Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superelmer View Post
looks killer. small bit o' advice? how horizontal do the rear shocks get when you compress the rear end? when the shock changes angle that much thru it's travel, it does less to help you from bottoming it out, especially with the weight of a battery back there. maybe check out like a Wheely King sized shock, and mount it lower on the axle, with the lower link? keep it a little more vertical, for the bump absorption, but longer to keep your travel. i think it looks fantastic though!
So far the travel works out very well. Droop is the perfect length, and uptravel is just under the chassis rails - that worked out perfect. I'd like to say it was amazing skill that planned that out to a T, but it really just worked out that way The shocks do get softer higher in the axle travel as they go more horizontal and it seems like it's going to work out well based on the workbench squish test, but won't know for sure till i get it out on the road. I know what you are saying though, if anything else, I'd like to get them mounted lower on the axle simply cause it looks better. Defintely needing a swaybar in there as well.

I have a 2wd version with the same set-up coming soon - plan much longer lower links and better suspension overall as i won't need so much room on the chassis without 4wd.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Tore it all down to do some finishing details and shot the chassis flat black. Put it all back together and added the electronics...ready to run if it were not pouring outside. But it sure looks nice on the workbench!

i opened up the lower chassis to lose some weight, though I'm wondering if i need some protection down there. Might have opened it too far. Bottom of the chassis is fully countersunk, and a few extra holes...

All the electronics installed.

sleeved the rear lower links - looks much better.

Full droop

...and full compression
Old 05-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

looks sinister. those upper braces look like they will be more than enough to keep it from flexing.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh Snap!

Member Number: 2437
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Sweet!!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

Member Number: 5686
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

That is awesome can't wait to see some vids or pics of it in action
Old 05-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
looks sinister. those upper braces look like they will be more than enough to keep it from flexing.
I think so, it was pretty solid before i added them, now it's a rock front to rear.

just wish mother nature would play along, but it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow I have the feeling I'm going to need a swaybar in the back, but otherwise done with the chassis. Time for some bodywork....
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Classic Steel Designs Inc

Member Number: 7098

Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 AM

ok, so now i'm at a crossroads with the body. i had planned a cage and driver on this truck, but i'm thinking it's going to be a good performer and not sure i want to saddle it with the extra weight. but at the same time, i don't want to just slap a body on it and call it a day. Thinking of building a mini cage on the body itself so that i can swap it with a lightwight runner body if i really want to go out and beat on it. Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
RCMT'er

Member Number: 806

guy over on RCMT built a cage by plastic coathangers. Plastic welded the thing and it actually turned out nice. It was a wheelyking project.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:55 PM

hmmm...that's not a bad option. I've used them for bumpers, but never thought of a cage. Probably fairly easy to put together too. hmm...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Because I Can

Member Number: 1668
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Bravo sir, bravo
Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRC1 View Post
ok, so now i'm at a crossroads with the body. i had planned a cage and driver on this truck, but i'm thinking it's going to be a good performer and not sure i want to saddle it with the extra weight. but at the same time, i don't want to just slap a body on it and call it a day. Thinking of building a mini cage on the body itself so that i can swap it with a lightwight runner body if i really want to go out and beat on it. Any thoughts?
Try styrene tubing, roughly .2", and affix it to the body. If you build a fixed cage to the chassis and every want to swap bodies, the cage might not match the new body, which would be a PITA. The old New Era tube frame for the Clod Buster was like that; the roll cage part of it was way too tall for most truck bodies I have seen on it.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Flat Broke

Member Number: 2787
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

? Video? Anything?

Spending money I don't have, To buy parts I don't need, To impress people I don't know.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:14 PM

It's coming... the weather turned nice finally, so I am busy with the outdoor honey-do list almost done though!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

Member Number: 3176
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

go with styrene tubing for the cagework. much closer to 'scale' and will be easier to glue. and it wont add much weight at all to the truck. as for a driver, you could always just add a ''mini interior'' to the body itself. put a flat floorpan under the cab area, with the top half of a driver a steering wheel and a small cage section and just velcro it to the body itself.

sorta like the rally inner bodies. not a full interior just a partial.