Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 19557
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

whoohoo - it worked! LOL

I have tried subscribing to a couple and never did get notifications... ah well...i just browse around and see what everyone is up to. hehe
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM

well - completely redesigned the center part. it is now a square shaft & prints flat on the bed...
have had to make several tweaks to the base - now printing version 4.4... hoping this is the one!

version 4.3 was really close, but required a lot more filing than should be necessary.

it comes in at about 1 1/2" (40mm) at the shortest setting and just a little over 2 1/4" (about 60 mm) at full extension! and the bottom of the base is 1" square (or 10" to scale )

pics to come shortly...
Old 02-12-2015, 07:53 PM

ok kiddies - as promised - here are the pics of the final version!

there has been very little after print "touch-up" done at this point, this is pretty much how it came off the printer...

the pieces...

lowest setting....

and the highest setting...

there are 6 adjustment holes in the center piece.

a little filing and/or sanding, and it will look good!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 PM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

Wow! That looks really good! How long did it take to print ?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:46 AM

it takes about 24 minutes to print one - did a batch of two last night and that took just over 50 miutes!

really need to get the print bed replaced so I can do more at a time! LOL or bigger stuff...Oh the possibilities!

the other half says we need to take the thing apart and clean it good & regrease everything - it was starting to make a little noise on the longer print last night...

and the ABS filament is supposed to be delivered today, too... wont get here until late tho - UPS rarely gets out here to the boonies before 8 pm.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:14 AM

Well, here is yesterdays little project... an LP tank. used the white this time.

for a first run on it, it didnt come out too badly, altho there were a couple of minor issues with the filament during printing - it got a little weird in a couple of spots getting really stringy and dragging funny... note the odd indents in a couple of places...

also still had just a little bit of the black left in the extruder when I first started it, thus the kind of greyish tone in the middle... it was printed in two pieces, then snapped together.

it does need a little bit of tweaking - the top was too thin and didnt close up very well - wont hold any LP that way! LOL and it has a hole/split where the filament was acting up...

may try another run on it today...

the detail that this thing can spit out is pretty amazing - and it has a larger extruder! a smaller extruder and some fine tuning in the settings would produce some outstanding detail...

I am really enjoying the learning process on this thing - right up my alley!

oh, and for anyone interested - this took about 35 mins to print...
Old 02-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276

Add that to my want list tooooooo.
Looking good heartless.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:44 AM

LOL - thanks...

working on something functional right now -we have some pretty strong winds coming out of the NW today, and the walk-in door to the garage is a little out of whack due to frost heaving and wont latch right so the wind is blowing the darn thing open...this has happened before, and to "solve" the problem then I took the striker plate off the door frame allowing the door latch a larger hole to catch in....well, that worked ok until the wood on the abused side of the hole gave out and broke off... had to reinstall the metal striker plate when that happened...

I am now attempting to create a "filler" piece to repair the broken out section, and provide a good surface for the latch to catch against...

about a 4 inch long plate that will be screwed to the inside edge of the door frame (no trim in the garage), with a little bump out in the middle on one side to fill in the broken area of wood... will be installed with 4 screws

ideally this piece should be made of metal, but I don't have anything of the right thickness, not to mention it is flippin' cold out there!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:54 AM

Well, the last couple of days have definitely been an adventure - of the bad kind...

we got the ABS filament in Friday night & let it thaw out overnight..

Saturday morning, after I made my garage door piece, I opened up one of the rolls, and loaded it up in the printer...

ABS needs some pretty serious heat to print well - suggested temps of around 230 C (446 F) so I turned up the settings and started warming things up... it gets up to temp, and immediately shuts down! and I have lost all other controls, too!

shut it all down and restarted, hoping it was just a glitch... nope, as soon as it hits the set temperature, the whole works shuts down again...

ok, this is starting to get a little frustrating... shut it all down again, restart again, and set the temp a little lower - 220C - and start warming it up again...

Ok, so it will stay functioning at 220, but that isnt warm enough to do any printing...bumped it up to 222C... ok, that seems to be a functional temp... lets try 225C... yup, still working... 226 - that seems to be ok... 227? nope - shut down again!

so online I go looking for information... it would seem, from all the searching I did, that the max temp setting in the firmware of the printer is set too low (supposed to be 280 at least) but I have no idea (yet) of how to correct it... so - no ABS printing until I can get this figured out...

So with that in mind, I set about pulling the ABS filament out and reinstalling the PLA type that runs at lower temps. So far so good... loaded up a test piece and started printing... several layers into it I notice it is getting off center - now what? killed the print, reset everything, and tried again... nope still getting off center after the first couple of layers... WTH?

so shut it all down, let it cool down and start some serious investigation... discovered that one side was out of alignment and was causing some serious drag... and the belt that runs that axis was way overtight... had to nearly completely disassemble the darn thing to get things in working order again, and in the process discovered one of the screws that hold the one motor is so over torqued that I cant get it out to adjust the tension on the one belt... arrgh!

The other half says now he knows why he got such a good deal on the this thing - it is a pain in the backside! LOL

Sooo... the one motor now only has 2 screws holding it in place, instead of the 4 it is supposed to have, in order to get proper tension on the belt... but it does seem to be working ok... ran a test print last night and it did fine.

Now I just need to find out how to adjust the max temp setting in the firmware so that we can get it hot enough to print ABS on... Oh the joys of a new gadget!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:17 AM
'One cannot steal that which is freely given' - Trini2DBone

Member Number: 13990

Wow...glad to see that you managed to stay calm and salvage the situation! Even if it meant that you haven't yet figured out the max temp thing! Lol! I woulda made up a few new cuss words during that fiasco...! Lol!
Thanks so much for your in depth log as you move forward with this part of the hobby! I enjoy every bit of it !
Old 02-16-2015, 04:06 PM

Up hill battle no doubt. Sounds very intriguing though.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 PM

Thanks guys.

Trini - I did come up with a few good ones during all of that! LOL and beleive me, there were moments I was ready to just walk away from it and say to heck with the darn thing! I am glad you are enjoying the ride, even if it is a crazy one...

to update the saga - there is nothing I can do about the max temp thing short of upgrading a few things - new mother board and basically a new extruder... something for the somewhat near future...we have been discussing things...

But the good news is - I can use some of the ABS filament we bought after all - without upgrades... each color has its own characteristics (as does each printer it seems), and the yellow I was trying to use needs a higher temp than this poor little machine can put out... tried the purple and the white today and was able to print with both of them, altho I think the purple could stand to be just a little bit warmer... the white turned out pretty well...

Definitely takes a little fiddling with things to get it dialed in just right, and at times it can be frustrating as all get out, but when it all comes together and your 3d object starts printing nicely, it is very much worth it. it is so cool to see it build, layer by layer, right in front of you.

ABS is way more fiddly than the PLA is, but does seem to print really nice if you can get everything set right.

As for odor/fumes, i didnt really find the ABS to be too terrible, I was sitting right next to the printer as it was printing and wasnt bothered by it. PLA is almost nonexistant - to me anyway...

The big drawback to the PLA is that it will breakdown over time when exposed to the weather - time depends on the item and how it was printed (number of perimeters, how tight the layers are, etc), where the ABS would be much less affected.

I can get some really good prints out of the PLA, but... how long would they last??
Old 02-17-2015, 05:46 PM

Well, isnt that just a kick in the

Was browsing thingiverse for some small items to try printing out on the printer - still trying to get things dialed in right - and came across a 1/10 jackstand that was posted yesterday - looks an awful lot like my design - maybe not as refined, but the elements & basic shape are the same...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:685345

guess I wont be putting pictures of my personal designs up anymore...

If the person had asked, I would have happily shared the files for it, but to just have it ripped off like that just yanks my chain...
Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 AM

Ugh,,,,,,,,,,
Coincidence ?... Doubt it. Yours is still ten times better and looks right.
Do it for you and us Jo. I would still love to have some. Mostly because your name is on them. The LP tank is still to dye for also.. Can't wait to see you get this tuned up and other things made.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:00 AM

Thanks Ron.

Sorry about my little rant last night - was just so peeved...

as for doing this - yes, I plan to continue, regardless of what others do... it is fun and interesting, and at times, frustrating, LOL

Did some printing yesterday, and have come to the conclusion that using the ABS is gonna have to wait until after some upgrades. did a few test pieces to get things dialed in a little better, then decided to try printing the LP tank again (takes about an hour to do one) and about halfway thru it started to overheat - the little motors that control the printhead were actually stopping for a split second periodically - not good...

so shut it all down and will be swapping it back over to the PLA for a while. That is what I was using when I printed the first one, and it came out pretty well, I thought. The PLA runs at a lower temp (around 180C vs 205+ for ABS), and isnt as fussy as the ABS that likes to pop off the build platform if things arent warm enough...

The biggest drawback to the PLA is it will breakdown over time when exposed to the weather - altho the newer versions of this stuff seem to hold up better than the earlier versions... another issue is that it is more brittle than the ABS - thin parts could break more easily...

Biggest upgrade coming for this printer is going to be the controller board - cost is going to be around 150-175 bucks, but will give us a lot more flexibility and (hopefully) better print quality... will probably be upgrading the printhead hot parts too... cant really get it hot enough for some of the ABS (it seems different colors need different temp settings)

So while we figure out what we need to get for parts to upgrade, I will be perfecting my skills using the PLA filament...

Today will be about getting things switched back over, and re-tweaking everything...