Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Member Number: 3230
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default I now have 6 MIP Thorp hex hand tools

I have built several RC kits before and I only used the L hex wrenches from the hardware store. I would be able to complete the kit builds, but my fingers would hurt after a while. Now, I have invested a little bit of money to buy the proper tools, since I have 3 kits that are waiting for me to start and finish. I have one TLR 22SCT kit and two TLR Ten-SCTE 2.0 kits. I will certainly enjoy the builds better, using my brand new MIP Thorp hex wrenches. I only have six of them thus far, but I don't usually use the other sizes. I bought the 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, .050, 1/16", and 5/64".

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Member Number: 19995

Nice.

I just bought my very first MIP 1.5 driver a few weeks ago. I will eventually use each larger size to 'up' my Tower orders whenever neccasary to get into the next higher discount code. Ive gone threw at least a dozen hardware store variety 1.5mm allens and they all are just to soft and strip when trying to back out a stubborn grubscrew.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 6409
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

how do you like them when removing tight grubs? I have the dubro brand and the handles spin on the allen wrench when they are very tight or have lock tite on them.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 PM

Member Number: 21024

Can't get any better than MIP
Old 12-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Staring at my shelf of R/C thinking...someday!

Member Number: 299
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Best luck I have with a stubborn grub screw is to use a 1/16" driver instead. Its a tight fit, but once you have used the 1.5 mm on it a few times, its slightly worn out anyways. Once that happens I never use them again. Always start with a fresh grub screw (I buy all my hardware in bulk, so I have a few). I had MIP tools when I worked at the lhs doing repairs, nice tools.

But my $20 Dynamite set from 12 years ago is still going strong. Only one ever messed up is the 1.5 mm from dropping it off the workbench and snapped the tip at the handle. Only complaint is sometimes theyre too short. I will be re-stocking with MIP tools next time I have a workshop setup.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Idiot of the Month, July 2016 - Won a giveaway completely by accident!

Member Number: 20650
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwit View Post
Ive gone threw at least a dozen hardware store variety 1.5mm allens and they all are just to soft and strip when trying to back out a stubborn grubscrew.
I have a years-old Tamiya 1.5mm that's twisted like a candy cane, I got a new driver from the hardware store and the first screw I tried to turn rounded it off like it was made of clay That old twisted Tamiya one still bites every screw no problem

I should really invest in a nice one with a handle though, my fingers always hurt after I do any maintenance
Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 AM

Member Number: 9840

I have a bunch of MIP tools the only improvement I see is the handles get slippery. especially with old arthritic hands. I dipped the handles and the soft rubber coating is wonderful. I spend a lot less time looking for tools under the bench. Plasti-dip is what i used.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Member Number: 22055

I love my mip drivers
Old 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

Really though, how long do the tips last? I have L shaped allen wrenches that seem to last a decent amount of time, but the do round over. Can you replace the tips, or even need to?

Harry
Old 05-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Master of my domain

Member Number: 12436
B/S/T Feedback: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Really though, how long do the tips last? I have L shaped allen wrenches that seem to last a decent amount of time, but the do round over. Can you replace the tips, or even need to?

Harry
I've had mine for 4 months now and use them almost daily with no issues, and no hints of rounding on the tips. The tips can't be replaced (I'm pretty sure), but they are such a monumental step up from the L wrenches you won't believe it. I highly recommend them.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM

Member Number: 22391

we have both of those items, as well as a metal cutting bandsaw. < is awesome for splitting homemade frame rails.

both the drill press and band saw came from Harbor Freight Tools, the combo sander I think is a Ryobi...

Last edited by Old Busted Hotness : 06-30-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: removed spam link