Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Starting Over Again!

Member Number: 3771
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Very nice build and an interesting chassis design, Great Job!
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM
ToYoTaH!!!

Member Number: 1688
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

This is one of the best large scale builds yet bro!!..Looks good on vid!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Builder of low end high budget vehicles...

Member Number: 4701
B/S/T Feedback: (31)

thanks all for the kind words! there's a lot of great builds here to measure up to.

i am debating a complete teardown and rebuild. (again) when i have the time. I didn't post all the pics, but this is the 3rd iteration of this poor truck.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 AM
the talkative lurker

Member Number: 3405
B/S/T Feedback: (7)

awesome work old school , glad you stoped lurking and stared building
Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 PM

lol - been building for years, just not posting.

I am working on V2 of this truck, i just ordered 2 Kershaw 650's and an EVX 14.4 ESC, should give it much more get-up and go. changing the suspension from a 3 to 4 link, though it might require some chassis mods. more pics coming.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM

started revising the chassis - work is progressing SLOWLY....but steadily. Removed the front clip and redesigned it to move the motors up about 1 inch. Should give me a little more clearance to move the axle up and install shorter shocks. Don't want to move the axle too high due to CG, but i think if the rest of the truck is lower overall, it'll be a fair tradeoff. Cutting the parts and painting shortly. If this does not work, going to redesign the chassis entirely with the tranny more centered in the chassis.

Oh, and picked up a power upgrade. Been doing a lot of low and slow driving, i need a speed and power fix. Look at those 650 cans!! 14.4 volts of mayhem coming. one battery is shown, the other is charging up for a Slash test run

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Modified mind

Location: Somewhere in sunny Southampton, supposedly the third most dangerous city to live in the UK
Member Number: 1978

Nice work, those motors should give it some get up and go!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 PM

i think it'll just be just a smidge faster....i was running 2 19t motors on 7.2 volts - now I'm up to 16.8 volts and 650's!

Had a change of plans, i decided to cut a new chassis. i kept the old one as is so i can revert back to a monster if i want, but i was looking for something a little simpler and lighter. the newfound power would put some serious stress on the drivetrain as it was, so i needed to beef up a few areas.

some pics of the new chassis....designed, cut and drilled this morning. Wanter to go lighter and get a lower CG. Since i plan on running smaller maxx size wheels, i no longer need the WK transfer case since i can gear down the e-maxx tranny enough, so i designed a standard 2 rail chassis that mounts the E maxx tranny right in the center. Lighter and less complicated. The 2 7 cell batts will hang off the side like the E-savage...it should all tuck right up under the body. I'll have to build in some wheelwells to protect the batteries though - she's going to kick up some dirt!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Do you ever leave the board?

Member Number: 1695
B/S/T Feedback: (6)

Looks great! I wish we could get all the big scale trucks together for some bashing. That would make some killer photos. You have plenty of speed to put some air under the tires
Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM

Amen! always up for a bash, and an excuse for a road trip! Dying to get out of the house again, been a long winter and you can only drive a wheely king so many times.

Chassis painted and semi-assembled, and standing again. I somehow botched the centerline of the chassis and the center tranny is a little further back than i wanted, about 1 inch. And also, the link mounts...oops. measure twice!! In any case, I think I can make it work.

Working out the 4 links with the new configuration...i have horrible axle steer both front and rear. Going to make new link mounts that attach the link to the back of the axle ilo underneath it, then i should have much better geometry. I have a couple of ideas for the mounts floating around, but if anyone has some suggestions, throw them out here!

The Jato shocks look a little puny on the chassis, but they work suprisingly well. They are the only single shock set-up i have that i can equip with heavy enough springs to support the weight of this beast, and keep the ride height where i want it (and the only project i've ever been able to use them on! Too large and heavy for anything else.) It's only about an inch travel per though when standing up, Very scale but i might be looking for more travel. Not quite sure which way I'm going here yet.

Body on shot to get an idea for the new stance. Much, much lower. maybe even coming down another inch. Thinking with the more scale stance, that front bumper needs to go and a custom one needs to go on...in due time of course.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 AM

It's coming along great! I think your geometry problem is because the belly of the chassis is up so high. If your mount points were lower it would help a lot. Obviously that means adding to the chassis or cutting a new one so I know that's not the option you want to hear! It looks like your mounting locations are ok. I bet you're getting the axle steer because the links are at such an angle and are really low on their range of motion.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 AM

You are absolutely correct. i cut it high to get the ground clearance and keep the chassis tucked under the body, but then it means working out the geometry to make it work in that configuration. I had it nailed on the prevous version with the 3 link, but the 4 link is a little more complicated. hopefully with changing the lower link mounts on the axle, i can reduce some of that angle to an acceptable level. If i have to, i'll lower the chassis mount points also, though I prefer not to if i don't have to.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Tamiya Nut!

Member Number: 3431

You've got some great chassis building going on there - very cool truck
Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM

thanks man - more to come!!

Parts on order: new wheels, 3 packs of revo sliders for new driveshafts, some 6/32 threaded rod and larger ball ends for new links, and a waterproof digital steering servo. Doesn't have the torque that the current one does, but it might be ok. Will install and see. Picked up link sleeves over lunch (aka brakeline) and should have all I need to get it running again.

Decided to bite the bullet, tear down the axles (again) and make new mount points for the lower links behind the axle ilo below them. Got the behind the axle link mounts done...well, on the rear axle anyway before the baby started freaking out.

It's times like these that i really wish i had a machine shop! used some aluminum plate and poly blocks and it looks certainly homemade, but it's actually very strong and should support the lower links no problem. Now i have to tear it all apart again and paint the aluminum for the links and shock mounts black and hopefully it all blends in.

and no, those are not the real links, using 4/40 rods to sort it out, then will cut the new ones.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 AM

Dust em with some flat black spray paint and you'll never know they're there