Go Back   Scale 4x4 R/C Forums > Scale 4x4 R/C Trux! > Agricultural and Industrial Equipment
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Agricultural and Industrial Equipment A place for your agricultural, industrial, and other heavy equipment builds!

Old 06-29-2020, 04:53 AM
Another Newbie

Member Number: 2028
B/S/T Feedback: (0)
Default Barber-Greene Tracked Bucket Elevator - 1946

A while ago I tracked down a 1946 Doepke model #2001 Barber-Greene Bucket Loading Elevator. As usual mine is a little rough and needed some work, but really it's not too bad for being 74 years old. A couple parts long gone, chain skipped a tooth, many bent and tweaked parts, rusted. I like them a little rough anyway since I'm just "ruining antique toys", not *trying* to make collectors cry.

I find it's always interesting to look back at some of the older ways of doing things. Ok, I like the old stuff that you can see doing Stuff and Things when its working. Just look at it: spinning wheels, moving chains, buckets, adjustible stuff!

Plus, unlike my Tonka Sandloaders, it's actually taller than my Dumptruck.

It must be safe because this was built before Safety Warnings or OSHA!
Maybe we'll be Grandfathered into that new 'safety' thing. (But not my grandfathers, i don't think they ever had one of these.)

But seriously, what the heck is it?

Mine is a first-year model, it once had the rare Swivel Chute. Those broke so fast when new, that the rest of the production run got a Fixed Chute... i made brass replacements.

Let's try moving some dirt with the machine, uh, manually?

I've gathered a 1ch remote latching-relay, some shaft-couplers, replacement chain-idler wheels, gearmotor, brass stock, deans connector, some thin hobby plywood.
Sponsored Links

The sponsored ad above is only displayed to guests. Creat an account today to remove this ad!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:07 PM

Member Number: 28360

Just saw one of these fb marketplace,but it was mounted on a tractor chassis.....to far away from me but pretty neat...I'm like you I like to convert these old toys... Can't wait to see what you do with it
Old 06-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Another Newbie

Hey jerry, i didn't know you were over here too!

That was kind of a teaser to introduce the model, i think you'll really like where it's going once i blow it back apart for more pics. Electrically mine's got about a half hour of bench runtime already. I might need to play around with motors & gearboxes some to get it digging happily. I'll need to design & build the wooden crates to hide RX and Battery.

This is still keeping manual depth control, manual chute rotation. Plus I can't figure out a way to make the tracks drive without WAY too much redesign.

With all the metal, gearmotor, chains, and buckets moving around it's automatically got a sound kit!

Barber-greene #2001 1946-50
http://www.tnttoytrucks.com/DPKBGtrack1.html
http://www.tnttoytrucks.com/DPKBGtrack2.html

Barber-greene #2013 1953-56
http://www.tnttoytrucks.com/DPKBGwheel1.html

I've been trying to find a Tractor mounted one too. I think one of those should be able to remotely manage: Steer, Drive, Auger depth control, Loading power.

On the tractor loaders, it looks like expect the top conveyer belt to be bad, but most of their commonly lost/broken parts are available on ebay or a couple other sites.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 PM

LOL yeah here too.... like a bad penny I keep turning up...
That second one the #2013 1953-56 was the one I saw...
I watch for them too...this week I've seen 3 or 4 I didn't even know they made...

sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread..

Last edited by jerry56 : 06-30-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 AM
Another Newbie

That speed-swing looks like it'd be really challenging. That's not a hijack, some of my threads have gone WAY off route.

So first i made the missing things and got everything mostly straightened and back to smooth running.

Since the stock crank had a 5 tooth cog, i ordered a set of replica 5 tooth 'small chain idlers' for the machine from a toy parts dude on ebay.
After cleaning up the parts, i soldered a brass shaft into that gear, made flats on other end of shaft to take setscrews in motor coupler. Opened up a motor coupler to fit the shaft and gearbox outputs.

Current gearmotor labeled as
Jf-310 12v dc, shenzehn jinlu motor co ltd

Shorter motor i'm also considering
20ga130d012 , dc 12v , 200rpm

Since i only care about turning 1 channel on and off, i wired up a 1a (700mah running) "Mini Relay Wireless Switch 12V 433Mhz Remote Control Relay Switch, Secure 1-Channel Micro Receiver with Transmitter System in Latched Mode DC 3.7V 5V 6V 7V 9V 12V"

To run the motor & rx off the same power supply the wiring is a little different
Red, Yellow to Deans +
Black, New wire to Deans -
Blue to Motor
New wire to motor

Motor runs off of Normal Open and Com relay pins
Red A button turn on, Grey B button off

Then made a motor mount that's basically "this is only temporary, unless it works".

Which brings it to about here

Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 AM

I really like that wireless remote, you really can't even see the motor it's hidden pretty well....
Old 06-30-2020, 04:05 PM
Another Newbie

Thanks, that gearmotor was the biggest that would fit into the engine shroud. I'm not sure yet if i can put the rx in there with only the antenna coming out. That'll probably take some range tests to decide.

I'm thinking i'll make a wooden tool or accessory tray between the engine and lift frame to hide the battery under. Maybe put the rx down low on the other side of engine if it can't be heatshrunk & tucked into the engine shroud.

I really wanted to keep the models ''magic'' by not showing any of the power mods.

I might make some wooden walk-boards along side the tracks so i can have an operator standing on the machine, but without having track drive it's not completely needed.

As far as my entire conversion plan, it's about down to take better pics, and some videos. Although i'll probably need some decals to proudly announce it's a Barber-Greene.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:13 PM

I like it..!!!
I think your walk boards and a wooden box of some kind will look fine, I'm sure back in the 50s contractors and companies made all kind of changes to the basic machine to make it work better for them.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:29 PM
Another Newbie

The orange machine in the first posts video has some type of walkboard and a tractor seat mounted outboard of the track on the non-drivechain side. With a few other controls scattered along that side of the frame. Some pics have a type of guard that looks to help keep material off the engine.

Based on what little i've found so far, I'm thinking this one is based on a Barber-Green model 82A Loader.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Wasting Time'r

Member Number: 14261

I like everything going on here. Love the way you go about making your stuff work. These are the type of cool machines that I like watching on YouTube.

A half thought on the walking tracks, would straight forward /reverse travel be an option? No steering, just one motor drive, tie the tracks with a solid axle so you can jog the machine back and forth to keep feeding it or free it up when something goes wrong?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:26 AM
Another Newbie

I'm glad you're enjoying watching these old toy builds! It's fun to straighten the old metal, do some restoring, and get it moving under it's own power for the first time.

I'm not sure about adding track power, but there's a chance. I pulled a track off for a better look, and the track wheels are build about like a sewing machine bobbin. Luckily they didn't use the cross rod for the tracks 3 point leveling suspension to hold the track wheels, so the wheel pins are independent for each track wheel.

These guys got the wheel diameter right, so it looks like i could possibly add several rod or something across the Auger-side trackwheels to catch in the flats between the Tab & Slot of the track attachment system. It would take some little gearmotors with a bunch of torque to run it though. Then i'm not sure how much grip flat steel tracks have without any cleats.

It would take even more motor torque if i ever decided to build this Barber Greene model 82-A into the 82A-M with scratch building the concrete mixing "Batch Plant" or asphalt paving "Travel Plant" accessories to drag along behind it.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:50 PM

LOL... never take the hood off....because the work just multiplies...nice work so far, can't wait to see this working....
Old 07-08-2020, 04:20 AM
Another Newbie

Here's what's going on under the machine

The track wheels currently ride on solid rivets. So it'd need an axle adapter thing to attach a bobbin looking wheel to a short gearmotor. Probably need some bushings or sealed bearings. Then mount gearmotor to the track frame. The wheels need drive lugs.

This machine weighs close to 10 pounds (4 kg?) only moving at very slow speed, so maybe the smooth steel track pads have enough grip? If not it's going to need grousers or pins or something added. Not sure if it could crowd the auger into a material without spinning, or maybe that would act an overload clutch?

It should be possible to power the tracks, but it'll probably take more tooling than i've got right now. Hopefully most of the stock parts could work, otherwise you're going to have to change to a chain setup with track pads on like the SmallHaul doepke 'Unit Cable Hoe' conviersion. Or maybe theres a tank that could be a good donor?

Another issue is i'd then have to put a it on atleast a 3 ch radio, either programable with 3 escs, or need like a servonaut tankboard.