Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Scale 2.2's
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Scale 2.2's Discuss your scale trucks that use 2.2" sized tires. TLT based and similar.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 PM
Old Time'r

Member Number: 378
B/S/T Feedback: (0)

Sorry 4x4 I got "interrupted" by my adult responsibilities while I was cutting out my brakes this morning haha. I will post up pics of what I've got done as it may help illustrate the steps... I will get four rotors done tonight to the same finish as my first one in the above pictures. I need to hit up some hardware stores for a Dremmel router attachment. If I can't find one tomorrow I might hit up some local engraving company to slot my rotors. I'd do the groundwork layout- jig maybe?. I'd prefer to find the mini router attachment. I've had need for one in the past.... hold,... hold,....ho o o ld
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 PM
Old Time'r

Quick name that movie reference?.. Found some music from a certain soundtrack on the HDD in the Jeep and it was stuck in my head as I posted above. Okie dokie, some process shots;

Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Old Time'r

My rotors I'm making are an interference fit. That is to say they are pressed on with no other type of attachment. Through trial and error I found just the right brand of hole saw in the size I needed to accomplish this. With my ramshackle "machining" method and controling my "out of control" methodology I could consistently get just the right size hole in aluminum test scraps. We're talking 2 thou of an inch under, maybe a bit more? This wiggle room for tolerance is made a little easier owing to the fact that there is a slight taper on the Tamiya hub and it is made from soft pot metal...

So how many attempts did it take me to make four rotors?...
FOUR.., but wait one of those was a prototype never intended to be used. OK so I had to make five. No problem -one more, I got this

Here is a picture how many I ended up having to make to have four that worked. By any strech the failed attempts fit like a glove, just not like an OJ simpson glove... No good In the pic above you can see what I mean by ramshackle. The kerf the hole saw makes is very wide. Luckily for me as long as everything was clamped, didn't bind, drilled quickly (no excessive spinning of the drill press beyond making the hole- imediate shut down) and lastly not allowing the still spinning hole saw to make a "second pass" through the material -as in raising the handle/ chuck before shutting down. Eveything worked out fine I don't know where or when but one measly tooth broke off the hole saw and after that producing an interference fit was interfering with my patience and perseverance. Well, I hope that explains my lack of progress but I got'r done eventually. Cursing my lack of shop full of machine tools in the process lol... Mark

Last edited by cambodian tire : 04-25-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 AM
To many projects not enough time.

Member Number: 16060

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambodian tire View Post
My rotors I'm making are an interference fit. That is to say they are pressed on with no other type of attachment. Through trial and error I found just the right brand of hole saw in the size I needed to accomplish this. With my ramshackle "machining" method and controling my "out of control" methodology I could consistently get just the right size hole in aluminum test scraps. We're talking 2 thou of an inch under, maybe a bit more? This wiggle room for tolerance is made a little easier owing to the fact that there is a slight taper on the Tamiya hub and it is made from soft pot metal...

So how many attempts did it take me to make four rotors?...
FOUR.., but wait one of those was a prototype never intended to be used. OK so I had to make five. No problem -one more, I got this

Here is a picture how many I ended up having to make to have four that worked. By any strech the failed attempts fit like a glove, just not like an OJ simpson glove... No good In the pic above you can see what I mean by ramshackle. The kerf the hole saw makes is very wide. Luckily for me as long as everything was clamped, didn't bind, drilled quickly (no excessive spinning of the drill press beyond making the hole- imediate shut down) and lastly not allowing the still spinning hole saw to make a "second pass" through the material -as in raising the handle/ chuck before shutting down. Eveything worked out fine I don't know where or when but one measly tooth broke off the hole saw and after that producing an interference fit was interfering with my patience and perseverance. Well, I hope that explains my lack of progress but I got'r done eventually. Cursing my lack of shop full of machine tools in the process lol... Mark

Thus the reason I bought the rc4wd ones......

But I have to say your prseverance is impressive.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Old Time'r

Look'n good 4x4, with that lighting it looks like a 1:1 in somebody's garage at night time. love those hubs too...
Old 05-13-2019, 11:55 AM
This Space for Rent

Member Number: 2108
B/S/T Feedback: (15)

Glad to see you are still working on this

Very slick work with the rear axle narrowing
Old 05-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Old Time'r

Thanks Ray.... Need to update but have been de-winterizing our camper and doing some post winter Jeep maintenance
Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 AM
What's a hypotenuse?

Member Number: 17246

Really is nice to see you back on this Mark. Im loving everything your doing.

I feel your photo bucket pains. A big part of why I haven't really posted in a while is because of what a headache it is to do so. I was using tapatalk on the ipad which seemed the most streamlined system I could find, but even then it was taking up alot of time, especially when posting to 3 or 4 sites lol. I still want to post some updates when I can find the time, but Iíll basically have to re-teach myself in the process. Maybe the impending warmer weather with get motivated!
Take care.

Oh, and uh... yeah.. Braveheart.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Long Tall Texan

Member Number: 965
B/S/T Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop Shaft View Post
Really is nice to see you back on this Mark. Im loving everything your doing.

I feel your photo bucket pains. A big part of why I haven't really posted in a while is because of what a headache it is to do so. I was using tapatalk on the ipad which seemed the most streamlined system I could find, but even then it was taking up alot of time, especially when posting to 3 or 4 sites lol. I still want to post some updates when I can find the time, but Iíll basically have to re-teach myself in the process. Maybe the impending warmer weather with get motivated!
Take care.

Oh, and uh... yeah.. Braveheart.
I am right there with you. I have built 4 RCs in the last couple years and have not posted a thing. Photobucket knocked the wind out of my sail and I have not found a hosting site that works well in my mind. Photobucket didn't work well either, but I could work it better than the other sites.

The Bruiser is looking great and I have mine almost done. I am just waiting to pull the trigger on some decals and I can call it complete.

Harry
Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Old Time'r

Hello Aaron how goes it? Thanks for the interest... I have a few more things on the chassis to get finished and then I will get to turn my attention to some styrene work. That should pick up the pace a bit. Ding Ding!.. Braveheart is correct sir you've won a dancing banana .

Howdy Harry, thanks. I'm eager to see your build... Glad you're still working on it!

Just a heads up guys I have been using Imgur and it is very easy to use. Very few steps to take for each upload. 4x4lover suggested it to me and I'd say it's easier/ faster than pb. Have been working on the 1:1 4x4, brought my frame down to bare metal (90%) and repainted. I'm all done now so back to the Bruiser after some camping this weekend.. I'll post some pics in the 1:1 section. Thanks for the interest guys, I appreciate it. Nice hearing from you!.... Mark

Last edited by cambodian tire : 05-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:00 AM
C.U.S.T.O.M

Member Number: 873
B/S/T Feedback: (4)

Mark great work so far on this build. Nice and clean fab work. Looking forward to seeing more progress cause I plan to stick around here a bit👍

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk