Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Tips, Tricks, FAQ's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tips, Tricks, FAQ's Questions about the monsters? Ask them here! Got a great "How to" post it here!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator - The forest dwelling drunken hobo. I'm ugly and stink

Member Number: 6
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Radio controlled TLT diff locker step by step build up

Well it's a long time I want to try to build an RC diff locker.
Thanks to my good friend Roby (robysoldtamiya) that own a lathe, now I can try this thing.

The idea is to have a brass collar with a couple of pins inside it.
The collar will move on the differential and the pins will go into holes in the diff locking the gear with the diff.
It seems complex, but the idea is not.

First I got a couple of new diffs...
Roby machined the diff to reduce the cone to a 10mm cylinder
pay attention to stop machining around 3 mm before the end of the cone to keep some strenght , there's not so much material there.

Then he built for me a couple of brass collar. (18mm x 5 mm with a 10mm hole)

At this point he sent me the parts
Thanks again Roby

I placed the parts into a TLT axle housing. The housing in this pic is the hlf with the bevel gear and the steering "C"
See that there's room for the collar to move on the cylinder.
On top the unlocked position.

The other hlf needs some attention since ther's no enough room for the collar to move here.

The part in the circle hit the collar and doesn't permit the movement.

Some dremel will solve the problem

Now the collar moves freely

Then I marked the points where I need holes on the collar and drilled them with 1,5 drill bit.
the holes MUST be symmetrical and exactly on the same diameter. if not the system could have some problem to work.

Marked the areas on the diff and shaved the areas where the holes will be drilled on the diff.

Drilled the holes and enlarged them to 2,5 mm.

Tapped the collar holes to M3 and screwed into a couple of those pin you get with stampede yokes. They are basically a grubscrew with a long pin on one side.

Inside view. Locked position.
The pins will go into a couple of holes in the back of the gear.

Unlocked position

Locked position

Now I have to think a system to move the collar inside the axle...

Hope you like it

www.scalersandcrawlers.it - "THE" Italian Scalers and Crawlers Board - http://rikpal.golem100.com - [email protected]

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples,then you and I will still each have one apple.
But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
G.B.Shaw

Wannabe member of MtTABRA (More than Three Axles Big Rig Association)
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 AM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)

Nice work Rik. One thing I'd suggest is making the holes in the diffs a little bigger, or even slotting them a little to help the pin slide in better, as well as rounding off the head of the pin.
With that said, if you got this far, I'm sure the operating mechanism won't be a problem!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks Thor.
I slotted the gear holes, but the holes in the diff case don't need that since the pins will remain there.
I mean the movement will be enough to lock/unlock the gear, but not enough to make the pins to get out of the diff...

www.scalersandcrawlers.it - "THE" Italian Scalers and Crawlers Board - http://rikpal.golem100.com - [email protected]

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples,then you and I will still each have one apple.
But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
G.B.Shaw

Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Staring at unfinished projects .....

Member Number: 308
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Rik, you're a genius !

Well done ! Maybe you should add another two pins so it's stronger and the lock works every 90 degrees instead of 180 (makes sense ?).

I'm sure you've seen this solution : http://www.truckmodell.com/Home/Truc...ff-sperre.html
Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 AM

I was waiting for you Lars.

I know I'm not the first to do that, but maybe a step by step could help someone
The solution you linked is the same we discuss a lot time ago

BTW there are 4 holes in the gear to let the thing engage every 90° as you suggest. I didn't thought about adding pins even

G.B.Shaw

Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikpal View Post
The solution you linked is the same we discuss a lot time ago
Yes, I remember !

With "solution" I only meant the mechanism to move the collar
Old 07-16-2008, 07:47 AM

Got it, but that way need more lathe work plus, after the drilling and tapping, there's only a thin thickness in the collar...

G.B.Shaw

Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
This is a cool custom user title

Member Number: 882

Nice work, will be watching closely
Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)

Ah ha! I was thinking the pins would come all the way out. Great design Rik!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:38 AM

Not completely mine bro

Thanks anyway

G.B.Shaw

Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikpal View Post
Got it, but that way need more lathe work plus, after the drilling and tapping, there's only a thin thickness in the collar...
Hm, then maybe something that encloses the collar like a brake caliper encloses the rotor
Old 07-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3791

I was actually working this problem too... just from the other end. I figured out a way to move the collars on a highlift axle, but not what to do from that point (which you seem to have done)... Here was my idea: First off, look how "V-Brakes" work.

So basically, create two small pivots, inside, outside, or you could even drill a small pin into the edge of each half of the axle, and notch the edge to allow movment and clearance. That pivot will represent the pivot on the seat stays, or fork of a bike. Next, I would machine the cantilever parts out of uhmw plastic, or teflon.. something slick and stiff. And add to the end of each cantilever (so the pivot hole is now in about the middle, with the control end out one way, and a throwout fork out the other) The only thing I was thinking, is the collar would be located out a little further, so that you could have a throwout fork over it, stradling the end of the collar, not the axle. The way you have it, you could make the throwout fork a hoop, and have it slide along the axle, and have a spring on the opposite side of the collar. Then you hook up a servo, and some model airplane control surface cable and housing, and run that down the the axle housing, and set up the cable pull exactly like you see on the V-brakes pictured above. you want a relativly thick cable, because you want the system to be able to push the levers apart to lock the diff. Or you could put a long could spring over the cable (where the rubber boot in the picture is) with a high enough rate to lock the diff. Many options still I guess!.

I am not good at describing concepts, so if that made NO sense to you guys, I can do it real fast in CAD and post it up here.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
just looking

Member Number: 2135
B/S/T Feedback: (17)

OK, I think I need some help. I'm not sure I understand how the locker works. I see it locks down one axle to the diff housing but can't the other side still free wheel?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:48 AM
Banned

Member Number: 676

The two pins will go into the bevel gear on the inside of the diff, this will then become locked in place. With this gear locked the 3 spider gears can not rotate due to the bevel gear been locked. Therefore the bevel gear on the other side can not rotate either. Hope you understand that.

Last edited by defender experience : 07-20-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:07 AM
just looking

Member Number: 2135
B/S/T Feedback: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender experience View Post
The two pins will go into the bevel gear on the inside of the diff, this will then become locked in place. With this gear locked the 3 spider gears can not rotate due to the bevel gear been locked. Therefore the bevel gear on the other side can not rotate either. Hope you understand that.

Thanks, but how does it stop the bevel gears from spinning? If I have the axle in the air, holding the tire on the shaft that has it's bevel gear pinnned, couldn't I still spin the other side with my hand?