Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Monsters, Scale 4X2, & Non scale R/C > Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 4x2 and Buggy R/C vehicles This is the place to put your Sand Scorchers, Bajas and other various 2wd offroad R/C's

Old 07-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Three .001 on every moving part.

Member Number: 2344
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
That is one nice SS
Thanks BillH. It is my very first SRB and it was a fun build for sure. I put in a lot of hard work on the body, but it was very rewarding work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankrjs View Post
I always liked the Wild One/FAV buggies Let us know how it performs/handles when you get it finished. I would imagine it is a very capable platform, espescially since you have a thorpe diff to cure one of this buggies major shortcomings
I never really paid any attention to any of the old Tamiya SRBs and buggies until got the 2009 Buggy Champ and it pretty much hooked me on the old VWs for sure. Since then, I have purchased a SS 2010 kit and now I have the W1 that I am restoring.
I will probably have video and the whole nine once it is completed there spankrjs. I test ran it the other day and it was plenty quick, especially with this bolted in the trans...

As for the Thorpe diff and axle conversion... I still have not installed that yet. I think I need different stub axles, so it is still sitting on the shelf. I will say that the stock transmission performed well during the test and never popped, clicked, or broke anything. The stock trans case is cracked at one of the bolt holes, so I will be replacing the case and I will survey the internals and then go from there.

Thanks for checking out my thread fellas.

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM

**UPDATE**

I received my set of alloy Sand Scorcher wheels from Rouge Element Components in the mail yesterday. They arrived with a mill finnish and will require a little work to make them shine, but the machine work is excellent and the design is unique, so let's see what we got...

The mill finish on the wheels does leave some work to be done, so let's go through what I did to bring on the bling on these bad boys. First up after taking the wheels apart was to sand and de-bur the wheel halves in preparation for some Mother's Billet Metal polish. I lightly sanded the wheel halves using 400 grit sandpaper until all the surfaces were smooth and free from machining marks.

Then using an old toothbrush, some Q-tips, and a felt polishing wheel, I started to carefully polish the wheel halves to bring out the shine.

Here is a comparison between an un-finished wheel on the left and the polished wheel on the right.

Here are all 4 wheels completely polished and ready for install.

These alloy wheels will still require the plastic center portion from a set of stock SS wheels with the mounting surface removed, so up next I will go through that particular process and detail the actual mounting of some tires. More to come..
Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM

Included with the wheels are a set of written instructions that will help guide you through the installation process.

You will need a stock set of wheel centers and they will need to be modified to fit onto the alloy wheels.

You must remove the "star" section from the canter of the stock plastic parts. I used a sharpie and drew a guideline and then with a sanding drum on my Dremel, I removed a little at a time until the centers fit over the new inner and outer alloy covers.

Now you need to install the modified centers into the tires just as you would according to the SS kit instructions.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Now that the centers are installed, it is time for some assembly. I pressed the rear part of the wheel in first making sure that the bead was properly seated all the way around the tire. I also applied a drop of Blue thread-lock to the threads of the rear half of the wheel and then installed the front half, taking care to make sure that the two halves lined up, then installed the supplied fasteners.

All four wheels are completed and ready for installation.

INSTALLED!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

bravo on the polishing it looks fantastic!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Cat$h!tOne

Member Number: 7257
B/S/T Feedback: (61)

I really like those rims and they look good on those sand tyres, but i'm still partial to the solid rims and treaded tyres you had mounted before. I have the treaded tyres on the grey plastic BC wheels, but am looking for the solid rims, do you still have a link or something as to where you got yours? I've seen a set pop onto ebay a few times, but not lately.(though i have not been on in a few weeks)
Old 08-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional

Member Number: 9689
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Really nice work on those wheels, they look superb. Nice addition to a great looking buggy.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJEEPBUILDER View Post
bravo on the polishing it looks fantastic!
Thank you sir. I do not want to make polishing the SS wheels from Rouge Element Components sound too easy, but the end results are worth the effort IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan46 View Post
I really like those rims and they look good on those sand tyres, but i'm still partial to the solid rims and treaded tyres you had mounted before. I have the treaded tyres on the grey plastic BC wheels, but am looking for the solid rims, do you still have a link or something as to where you got yours? I've seen a set pop onto ebay a few times, but not lately.(though i have not been on in a few weeks)
Thanks on the SS wheels, they are pretty nice IMHO.

Let's see.... the solid BC wheels are actually only an outer cover. I paid about the same price for the BC covers as I did for these complete front and back alloy SS wheels. They arrived in a "mill" finish also and required some de-burring, sanding, and polishing as well to make them look as good as they do in the photos. Yes, they are sold under the name pargu2000 on ebay. I do not currently see any of the BC/RR wheel covers offered for sale, but this is his ebay page. Maybe if you contine you to keep an eye on there, some will pop up again. http://shop.ebay.com/pargu2000/m.htm...&_trksid=p3686

I have never done any business with them, but Awesome Alloys offers a very similar wheel cover for the Rough Rider (Buggy Champ) also. http://www.awesome-alloys.com/page833.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxirob View Post
Really nice work on those wheels, they look superb. Nice addition to a great looking buggy.
Thanks taxirob. I'm glad I signed up for a set those wheels when I had the chance. I think they help my SS stand apart from the rest of the crowd so to speak.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional

Member Number: 9689

I think Awesome Alloys have stopped trading. I contacted them recently about gear covers and they said they weren't producing anything at the moment.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxirob View Post
I think Awesome Alloys have stopped trading. I contacted them recently about gear covers and they said they weren't producing anything at the moment.
Well, after your post I went searching and I have heard the same thing elsewhere about Awesome Alloys. I have never dealt with them so IDK. Seems like an odd time to stop making SRB wheels and parts. Especially with the recent re-releases of the Buggy Champ and Sand Scorcher kits.

ebay is going to be your best bet on finding a set of the solid face wheels.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 AM

Question Google Bots

So, I'm messing around on the ol' evilbay looking for RC stuff and I ran across this auction. I'm looking at the ad and the car pictured grabbed my attention...

Hmmm, I recognize that car. So I click enlarge and It dawns on me... That's my SS!

It is a picture of my SS build thread from last September.

http://www.tamiyacrawlers.com/forum/...er-2009/page22

Well, this is somewhat confusing since I've never bought anything from this seller and there certainly isn't any of his stuff on my car. The ad is for an aluminum bumper, which is what I have, but the bumper up for grabs in the ad looks to be made of chromed steel??? Then I went and had a look at the seller's feedback.... ouch!!! BEWARE
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 AM
is nice!

Member Number: 4148
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Awesome looking SS
I bought mine from the same guy but it was 100 British pounds for the front bumper and 90 pounds for rear cage. They cost more than my SS
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Cat$h!tOne

Member Number: 7257
B/S/T Feedback: (61)

Well that's not cool. At the very least he could of e-mailed you to ask for permission to use the photo. But if he makes them then why not post a pic of your own product? Seems shady to me.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I love my wife!!!!

Member Number: 1672
B/S/T Feedback: (2)

Sorry if its been asked, but what are the driver figures from? This is an awesome build for sure cant wait to see a video!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Whooooosh....

Member Number: 10023

I'm so jealous. Those two models are awesome. I really like the Sand Scorcher. Keep it coming dude.