Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Scale 4x4 R/C Official Regional Clubs > Scale 4x4 R/C Offical Competition Rules Committe
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Don Jugglioni: Master of the domain!

Member Number: 3
B/S/T Feedback: (1)
Default Scale Points System

Next on the agenda is the "Scale Points" system. This system will be used for scoring the "scaleness" of a particular truck. The current system is listed below.

Quote:
Scale appearance

Scale appearance points will be deducted from the final score of each event. Appearance points are listed below.

-5 Points
·Hard body (rigid construction, usually abs or polystyrene: essentially any body that is not lexan)
·Custom pick up truck bed (i.e. building a full bed from styrene on your lexan or hard body.)
·Interior detail (must have at least driver & passenger seat, dashboard, & steering wheel)
-3 Points
·Roof rack with large scale item (canoe or similar, item must be secured to rack with tie downs; no Velcro will be permitted.)
·True form bumpers installed on a lexan body. (i.e. installing a clod or blackfoot style bumper on a lexan body) *Applies only to lexan bodies, scores for each bumper.
·Leaf sprung suspension front and rear.
·Scale engine (i.e. Parma hemi)
·Tube style bed.

-1 Point
·Lights
·Driver figure (should be scale in size, in other words a 4 inch G.I. Joe figure in a 1/6 scale truck wouldn’t work)
·Leaf springs on only front or rear.
·Spare tire (must be functional)
·Winch
·Scale accessories (jerry cans, cooler, snatch straps, etc {multiples of a particular item will only score once: for example if you have 2 jerry cans you will only score for 1 jerry can})
Proud member of MtTABRA (More than Three Axles Big Rig Association)
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
kame hame haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Member Number: 863
B/S/T Feedback: (18)

Scale appearance points will be deducted from the final score of each event. Appearance points are listed below.

-5 Points
·Hard body (rigid construction, usually abs or polystyrene: essentially any body that is not lexan)
·Custom pick up truck bed (i.e. building a full dropped bed from styrene on your lexan or hard body.)
·Interior detail (must have at least driver & passenger seat, dashboard, & steering wheel)
-3 Points
·Roof rack with large scale item (canoe or similar, item must be secured to rack with tie downs; no Velcro will be permitted.)
·True form bumpers installed on a lexan body. (i.e. installing a clod or blackfoot style bumper on a lexan body) bumpers must be frame mounted scores for each bumper.
·Tube or flat bed style beds.
. EXO cage
-2 points
>roof rack
> large scale item in bed(4wheeler, dirt bike)
>custom tube work(rock sliders, brush guards,)
-1 Point
·Lights
·Driver figure (should be scale in size, in other words a 4 inch G.I. Joe figure in a 1/6 scale truck wouldn’t work)
·Leaf springs on only front or rear.
·Spare tire (must be functional and close in size to be used on the truck)
·Winch
·Scale accessories (jerry cans, cooler, snatch straps, etc {multiples of a particular item will only score once: for example if you have 2 jerry cans you will only score for 1 jerry can}) MAXX of 5 items.

**NO item can be counted more then once, (EX. drivers a hole family still gets you a -1)...***

http://nostr.net/forums/
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

I'd still like to see more than a point for a full-size spare. Especially on 2.2's that can be a huge weight penalty, usually carried up high and in the back.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 PM
The outcast: "modern day anti-hero"

Member Number: 200

These have been our thoughts on the matter. The points need to be better represented on the handicap the mod does to the vehicle. As well points should reflect the effort and time someone makes to make a better scale truck.

Placing limits on how many point are allowed in each category should limit abuse. Too many vehicles pile their beds full of accessories for more points when emphasis should be to help people want to create a more scale truck. Giving people more options within the point ranges allows more creativity.

People should have an incentive to choose performance hampering choices such as frame steering over axle steering, leaf over 4 link, in depth mods over superficial ones. It helps level out the playing field and promotes scale thinking. In the end isn't the goal to encourage scale over performance?

----

-5 Points (up to a maximum of 20 points)
·Custom pick up truck bed (i.e. building a full bed from styrene on your lexan or hard body.)
Frame mounted steering
Offroad trailer (must be towed during entire event)

-3 Points (up to a maximum of 15 points)
·Bed item with large scale item (quad, dirt bikes or similar, item must be secured with tie downs; no Velcro will be permitted.)
·True form bumpers installed on a lexan body. (Must be frame mounted, point per bumper)
·Functional winch (per winch, front or rear)
Leaf sprung suspension mounted front or rear
·Tube style bed.
Multi speed trannys (must be shifted during event)

-1 Point (up to a maximum of 10 points)
·Lights (per set: Headlights / tail lights / roof / rollbar / crawling)
·Driver / Passenger figure (should be scale in size, in other words a 4 inch G.I. Joe figure in a 1/6 scale truck wouldn’t work. 1 point per person)
·True form bumpers installed on a lexan body. (Lexan mounted, point per bumper)
·Spare tire (non functional)
·Non Functional Winch (per winch, front or rear)
·Scale accessories (jerry cans, cooler, snatch straps, etc {multiples of a particular item will only score once: for example if you have 2 jerry cans you will only score for 1 jerry can})

Last edited by outcastrc : 02-12-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcastrc View Post
These have been our thoughts on the matter. The points need to be better represented on the handicap the mod does to the vehicle. As well points should reflect the effort and time someone makes to make a better scale truck.

Placing limits on how many point are allowed in each category should limit abuse. Too many vehicles pile their beds full of accessories for more points when emphasis should be to help people want to create a more scale truck. Giving people more options within the point ranges allows more creativity.

People should have an incentive to choose performance hampering choices such as frame steering over axle steering, leaf over 4 link, in depth mods over superficial ones. It helps level out the playing field and promotes scale thinking. In the end isn't the goal to encourage scale over performance?

----

Frame mounted steering
Offroad trailer (must be towed during entire event)

·Bed item with large scale item (quad, dirt bikes or similar, item must be secured with tie downs; no Velcro will be permitted.)
·True form bumpers installed on a lexan body. (Must be frame mounted, point per bumper)
Leaf sprung suspension mounted front or rear
·Tube style bed.

·Lights (per set: Headlights / tail lights / roof / rollbar / crawling)
·Driver / Passenger figure (should be scale in size, in other words a 4 inch G.I. Joe figure in a 1/6 scale truck wouldn’t work. 1 point per person)
This set up could work.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:49 AM

The way I posted it up would maxx out at less points then the caps for each section that OC has.. I understand the sandford and son thing, but all we had to do to stop that here was cap the scale accessories section.

either way I agree we need caps on some of the points..

I do think the frame mounted bumper thing needs to apply to hard bodys as well as lexan..

also I dont see leaf springs being that big of a disadvantage to warrant 5pts, by the way there still in there for three points.

the custom bed thing what is the intent of that wording?? was that meant to reward drop beds or just any custom bed?? the tube bed line needs to include flat bed. I have people trying to get custom bed for a flat bed it is hard to argue that it is not a custom bed.... IMO a flat bed and a tube bed are so close in there real world application that they should be considered the same thing but some dont see it that way..

stu while I dont disagree with you that a 2.2 spare would be a big disadvantage.. it is also not very realistic that a truck with that size tire would even have a spare. So I dont see the point of giving a larger reward for doing something that is not realistic in the first place...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 AM

I have been in runs where a full leaf truck ends up with 300 points yet a well done 4 link only has 12... I don't think 5 points is going to kill anyone. If anything I would tend to think it should be more.

And I agree with Drem on the tire. Theres a huge weight disadvantage to running a full size spare and the points should reflect that.

To the best of our ability I honestly think the scale points need to help reflect the handicap of some of these mods and should also help people choose the higher path to scale building, rather then try to throw as many things into the bed as possible.

I would rather open up this area to an entire page of options and allow the builder the choice (within a realistic points cap yet to be determined) to choose the options that best express themselves and their abilities.

Maybe a better way to do this would be to create a list of all possible mods and then poll an agreeable point value to each one. Drop the base 5,3,1 system altogether. If a mod is worthy of say 10 points let it stand alone on its own merits. If others are only worth 1 so be it. I do however like the tiered points scheme. It allows more points to be gathered for mods worthy of generating points. So in effect the lazy person that just throws a bunch of stuff in his bed could never be able to get the points that someone that has done a ton of work would be able to get.

Oh and I forgot on my list our group also promotes multi speed trannies. Not that it should be forced on anyone but there should be a benefit (handicap) to choose to run one.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM

300 points on leafer either A they cant drive or B they cant setup a truck.. sorry dont buy it.. ran plenty of leafed trucks, saw plenty of leafed trucks win and hang with 4 links.. there not worth the maxx point that we currently have by any means.. they fall somewhere in the middle for a handicap and that is where they are now.. heck delrin leaves are not a disadvantage at all.

I agree the points should reflect disadvantages and encourage building scale trucks. but how many items can you really throw in a bed and get points for??
this is the crap that can go in a bed ·Scale accessories (jerry cans, cooler, snatch straps, etc {multiples of a particular item will only score once: for example if you have 2 jerry cans you will only score for 1 jerry can}) MAXX of 5 items. cap it at 5 like we allready do.. the only other bed junk is a spare or large scale item.. which you guys seem to think needs more of a reward.. I dont know about you but if I was gonna go drive in a real driving comp I would leave the 4 wheeler and canoe back at the camp......

the multi speed tranny can be just as much a advantage as a disadvantage.. A R22SPD really has no disadvantage, why should that be rewarded?? if your talking about Tamiya 3speeds I see your point there huge in stock form. but they can also be widdled down to a smaller better setup.. I know we cant say this multi speed deserves a reward but that one does not because it is better..

I dont think any truck should get more then a 30 point handicap.. I dont care how much we try to force "scaleness" on people, lots of them are there to drive and win. and many will build there trucks right to maxx points regardless of looks.. and they will build performance based rigs no matter how you try and fight it..

Old 02-15-2009, 11:51 PM

So we've had very little input here, I'm content to leave it unchanged unless we get some more feedback.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 AM

No one else has any input for this? I would have thought this would have been the area most likely to want change in...

Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

I'm OK with it as is. The rules won't change the way I build, and they've been easy to work with in the past. I agree with a points cap, and as for spare tires I have lots of old TC foams
Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 AM

I really thought this area would be tuff to get covered.. I think we at least need some max points set..

Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremelit View Post
I'm OK with it as is. The rules won't change the way I build, and they've been easy to work with in the past. I agree with a points cap, and as for spare tires I have lots of old TC foams
cheater..

Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 PM

I'll rewrite them and take into account both of your opinions and then see how those work.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM

·Detailed Bed (drop beds, flat beds, tube beds: should be realistic representations)
·Accurate suspension (IFS & Solid on FJCruiser, Solid front and rear on Superduty, all indy on Hummer, etc)
·Offroad trailer (must be towed during entire event)

·Functional spare tire (should be same size as being run on vehicle; i.e. no 1.9 spare on a 2.2 vehicle)

·Functional Lights (per set: Headlights / tail lights / roof / rollbar / crawling)