Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > 1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux!
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

1/8, 1/6 and larger scale Trux! Discuss your large scale projects here, 1/8, 1/6 and larger scales. Juggy, TXT, Clod, TF, MF and similar based rigs.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:51 PM

Member Number: 24965
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default 1/8 Scale Nitro Tube Chassis Gravedigger

Hi, this is a project I've been working on a for a while now, and I decided its finally time to share some pictures of what I've done so far. I have to give credit to Paul4x4 as my project is very similar to his and I did read through his thread many times while planning my own project. I wasn't going for a 100% scale replica and I didn't include all of the scale details Paul did. The design of my truck is mostly based off of Gravedigger 19 although I did modify it slightly.

The truck is about 75% complete, but I work slow so it will still take some time. I decided to use an HPI Savage 3 speed transmission. I may switch this out for a 2 speed if I don't like the 3 speed. The engine is an LRP 30x with a tigerdrive and buku clutch. I put this engine in my tmaxx to break it in. For the radio I am using a Spektrum dx6i so I can control the rear steer. I am using RC4wd Digger axles along with their beadlock wheels. I know the wheels and axles are slightly too wide, but if they will hold up to some abuse I am ok with that. I do plan on doing a backflip when the truck is complete . As promised here are some pictures. Let me know what you think.

Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:06 AM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

Chassis looks nice , good fit inside body. What tires are you planning? the proline ones are actually pretty good looking if you havent seen them.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Chassis looks nice , good fit inside body. What tires are you planning? the proline ones are actually pretty good looking if you havent seen them.
Thanks for the feedback, I will be using stock clod tires.

The proline tires do look like BKT tires. I just don't like that they aren't as tall as clod tires. I also don't think they would have enough traction.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 AM
I build Lowriders

Member Number: 1386
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Awesome work, man! Which Digger body is that?

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 10-18-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
Awesome work, man! Which Digger body is that?
Thanks! It's the 1/8th scale Parma Gravedigger. They are discontinued. I have 4 new bodies for this truck, plus that one in the picture which is on my Tmaxx. I should have got a few more bodies when I had the chance.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:52 PM

I've been busy lately so I haven't got as much done on this as I would like. I did get the 4 link mounts done. Next I will make some temporary 4 link bars out of threaded rod so I can figure out the lengths and get the axles mocked up.

I also found 10 more bodies so now I have a total of 14 not counting the one on my tmaxx.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:11 PM
I build Lowriders

Member Number: 1386
B/S/T Feedback: (1)

Man, awesome progress! Dear lord, you just "found" 10 bodies? lol

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."
Old 10-29-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielk View Post
Man, awesome progress! Dear lord, you just "found" 10 bodies? lol
Thanks! The body is discontinued so I bought as many of them as I could.

Once this chassis is finished I will start on the next one. My next chassis will probably be a Gravedigger 20 replica. After that I want to build a Cohen chassis like Gravedigger 29 - 33. This chassis is mostly based off 19 but I did mix in a few designs from different Gravedigger chassis.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:37 PM
I need to think of something catchy here...

Member Number: 2402
B/S/T Feedback: (27)

I personally like the slightly older short wheelbase diggers, before speed was the big thing they went for in freestyles. If you end up needing spare tires I just saw an article saying JConcepts is coming out with 2 new monster tires, one is the newer grooved style and bit shorter than clods called renegades I think & the others are called firestorms and are clod size.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
I personally like the slightly older short wheelbase diggers, before speed was the big thing they went for in freestyles. If you end up needing spare tires I just saw an article saying JConcepts is coming out with 2 new monster tires, one is the newer grooved style and bit shorter than clods called renegades I think & the others are called firestorms and are clod size.
I agree I do like the older style chassis as well. The boxed ends on the chassis were easier to build since I could make both frame rails seperately and attach them together. Since this is the first chassis I've ever built I decided to keep it simple.

I've seen the JC Concepts tires. The renegades look cool but I'm not really a fan of rumble tires and they are closer to 1:10 scale. The firestorms are about the right size but honestly I like the look of clods better and they have more tread.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:33 AM
Monster truck enthusiast

Member Number: 15569

Man, that looks sweet! It's always great to see some more scale monster trucks, especially nitros!

And thank you, I'm really flattered that my work has been an inspiration to you.

I can't wait to see more updates! (And I try to visit this forum more often...)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4x4 View Post
Man, that looks sweet! It's always great to see some more scale monster trucks, especially nitros!

And thank you, I'm really flattered that my work has been an inspiration to you.

I can't wait to see more updates! (And I try to visit this forum more often...)
I looked through your thread years ago and was amazed at how detailed you put into the truck. After learning more about rc trucks I finally got the confidence to start this build. I didn't do as many scale details as your truck because I was trying to keep it simple.

My truck is nearly done at this point. I made some mock up 4 link bars to get the lengths figured out. I need to shorten the front links a little bit.

I put an old engine in for mock up. I have a new lrp 30x that will go in this truck. I need to take it apart and finish up the chassis.

Here is how I am going to install the Freestyle Rc sway bars. I used a nylon shoulder washer for the bushing and 3/32 piano wire. I just need to attach a piece of tube onto the chassis for the mount.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:59 AM

I mocked up the rc4wd v2 beadlocks and as expected its a little bit too wide. I measured approximately 10.75" between the tires.

I bought another set of rc4wd v2 wheels that were machined down 5/8" and the beadlock rings are powdercoated green. With these wheels it will be 9.5" between the tires which I'm happy with. I'll put up some pictures to compare when the new wheels come in.