Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > In General > Tools of the Trade
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Tools of the Trade If you have a question about what tools we use in creating our trucks here. Also discuss any tool experiences you have, the good the bad and the ugly! Hand tools to all out CNC machines!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Tracked vehicles fan

Member Number: 15583
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

I don't have any sherline mill distributors here. I only have here some Sieg clones, Proxxon and then all the German heavy equipment like Optimum etc.

But I have found this:http://www.cnc-step.com/html/cnc_fra...nstig__cnc.HTM
They have distributors here, I can get some discount, tutorial when i receive my mill, I have support to call and warranty.
Repeat precision is 0.03mm, it cuts alu, brass, copper, plastics etc.
I can upgrade the Z travel to 210mm.
I have seen it in action, seemed fine for hobby modeling. It even cut steel altough I don't want to do that.
Price is the cheapest you can get for German made machine.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Tis but a Scratch

Member Number: 17821
Wink Mill

Looks pretty nice, but seems to be designed mostly for flat stock. Not that that is a bad thing and if you can upgrade to 210MM depth that would probably be more then you would need. I guess it kind of depends on what type of things you intended to mill! Chassis's? Fine! Some other things then it might not be ideal. Still looks like it should do for most things!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Oh hai!

Member Number: 5041
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Seems a bit expensive for a cnc with a aluminium extrusion profile frame.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Oh hai!

Does it even have ballscrews? My german isn't very good but i got the impression it uses regular acme thread...

EDIT: just saw it on a picture, it uses regular acme thread. I would steer well clear.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Tracked vehicles fan

So about 2200.- with router is too much for this?
It has acme thread, speed variant is using ballscrews.

You can order somekinda kit, which makes every axis more rigid, would it help?
Anybody knows other European CNC's that look similiar and have better bang for buck?

You have to understand, that I don't have here much machines from where to choose.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Tis but a Scratch

Cool Screwed

I would say if you are spending that kinda dough I would look at one of the heavier duty German machines, like the Optimum you mentioned earlier, but try to find a used one! MAybe on ebay?

Also do you have Craigslist or some other local "for sale" forum? For sale in the newspaper, etc.

Many times I have heard of people picking up this type of machine locally for peanuts because, the people that have it want to get rid of it and don't know exactly how or don't want to hassle with moving it, because it's HEAVY! You might just look in your own area, you might be surprised what people have tucked away in their garages and barns!

Put a "want to buy" in the local hobby shop or hardward store!

Good luck
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Tracked vehicles fan

Yes but the optimum at the same price don't have CNC function and still has got acme tread.

Shipping from ebay sellers would be killer. yeah I got to look in used adds. Usually there are only big *** industrial machines that I don't need :s
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Tracked vehicles fan

So I emailed today the local dealer and he said that it is quite impossible to find used smaller mills here :s And I searched and found 0 too...

So I did some calculations and found out that for 2200.- euros I could have the optimum converted to CNC. I will set the budget to 2500.- because there always will be some things you can't see before the build, especially first time. That includes collets, clamps, few starting bits, drilling chuck and of course all the cnc equipment.
I will buy the mill and then later start converting, I will start with leadscrews and when I will be used to miling I will buy ballscrews. Hoss said that 0.002"-0.005" is the backlash so something like 0.001" is achiavable with backlash compensator.

Now I have to collect money and order in the end of the June, oh the mill I choosed is BF 20 L
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Tis but a Scratch

Thumbs up Bf 20 L

WOW that looks like a really nice machine and not too big! I think you may not have a big promlem with the Acme screws, especially to start with. If they were a big problem they would not sell the machine with them, probably won't be critical until you go to CNC!

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Tracked vehicles fan

Yeah for manual milling acme screws are all you really need, I meant that I don't change the screws when converting to CNC. I will do that later on because it needs little bit milling the plate and other stuff and I don't want to take too big bite at once! Acme can still do 0.001" when using correct setup and backlash compensator.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh hai!

Thats is pretty much exactly the machine i have. You can buy some brand new ball screws made to length and with end machining for a decent price on ebay. They arent the best but they are a great value.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Tracked vehicles fan

Yours were only 120 euros? I thought that ballscrews mean like 300-400 euros
Hmm, I might even consider putting them in at first try, was it hard?

Is clamping set enough for milling or I would need vice too? What collets and bits to buy when I order the machine? I know I will find out what I need later but what are the main sizes that everybody uses?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Tis but a Scratch

Wink Clamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madda View Post
Is clamping set enough for milling or I would need vice too? What collets and bits to buy when I order the machine? I know I will find out what I need later but what are the main sizes that everybody uses?
Kinda depends on what you are milling! I find clamps much easier for large flat items, but a vice can work well for certain applications you will probably need to have both, but top end machinist vices are EXPENSIVE!! Clamps are a good start and you can get pretty varied sets with lots of options for not too much money.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Tracked vehicles fan

I found this: http://conversioncnckit.com/product.php?id_product=16
Interesting offer, with shipping to me I got a quote 2850 euros.
I calculated that converting myself wouldn't be much cheaper ( and that price didn't include the time it will take) so I'm even thinking ordering from them. I didn't found anything negative about them in the internet. My only concern is that what is their build quality?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh hai!

Price sounds good, but be prepared that the machine is 110v and you will probably get hit with import taxes. Also is the shipping to your doorstep or to a harbor?