Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > 1:1 Rides > Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, & Planes!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, & Planes! Post anything you want on your personal vehicles!

Old 05-25-2019, 04:29 AM
Electric Monk on a bored horse

Member Number: 185
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

The running shoes are already paid for, so I'll put 'em on once in a while, but for daily use I'll run the turbines and whitewalls.

The "project car" part is winding down. We're down to chasing a couple of very minor electrical gremlins, or deciding not to. Now it's just a matter of piling the miles on it and making sure it's gonna stay "woke up". So far I've had no indication that it won't.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 19523
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Nice find there. Love those old cars and the way they just glide down the road. Kids these days don’t know what they are missing. Had a customers daughter pass on driving because he could only give her a low mileage crown Vic. She said it’s too big. Dumb kids.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:38 AM

As far as "too big" goes, have you seen a modern car? This old boat is usually the smallest thing in the parking lot. I guess that goes with the modern ethic of "I have to be able to crash it into something at 40 mph or I won't feel safe". Whatever. I just don't crash into things.

Electrical gremlins got worse. All the lights at the left front went haywire, starting with the cornering light flashing with the turn signal, then progressed to headlights on that side not working properly. Turns out the left and right side lights are grounded separately. Ran a new ground and everything works like it should.

So the Stuff That Doesn't Work list is down to the cruise control (which was disabled along with the horn since for some reason they share a circuit) but since that's useless east of Kansas City, I'm not gonna bother. And the passenger-side rear window doesn't work. That's a bad motor/regulator or possibly just deteriorated nylon drive balls. But that's such a PITA to get to, and so unlikely to ever be needed, I'm not gonna bother with that either. So while it may not be 100%, it's close enough.

Gave it a big blast of undercoating the other day, on all the seams and all the places likely to get hit with salt. I forgot to wear a beanie so I got a bunch of it in my hair. Whatever, it'll comb out (painfully).

Ordered an upgrade headlight kit that uses H4 bulbs and a relay to run them. So the headlights will all match, and will actually be useful. I had forgotten just how bad sealed beams are.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:16 AM

The Love Boat has been in regular service and has proven to be reliable (knock fake wood). Still loving the ride. Getting 15 mpg city, about a 1-2 mpg penalty from the Ranger, totally worth it for riding on a cloud over our third-world roads. AC still blows nice and cold, and the new tranny has settled in and working like it should.

Replaced the rear speakers with some Kicker 6x9s, and was unimpressed. Didn't seem to have any punch.

Then the cheap-*** Dual CD player started losing all its settings. Verified 12V constant power and ground 8 ways to Sunday and it was still doing it. Got real tired of resetting bass. treble, etc every third time I started the car. Then I remembered the old Kenwood I had in the Ranger til the CD started skipping over bumps. Time for a transplant. A skipping CD I can live with.

Doesn't have iPod control or a USB slot, but I can live with that for a freebie. CD hasn't skipped yet, because the Vic doesn't shake it (or me) to death like the Ranger did.

Now the Kickers sound like they should. Pro tip: If you want a decent stereo, expect to pay more than 30 bucks for it.

Now I've pulled the wheels off and put the Ansens back on:

Looks like it's wearing Air Jordans with a tux. Now I can refinish the turbines, the rims are a little scruffy.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:21 AM

I was never really happy with the JB Weld on the fuel tank, and why would I be. So I put the hurt on the credit card one last time. I was surprised- nay, shocked! Shocked, I tell you! to find out that not one, but two vendors supply new fuel tanks for these old non-collectible old-man cars. I chose Spectra over Dorman because they use tin plating rather than galvanizing and paint. The Ranger taught me that galvanized and paint is no match for NE Ohio winters.

90 bucks for a new tank, not bad. But then I decided I was only gonna do this once, and ordered a new pump, NOS sending unit since the original was a little buggy, vapor seal and neck seal. Damn near 400 bucks later, everything was ready to go in.

The new pump in the new tank, so shiny.

Doesn't really look like 400 dollars' worth of rust, does it? But there are a lot of incipient pinholes there, just waiting to open up once the weather turns to doo-doo.

If this was a GM car the tank would be easy, but Ford put 'em behind the axle instead of under the trunk floor, so it was a pain in the butt, which I why I only wanted to do it once. Anyway, I did it. Once. Took about 4 hours, probably didn't beat the flat rate but not bad for a driveway job.

Surprisingly, the old rubber seals were still pliable after 31 years in the gashole. So I re-used the neck seal, since the repro has a reputation for cracking (Mustang guys used up all the gennie Ford pieces). The new vapor seal was a NOS Ford part, probably also 31 years old. Didn't have to worry about the lines because they're nylon and will last if not forever at least long enough.

Ready for the next 31 years now. By then I'll be 86 and won't care or probably even know if something goes wrong.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:03 AM
Rollin' in the winnie

Member Number: 4269
B/S/T Feedback: (26)

Nice seeing the square box get some love. I’ve got an 89 country squire wagon and love it. Then picked up grandma’s 2001 grand marquis. I like the ergonomics and feel of the 89 better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 05:16 AM

I feel like the captain of the Love Boat every time I take it out.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:19 PM
The 4rd prize winner!

Member Number: 990
B/S/T Feedback: (22)

Rightous wheels dude!
Nice ride.