Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 10264
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default CAD body design for 3D printing

Hi all,
some may know me from my addiction to 3D printing, making the Mercedes G-Wagon. There is not much going on there, but what I did in the time being was designing some more bodies in CAD, partly for me, for fun or for others. Since I did not know where to post them, I decides to put them here.

One of the first after my Mercedes was a Isuzu Trooper. It was never done in 3D printing, and I was not totally confident with the outcome, but not bad as well:

Quite some time ago I was working on a classic Range Rover, but did not get too far, still fighting with the surface modelling here. It was a different approach in design, and it did not really worked out:

Then was another version of the Mercedes coming, the SWB Station. One day I will have the family complete:

The Mercedes T1 was an interim project, the body was printed, but since then nochting much went on. Too many project, too little time....

And to complete my build one day, I needed to have the according hardtop as well:

And as a special wish I created the military version of the Mercedes as well. Not too much work with the basics already done:

Some in-between project was a VW T2. This was a wish of a fellow guy from the German forum, and this was printed in parts already, being short of finalization:

And then recently I started on a Jeep Cherokee, learning a different approach in designing, when I had some problems converting the surface geometry of the VW into solids for printing. This approach worked out pretty good, and here is the outcome. Still not finished, there were some bugs in the dimensions, but this happens a lot when only designing from pictures:

So that were the most of what I have so far....

Michael

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 AM

Member Number: 5340

I like your work on these models. What software are you using? and should I know surface modelling or basic features like extrude etc. is enough? Thank you.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Wasting Time'r

These bodies were modelled with SolidWorks. Most of them were done while evaluation the newest release, before installing it in the company.
It is indeed possible working only with solids. But as soon as you realize that even the squarest looking body is actually full of curves, and with most of the roofes especially, working with surfaces is easier. But then there is the "problem" in converting surfaces to solids again, since not every surface is working out for that. Its hard to explain, even harder in a different language than your motherlanguage.

In the end its worth a try, I started with that as well some years ago!

Michael
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM
building things' out of other things

Member Number: 9396
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Outstanding work. Its going to be amazing if and when these can be 3D printed. Pioneering the way forward
Old 02-20-2014, 05:48 AM
Where did I go?

Member Number: 13899
B/S/T Feedback: (3)

i would LOVE to own a hardbody XJ!! love your work micha
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BALL View Post
Outstanding work. Its going to be amazing if and when these can be 3D printed. Pioneering the way forward
They can be printed indeed, this is why I do the work in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
i would LOVE to own a hardbody XJ!! love your work micha
Well, you were not the only one. Which is in fact the reason why I did the Cherokee as well! I was (actually am) only confused about the versions that were out there, not being a Jeep guy. Probably I went the wrong way doing an early one, it seems that there were some guys interested in the newer edition as well. So maybe when I have the time to get on with the Jeep, I rework the design and go for the "facelifted" variant, having rounder features on the front. But still I am not totally sure if the whole body is different...

And I am not too sure if I rather make a one-part solution, or with separate parts like bumpers and lights and stuff. Opinions on that?

Michael
Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Idiot of the Month, July 2016 - Won a giveaway completely by accident!

Member Number: 20650
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micha View Post
Well, you were not the only one. Which is in fact the reason why I did the Cherokee as well! I was (actually am) only confused about the versions that were out there, not being a Jeep guy. Probably I went the wrong way doing an early one, it seems that there were some guys interested in the newer edition as well. So maybe when I have the time to get on with the Jeep, I rework the design and go for the "facelifted" variant, having rounder features on the front. But still I am not totally sure if the whole body is different...

And I am not too sure if I rather make a one-part solution, or with separate parts like bumpers and lights and stuff. Opinions on that?

Michael
I'm also glad to see a Cherokee hard body, glad you decided to go for it. It's looking really great so far. I personally like the earlier grille design better, but that's just me
I would think making parts like bumpers etc. separate would allow more detail in each part, and it might be easier to work with that way.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 528
B/S/T Feedback: (17)

Quote:

The Mercedes T1 was an interim project, the body was printed, but since then nochting much went on. Too many project, too little time....

Michael
very nice to see some varieties of new shells coming out.

I agree with dougJ, bumpers etc, do separately. As he said, it will allow more details. I also think for the person who is going to build a custom trail truck, it's possible they do not want stock styled bumpers. They would want to build custom bumpers for a winch and spare tire carrier etc.

The Mercedes T1 would be sweet in 1/14th or 1/16 scale. isn't there a way to scale all dimensions on something like that automatically? if so, how hard would it really be to rescale to 14th or 16th scale?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLy bOb View Post
very nice to see some varieties of new shells coming out.

The Mercedes T1 would be sweet in 1/14th or 1/16 scale. isn't there a way to scale all dimensions on something like that automatically? if so, how hard would it really be to rescale to 14th or 16th scale?
There is no way to scale automatically, but manually is no problem. The T1 is planned to look like that:

And it was actually printed already, but in 1/8 scale:

And its something like full scale again, so the floor and axles were scale as well:

But like so many other projects, far from being finished....

To rescale it to 1/14, I would have to check wall thickness, since this could be the only drawback: To have it in 1/8, I realized some 2+mm, so in 1/14 this would be half that much. So if there were thinner walls, printing could be a problem.

The opinion for a split up Cherokee seems to be here the same as on the other forum. So I will follow that route.

Michael
Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Where did I go?

Quote:
They can be printed indeed, this is why I do the work in the end.

Michael
micha, im glad you asked

i own a pre-update model, and my mate owns the upadate version, and they are quite often parked next to each other. i can tell you straight up the body shell is the same.

the main differences are the nosecone, the front fenders and all 4 flares, the tail gate, tail lights, and the door handles, mirrors and the layout of the front windows in the doors.

everything else is the same. so, its just the details. lol.

as was mentioned, i think if you designed it up as individual sections like a plastic model kit with optional parts, like the door handles for example, you could go either way

just a suggestion

(this person may be a little keen for a hardbody )
Old 02-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
micha, im glad you asked

i own a pre-update model, and my mate owns the upadate version, and they are quite often parked next to each other. i can tell you straight up the body shell is the same.

the main differences are the nosecone, the front fenders and all 4 flares, the tail gate, tail lights, and the door handles, mirrors and the layout of the front windows in the doors.

everything else is the same. so, its just the details. lol.

as was mentioned, i think if you designed it up as individual sections like a plastic model kit with optional parts, like the door handles for example, you could go either way

just a suggestion

(this person may be a little keen for a hardbody )
Hey, thaks for sharing this information! Keeps me from checking all the pictures and articles for differences. And makes it easier for creating both versions. Just in case anybody is interested ;-)

If the body will be like a plastic kit will be seen. One possibility would be to post each and very single part say in shapeways, so anyone could custom build his own version. The other would be to make sets, maybe one early version, one later version, both with grille, bumper,lights modelled separately but offered in the set. That would keep the number of models lower, and I think the price would be cheaper than ordering each and every part separately. But I can check that. At first the model needs to be completed, there were some differences in dimensions from model to reality. There was a guy here in Germany helping me out with some dimensions and pictures. But at the moment time is a little tight...

Michael
Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Where did I go?

any rough dollar figures for a complete body kit micha?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Wasting Time'r

Quote:
any rough dollar figures for a complete body kit micha?
Well, that depends on the scale! Its not cheap obviously, I would think in 1/10 it will be in the 350 range. Will have to upload it to shapeways, but first I should have it ready.

Maybe you can check some dimensions for me. The drawings that were available obviously wrong, in some points not even close if I see this right. Attached you find a drawing of my actual dimensions. Maybe you can PM me, so we could have mail contact as well. It would be easier to exchange files...

Michael
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Where did I go?

Sorry about the delayed reply ive been away from home. In about an hour ill find a picture I think you will be very interested in.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 AM
Where did I go?

not the pics i thought i was looking for, but this should be a good starting point as far as a chassis is concerned for the XJ.

im sure i have pics of all the exact dimensions of the body work as well. just have to find them.