Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 07-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Lack of Time'r

Member Number: 17327
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Sunday sand tool

This story started half a year ago when my best friend Jannik told me that he had bought a old schumacher shotgun of ebay for 25$, just like the one he used to race 25 years ago,and asked if i had some radio gear lying around he could use for it.So i gave him a 2,4 ghz set from a maverick scout i bought second hand from my LHS,and he also needed a body so i made one out of 2mm comacell,looked funny but it was to heavy for a racing truck so we adapted the scout body for it instead,and so we set of to have some fun just like when we started 30 years ago when we first met.And fun we had,Jannik with the 25 year old 25$ truck and me with my Twin Hammer ripping up the beach every sunday just like old times until the Shotgun gave up its belt ,big problem,they dont make them any more and the belt pinion dont look that great ether.So Jannik went out a bought a Twin Hammer instead and a 4000kv brushless(i only have a 3000kv in mine) to keep having fun every sunday when we meet up.This brings us to the reason for this tread,last sunday i destroyed the bearings i my front gearbox and my LHS was all out of them(restock next week)so this sunday i dont have my TH (not funny RWD)so i had to come up with something else ,so my monster beetle is being prepared for some sunday fun at the beach,but i am missing a body since the bug is used on my crawler,so out comes the funny looking homemade body adapted for the monster beetle chassis

Sure looks funny and a hour later i had made a roll cage out of some styren tubes.

The plan is to run it with my 3000kv brushless and get some more details on it(steering wheel and a seat)and some paint.
I will try to get some action pictures on sunday.

P.S The shotgun will be renovated later,we have found a place to buy a industrial belt in the right size and pitch and a pinion in aluminum.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:51 PM
Lack of Time'r

All set for sunday,got some details done and paint,the diff outdrives where more worn than i suspected,but having a box full of old tamiya stuff helps so i found some that hopefully will hold up for the day,i am ordering some new later along with some other parts for it.Here is how it turned out,not the most scale looking thing but not to bad

I will take the camera with me to the beech,hopefully we will get some action shots of it
Thanks for watching
Old 08-01-2016, 08:09 AM
Lack of Time'r

Small update.
Sadly there was no pictures taken at the beech as it was a failure,the diff did hold up for the test run in my driveway but as soon as it got in the sand it gave up,too much traction and power was simply too much for the 20+years old truck and Jannik snapped one of the pins in the front cvd on his TH so we packed up and drove home,i live 2 km from the beech so not to much time wasted there.Back in the workshop i took the brushless out and put it in my cc-01(Mickīs 4x4 bug) as it was the only car that was complete at the moment and Jannik made a new pin for his CVD,so a hour later,batteries topped we where of again and this time i got to drive all way down to the beech through the dunes and the bug looked great doing it and the 3000kv on 2s gave it the right amount of power without it being too much,down on the beech we found a good place to drive and take some pictures,it is where we normally drives,there is some small bumps the tide makes around the lifeguard tower at night and a gravel deposit in the hill side,we can get some descent air and the hill is a challenge to climb.But this time i forgot the camera on the workbench,i tried to take some with my phone but the light made them look overexposed ,the sun was coming through the skies so the whole sky is lit up,and after the first battery the rear diff gave up in the bug,so we made do with Janniks TH until he complained about the steering freezing,the original steering rack on the TH will do that when there is too much sand in it.So we packed up and drove home to have lunch and repair the cars,after lunch we started to make a bellcrank steering for Janniks TH,we made one for mine 2 weeks ago,and made plans for some grasshopper based sandrails to use instead.So the lesson learned is,never take a 20 year old car to the beech it will not survive,the diff anyways
The Sandtool will be repaired,i plan to make a solid diff for it,just like the Thorp pulling diff lock you could buy for it back in the days(at least in the states you could)we didn't get so much of those on this side of the pond,i only saw ads for them in RCCA,but that will first be next week when im back at work so i can use the lathe
Old 08-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Lack of Time'r

Update time
Last weekend i got the diff repaired,google is my friend on that one,other people have had the same problems for 20 years now and so i found the answer on the net,simply drill the outdrive on one side and tap the other with m2.5 and then simply use a 2.5x25 screw with locktide on the end, tightened just enough to allow diff movement.But not having a 25mm long 2.5mm screw i drilled and taped it to m3 instead and then i used a 3x3 pinion bolt inserted from opposite side instead of using locktide,i also locked the diff with epoxy glue.
So sunday we went to the beech to play and Jannik brought his new action camera to try and make some movie clips and get a feel for camera placement,and this time the Sand Tool held up for the job,it just poped the dogbone from time to time,no biggie just pop it back in.We made some movies of it and man did we have fun doing wheelies in the sand and jumping over stuff,it is the most fun car i have driven in years.
On the last battery i lost the dogbone completely and Jannik stripped his spur gear so we packed up and went home to see the film footage and inspect the damage,turns out that i forgot to put a o-ring in one of the out drives causing the dogbone to pop out and Janniks slippercluch was completely locked up.
The roll cage took a beating,styren tubing is not strong enough.

So i made a new one out of welding rod and added some more details to it.

So it is ready for a sunday on the beech,i still donīt have my bearings for the TH,they keep sending the wrong ones to my LHS,so this time we ordered some for a losi car instead and hope they are not mixed up at the warehouse like the vaterra ones
With any luck we should have some film and pictures tomorrow
Old 08-14-2016, 06:37 AM
Rollin' in the winnie

Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

Sounds like a good time. I used to meet up with a friend for beach running. He had a scorcher, I had a hornet and a brat. It was a lot of fun. Then he traded rc for child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 03:09 PM
Lack of Time'r

It sounds just like when we started,Jannik had a scorcher and i had a grasshopper,we didn't live near the beech then but made due with a construction site nearby,i still have both cars in the workshop.
On to the Sand Tool,i still cant get those dogbones to stay in place but this time i got to drive 1 1/2 battery before the screw that holds the diff together came lose and i popped the dogbone again.I will probably have to get a set of frog universals even though they are a bit expensive.We did however get some film of the 2 of us driving like we have stolen the cars from the action cam and the 2 cheap Chinese spy cams we bought and welcroed to the cars,Jannik is trying his hands on video editing so hopefully we have something to show soon,Jannik was away from the hobby to focus on his music,so the music side of it is going to be great
As i got to drive like a complete "Tool" the Sand Tool took some beating,a wheelie bar might be a good idea and some internal reinforcement to the body

And here is a sneak preview of Sand Tool 2

It is my original grasshopper from 1988 with some upgrades and homemade parts,the plan is to make another body for it and use that instead of the Monster beetle on the beech,it might be more durable being more simple and we couldn't kill them back then,i even drove it with a 16x1 modified and 7 cell battery and it held together.Jannik has got his brothers old grasshopper 2 that we plan to do the same to,we might have to put a 2400 kv motor in instead the 3000 kv we tried out in the MB
Old 12-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Lack of Time'r

Default Back again with more sand tools

After a long autumn with our Twin hammers it is time for a update
The sand tool havend seen much action after we got our TH modified to run on the beech(will do another thread on that later),i took the 3000kv out and put a tamiya sport tuned in to see if i could get it to hold up to the beech and it worked better but it is a old car and it shows,it is coming apart everywhere so i might have to buy a new chassis for it,so for now it sits on its shelve in the workshop.
On to version 2
I have started on some grasshopper based sand tools and here it some pictures of the progress so far

C.A.D mock up of the design ,mine on the left is going to be a sort of salt flat streamliner type of thing and Janniks on the right is inspired by a tudor hot rod.Here is the build so far

I had to make the streamliner a bit more streamlined,as i forgot to account for the suspension on the old grasshopper,the rods moves up through the chassis as it compresses and the front of the tudor is a bit bulkier than i first thought so it had to be reinforced to be strong enough,kind alike a boat deck
More to come as the weather gets worse in this part of the world,we donīt get any snow just rain and temp around 0 to 5 Celsius.
The winter will also be used to find some better action cameras for the cars as the ones we have donīt take good enough movies,they were cheap though
Thanks for watching
Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 AM
Lack of Time'r

Well the winter is almost over and i got stuck on the sand tools ,was trying to make some hidden body mounts for them but ran out of ideas,i donīt want to ruin the look by using body posts and clips on them.So to get them out on the sand we bought some lexan replica sand scorcher bodies from http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

Here they are ,ready to be mounted and painted

And here is how mine tuned out,not to bad considering that i havenīt painted a lexan body in 10 years or so,all my spray cans was dried up so i picked up some new ones from my LHS ,he has a bargain bin with discontinued lexan paint at 2$ so i bought a hand full of different colors.My airbrush colors was still good but i didīt clean the airbrush well enough when i used it last so it was all blocked up,after 2 days in paint thinner and some work with it i got it working again but i cant get it to make a even mist so i might have get a new one at some point.And i made the mistake of painting without reading the label on the can first,that red color is intended for balsa wood so it wouldīt dry properly and i had to spay some real lexan paint on it to make it safe to handle and as a result it cracked in some places.
We are painting Janniks this sunday and hopefully it will turn out better
My wife gave me a gopro for christmas but i am still trying to figure out how to edit the film we take with it so there will be some videos at some point
Old 02-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Can I have the blazer back.....

Member Number: 19276
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

I really like it.
Turned out fantastic.
Digging on the stance, color and wheel set up for sure.
An aggressive don't mess with me set up...
Nice.
I'll peek in to see what you do with the other one too.
More please.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Lack of Time'r

Finally a sunday with out rain or other obstacles,the last 3 sundays have been a disaster,well kind of,Jannik moved in to his new apartment(10 min away)
and the next two the weather was awful and Janniks hip was acting up so he had trouble walking(hopefully nothing to do with the new bed i build for him ).So finally we got to paint Janniks bug and got some radio gear in it,here it is

It is more purple than it looks at the front so we set of to the beech to try them out and they are a lot of fun just not so much in the sand,plenty of grip in the tires and enough punch in the motors(tamiya sport tunet) but the low ground clearance in the rear mend that once your got going you had to keep the power on,if you stop,you are stuck ,so long rooster tails and not so much speed. We did manage to get some film of them on some of the more flat part the beech,i just have to get around to figuring out how to use the editing software .We did bring our Twin Hammers to satisfy our need for speed,but thatīs another thread
They are now back in the workshop to get some more details,Janniks is missing the antenna and we thought they need some roof racks with a surf board on it,Jannik insists his should have a guitar complete with a marshal amp on it(he is a musician after all) so lets see what we can do
Thanks again for watching
Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Lack of Time'r

Update time
Got some headlights made and wired up and made a surf board ,just need some paint and a roof rack

And here they are with the lights on

We found a construction site nearby that was flatter than the beech to drive on last sunday and we got some batteries through them,very funny indeed ,but they bounced all over the place and was very hard to control(not impossible though) which got us thinking,where they this bad 30 years ago or are we missing something.We came to the conclusion that they where a lot heavier back then so the suspension did not kick back so much.Back then we ran 7 cell 2000mh NiCd that weight a ton, now we have 2s 2200mh LiPo in them(same as we use in our twin hammers)and mechanical speed controllers operated by standard size servos and hard bodies did not help on the scale either.So we are looking to upgrade our suspension with some new rear shocks,mine are original hornet and Janniks are from a old AYK buggy i had lying around,none of them holds oil any more and when they get dirty they start to bind
So we have ordered some cheap 75mm shocks to sort the problem out and we are trying to lock the diffs to see if we can make them handle a little bit better
We are also thinking of buying some ECX Barrages so Ver.3 might be solid axle 4wd sandtools
Thanks for watching
Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Lack of Time'r

Small update
Last sunday we went to the beech as usual with our TH to have some fun(sand paddles will do that) but around 15 min after we got there Jannik broke the diff in his TH and we decided go home and get lunch.After lunch we thought we would try out the new suspension setup on the sand tools,we have taken the third shock out for more articulation and replaced the tired old shocks with some cheap 1/12 ones from our LHS,so we went down to a nearby gravel parking lot but it proved to bumpy and Jannik lost the motor in his
,turned out it was the treads in the motor that was stiped,so back in the workshop a new was bolted in place
This time we thought that the beech might be a good idea,so we went there and man it was just the right conditions for the sand tools,it had rained for two days so the sand was hard and heavy to drive on,not a problem with a car that weigh as little as ours,so we ended up driving around for a hour and a half,great FUN

Forgot to take some pictures,only this one that seemed like the perfect foto op

The good news is that the suspension work much better now,but we did find some short comings with them after all ,we need to lock the diff as we got stock in places that a diff lock would have helped on.
The only problem with locking the diff is that the grasshopper has a floating diff so we canīt fill it with epoxy so i am thinking about making a single axle and a hub to bolt the diff gear on to
On the other hand,we have ordered some new buggies the replace them,www.modelsport.co.uk have the Kyosho nexxt in kit form cheap so we ordered a pair to be the ver.3 of the sand tool,should arrive on monday.
Thanks for watching
Old 05-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Lack of Time'r

Latest chapter in the sand tool saga
Last sunday we took the old sand tools to the beech one last time before ver.3 arrives,we did get the diff locked up,will post a pic if some one is interested and tried on some different wheels.

The rear wheels are HPI sand thrower from my TH and the front are some old grasshopper II,and man that was insanely funny,they had so much grip in the rear that we do mid acceleration wheelies,just ease it up to speed and then floor it,HUGE FUN .Did take some film with my phone but i havenīt had time to some ting with it.
Monday this arrived or rather two of it

Ver.3,i will not go in to details on building this,it is a entry level buggy so not that complicated but it is a very good quality kit with a esc and full bearing set.
This is how mine turned out,i did not want to keep it orange and white so i painted it with some chrome effect paint

It is all shiny and chromed
it seemed like a good idea but it is kind of boring maybe some more details will make better.
Took it for a test drive and some things needs changing,it needs some bigger wheels and some more power other than that it drives great.
Again thanks for watching
Old 09-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Lack of Time'r

And now the summer is almost over,it is time for a update
Ver 3. the kyosho nexxt is working great with a more power full motor,we bough some 3900 kw 4 pole brushless from www.hobbyking.com and they are working great.The only problem we had was the original spur gear,it is 48 dp and only one size is available(91 T) and the gearing is to high for the more power full motor so i made a new spur gear adapter so we can use traxxas gears from a E-Revo.

This is what it looks like.
With this we are able to run some bigger tires and the spur being 32 dp there is no need for a cover,no room for it anyway.
This is what they look like right now

The raceclaws from our TH works well on the sand and gives better ground clearance.The next thing to fix on them,is to get some more cooling for the motor and some better shocks but no hurry ,we are just going to enjoy driving them on avery sunday when the weather is up for it
On a side note,this is what the stock motor looks like after 20min and just gave up.

The metal shavings are a puzzle,all brushed motors gets packed in them at the beech and they clog them up and the motor just dies,that is why we only uses brushless motors in our sandtools.
Another thing,i donīt seem to be affected by the whole photobucket ransom affair,weird
Old 07-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Lack of Time'r

Default at long last,an update

Man it has been almost 2 years since the last update,been busy with life and other stuff,got a 3d printer so that takes a lot of my time,but we still meet up every Sunday to play on the beach with our TH and build stuff in my basement,so this spring i made a cage for my sandtool v3(kyosho nexxt) after i destroyed the original one,pulling a wheelie on the sand and hitting a rock at 40mph+.
so this is what they look like now

Mine is the green one and we are running some old kyosho sideways rear tires on custom made rims in the back,on the front we have tamiya sand blaster 915 on another set of custom made rims.We have 4230 kv motors on 2s in them and we found a newly paved parking lot to let them loose at,well that was the theory at least,the wide rear tires did not provide enough grip on pavement,was a little better on tarmac,so we switched to sand blaster all around and that worked a lot better,they actually squealed when we turned on pavement but when we hit some dirt they just pirouetted all over the place.So we found another place to driver,at our local DIY store parking lot,rough tarmac with lots of grip so we got some batteries trough them until i hit the only puddle and my rx got wet and Jannik hit a pebble and cartwheeled his,bending his cage out of shape.All in All an great Sunday with our Street-tools