available rc's or use all custom or aftermarket parts. Rc4wd is huge go to for parts along with online places such as rpp hobby or a ebay place like dollarz hobby.

Onto the next item that is the electric vs nitro thing, I can tell you that nitro gets expensive quick and they can be temperamental to get running properly sometimes. With electric as long as you get good parts and have batteries charged you are ready to go. Biggest thing with electric is waterproofing and keeping dust out of everything.

Hope this all helps with your project but have one other question and thats if you have thought of starting with an off the shelf truck to start and modding from there? There are way too many starting trucks to list but things like the new axial trophy truck or traxxas slash 2wd or 4x4 come to mind (the slash 2wd can be converted to solid rear axle, there used to be a kit the 4x4 would be custom). The nice part of using a existing truck is off the shelf parts for repairs and also having everything needed to make it run then adding your own touch as you go.

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90050

This slash is almost the most expensive you can get but has on board audio and stability control already on it.

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...sh-4x4-oba-tsm

or 2wd brushless https://traxxas.com/products/models/.../slash-vxl-tsm it appears they no longer make the slash VXL without the TSM but should still be able to find them new in box's for sale.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 AM

Thanks you for your detailed response!

As for the materials, I am aware of brake tubing and using that method, but would steel rod be that much heavier? What is a sort of "rule of thumb" for max weight one of this rigs could be?

I've been leaning more toward electric, but the expense of batteries worries me, would I really be "saving" anything in relation to nitro? A friend of mine goes through batteries like crazy...not sure if it's poor charging habits or what, but he uses his electric slash 4x4s maybe a handful of times a year.

The Axial Yeti Trophy truck is my dream RTR...almost. The off center rear diff is a little weird but otherwise it's an amazing piece of kit. For $450 it could be had RTR with a battery. The thing that bugs me, is how most of these things come already assembled. That kills a good amount of fun for me. I stumbled upon some trophy truck builds and it drew me in immediately. The use of aluminum is great but steel rod is even easier for me.

I was NOT aware of any type of kit that made a slash 2wd a true trophy truck (solid axle). I will have to look into this.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:15 PM

Solid bar steel will weigh about double the tubing I would bet, there has to be a reason 1:1 trohpy trucks and drag cars use tubing.

Not sure why he would be going through too many batties, most of mine have lasted few years each. I think last time I bought nitro it was $24 a gallon and I would go through 1 gallon per day in two Tmaxx's, so you could buy a decent battery every 2 days at that cost.

I have been waiting for axial to release a kit form of the trophy but it hasnt happened, I think they got their fame through rtr stuff so they are sticking with it.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:25 PM
I ain't not a dorkus

Member Number: 8206
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post

I have been waiting for axial to release a kit form of the trophy but it hasnt happened, I think they got their fame through rtr stuff so they are sticking with it.

There is a kit. Early next month release.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
There is a kit. Early next month release.
Yes there is! Just saw that today! Hmmm.....
Old 04-24-2016, 05:04 PM

I kinda like the kit's body better too lol.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I kinda like the kit's body better too lol.
Same here. But that price....ouch

The RTR is much better...

But, I still want to build my own. It looks like keeping it around 7lbs total would be ok correct? I reckon I could build one with steel rod to be that weight or less....hmmmm
Old 05-01-2016, 12:00 PM

The kit is $100 less than RTR which isnt too bad but the price in general hurts lol. I would think under 10lbs would be ok if it is powerful enough and good suspension.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 9765
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Another option coming soon from losi. Looks promising....
Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 AM

Member Number: 24672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyTruck View Post
Hello all, new to the forum, been lurking for some time...there is a ton of information here. It seems that this site is the "big" one, or main one, pertaining to this hobby.

My goal here, is to build my very own 1/10 trophy truck. I've been into trucks and off roading for years (in real life) and I just recently sold my last rig, and I am itching for more, so I'd like to build a 1/10 trophy truck...because why not? They are awesome.

Now, I have some main questions:

1 - I've found a diy build document ( https://www.docdroid.net/ecwz/cycons...e-pdf.pdf.html ) and love it, but I want to use steel, since I have a MIG welder and not a tig. I am thinking of using solid steel rod for most of the cage/chassis, and a steel plate for the base, and other misc thin sheet steel for various things down the line. Has anyone done this before?

2 - Maybe I could use stainless solid rod instead?

3 - What are some good parts source websites that I could use? Other than the few obvious ones I've come across.

I have a few more, but I think this is enough to start my discussion. All help & suggestions welcome!

P.S. - Undecided on going brushless or nitro.
as far as i know solid bar steel will weigh about double the tubing because 1:1 trophy trucks and drag cars use tubing
Old 05-28-2016, 11:44 AM

Member Number: 19748
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

for brake tubing, it weighs about half of solid rod, but if you get into A513 or 4130 rolled tubing, you can get thinner wall tubing that will weigh less, and be stronger.

You'll probably be better off with brazing over welding. although Nodes are harder to join with brazing unless you can clamp all the joints at the same time.